VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 30, 2009, 06:56 PM

Last edited by Prime Blue; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:13 AM

It seems this soundtrack has 2 different releases, one with a blue obi and one with a red one. Not sure of any differences other than those.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 07:43 AM

I wouldn't be suprised if Kenji did tracks 30 and 31; he is listed under Sound Program in the game credits after all. He did all the other SFXs (32 and 37) and composed the themes of older areas (i.e. Brinstar, Norfair). I'm also in belief that he did Item Room [aka Silence] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6rh92CJkXo) (not on this album), as it was also originally composed by Hirokazu Tanaka, and Ambience [aka Game Over] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4psrz4zL-Y), which is a component of Item Room/Silence.

Minako appears to be limited to just new areas and bosses, and it also seems that those are the more suspenseful themes, so I'd assume she did Chozo Statue Awakens [leads into one of the Big Boss Confrontation BGMs] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwXUtFX6IhA) and Hostile Incoming [aka Tension] [leads into the other Big Boss Confrontation BGM] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FC7dEmQu4M) in relation to the boss themes

Finally, Kenji had to have done everything else (aka the cinematics), as "Theme of Super Metroid" (his) essentially leads into Approaching the Space Colony (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSRtv6HAVtA) and is the same type of cinema scene, text and all, and Deserted Ceres Space Colony (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hLSBKjkgF8) is SE only. This also applies to Space Colony Explosion (SE only), Approaching Planet Zebes (same as Approaching the Space Colony), Departure from Zebes and Mission Clear (both heard before Ending [heard in Arrange Version] and both include a part of "Theme of Super Metroid").

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jun 29, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyblunder View Post
It seems this soundtrack has 2 different releases, one with a blue obi and one with a red one. Not sure of any differences other than those.
Well, going by what was said on one Yahoo! Japan auction, the red OBI belongs to the first press version of the soundtrack.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:34 PM

I was just playing this game, & I noticed the 'Norfair Ancient Ruins' track cuts short.

Are any of the other tracks missing parts of music?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
I was just playing this game, & I noticed the 'Norfair Ancient Ruins' track cuts short.

Are any of the other tracks missing parts of music?
Yep indeedy. "Norfair Red Soil Area" cuts off early and the part where the piano comes isn't there.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:20 PM

Oh, you mean Brinstar Red Soil Area...

God, why?!

I can't believe I didn't notice that - that was the best part!

Are there any other albums (compilations, maybe?) that might have this complete track?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:50 AM

"Maridia - Rocky Underground Water Area" & "Mother Brain" fade out fairly prematurely as well.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Oh, you mean Brinstar Red Soil Area...

God, why?!

I can't believe I didn't notice that - that was the best part!

Are there any other albums (compilations, maybe?) that might have this complete track?
My bad, yeah - totally ment Brinstar.

To be perfectly honest, I just stick with the SPC rip for this game. Considering the flaws in the recording I don't think this album is worth the plunge - it's more of a collector's item than viable way to listen to the game's music. Don't get me wrong, the music's great but....

Most people would be quick to point out the arranges make the album worth it, but they're not too high on my list. Really, the whole situation on this album is somewhat simular to that on Ninja Gaiden -G.S.M.-.

As for the original Metroid soundtrack, if you're into it you're better off listening to it via the Famicom 20th Anniversary Original Sound Tracks Vol. 1(http://vgmdb.net/album/404) where it is free of footsteps, jumping and annoying alarms. It isn't as celebrated as SM's score, but I really like some of Hirokazu Tanaka's work on it - like the Broque-esque influences in "Small Boss Room (I) ~ Kraid."
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:33 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Style guide question: what makes it more appropriate to use dashes vs. colons? Just wondering if there's any sort of standardized reasoning behind it besides personal preference. :-)
Old Oct 19, 2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liontamer View Post
Style guide question: what makes it more appropriate to use dashes vs. colons? Just wondering if there's any sort of standardized reasoning behind it besides personal preference. :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_punctuation#Colon

Though used uncommonly, the fact that colons are used in Japanese at all eliminates them as a designated replacement for those gaps. Besides, there are times where it just doesn't feel right.

ex. 中間ステージ デューオ戦 (Midway Stage - Duo Fight) (From Rockman 8 OST)

The stage itself reuses the opening stage music and yet the stage is not simply just the fight with Duo. A colon would not do here. If the track title translated to "Midway Stage - Path to Wily Tower," then I would definitely change it to a colon. The spaced dash (i.e. [word] - [word]) is just not seen in Japanese since they don't space their words normally, so this not only feels right, but it also looks right, since we already put spaces between what originally did not have spaces. Is also has to do when a single wave dash between words is not there.

ex. 登場ファンファーレ~ブリンスタ (Entry Fanfare~Brinstar)

I also think colons are best kept to subtitles to avoid confusion and allow spaced dashes to then go unchallenged.

ex. ロックマン7 宿命の対決! オリジナル・サウンドトラック (Rockman 7: A Fated Confrontation! Original Soundtrack)

NOTE: Putting spaced en dashes between mostly katakana is unnecessary, since they essentially did it for us.

ex. スーパーメトロイド エンディング (アレンジバーション) [Super Metroid Ending (Arrange Version)]

For square quotation marks (「), I make them double quotation marks and any double quotations marks (") within them are made single ('). I have yet to see the case where all three are used at one time.

Lastly, for interpuncts (・), aside from the obvious case (i.e. オリジナル・サウンドトラック), I would make it a slash whenever regular dashes, wave dashes, ambersands (&), plus signs, or even と ("and") are, for whatever reason, unused, and also because commas, like colons, are used in Japanese, thus designating slashes as the translation for interpuncts due to their general non-use.

ex. ナナシマ4・5の島 (Nanashima 4/5 Island)
ex. 戦闘!ディアルガ・パルキア (Battle! Dialga/Palkia) --> Official English translation for SSBB [The part that uses the slash, I mean].
ex. 戦闘!ユクシー・エムリット・アグノム (Battle! Yuxie/Emlit/Agnome)

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Oct 31, 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 01:28 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I agree mostly, but some things.

『 -> ' (as opposed to 「 -> " since 「 works almost exactly like a quotation mark), ゛->" (used in certain cases due to western influence probably).

登場ファンファーレ~ブリンスタ -> Entry Fanfare ~ Brinstar. I think without spaces it look wrong in English sentences (it should be like 'A then B' rather than 'A-B').

Interpuncts are just generic separators, so spaces, :, -, /, etc can be used case by case (I agree with your / example but other times it doesn't work too well. There is also the / -> /)

In general JP puntuation can be somewhat random so I favor being consistent within the tracklist itself.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 04:48 AM

Duh?

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/141695825

Different obi, what the hell?

o_O
Old Nov 4, 2010, 05:04 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Seems like the Red Obi is the first print. While the blue obi is the regular version.

Old Nov 4, 2010, 05:23 AM

Crazy shit............ I didn't know. If I was rich I would buy those.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Seems like the Red Obi is the first print. While the blue obi is the regular version.
One of my friends is a collector. He has both versions. The blue one (reprint) has a Metroid on the disc. The first print does not have a Metroid on it.

UPDATE: Just wanted to add here that the disc says tracks 18 and 21 are in mono.

Last edited by CaptainCommando; Dec 31, 2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 02:22 PM

There's a bootleg copy of this called "Super Metroid Sound in Action 15th Anniversary".

http://www.videogamemm.com/thehorde/...2_itemId=41969
http://blog.gamekult.com/blog/ketsue...nmade-ost.html

Not sure where he got it from, but it's obviously bootlegged. A FLAC rip has been floating around for awhile, so that's a likely source.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 01:20 PM

Yet one more update. Here's a list of all the sound issues I spotted (from the Super Metroid section - the Metroid 1 section is just horrendous in and of itself, hence why I give the album a low rating):

Opening [shorter loop, but ok given context]
Theme of Super Metroid [missing second half]
Planet Zebes - Arrival on Crateria [fades out early]
Crateria ~ The Space Pirates Appear [fades out early]
Brinstar - Overgrown with Vegetation Area [short intro, cuts out at loop point]
Brinstar - Red Soil Swampy Area [short intro, missing second half]
Wrecked Ship [Missing end of loop]
Maridia ~ Rocky Underwater Area [missing end of loop]
Norfair - Ancient Ruins Area [missing end of loop]
Mini Boss Confrontation BGM (Spore Spawn, Botwoon) [sudden end]
Big Boss Confrontation BGM (Kraid, Crocomire, Phantoon) [4 loops; sudden end]
Big Boss Confrontation BGM (Ridley, Chozo Statue) [3 loops, sudden end]
Tourian [Missing End of Loop]
VS Mother Brain [missing end of loop]
Ending [Missing final victory fanfare]

Soundtrack is also missing Deserted Ceres Space Colony, Tension before a Confrontation, and Chozo Statue Awakens, as mentioned above, along with all the cinematic cutscenes. You can kind of tell why some of this was removed, but it's really odd considering how long many of the boss themes play - there was clearly room for all the audio.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 09:53 PM

Which version of this album is this?

The disc looks different than the one posted on the site here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cgi.ebay.com 2012-2-5 22-55-21.jpg (14.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Ghaleon64; Feb 5, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 09:59 PM

Oh, and the "bootleg" 15th anniversary album seen in the links above say "Fanmade" on the sites themselves... So he made them.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:59 AM

Dang, had a chance to buy that one I listed up there for $50 but was hesitant because of the different disc image... And now it's gone. Man, everyone else wants a lot of money for this. :/
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:33 PM

Should Track 3 and 22 be Space Warrior or Galactic Warrior?
Track 15 in English could be titled Space Science Academy
Track 27 change small for mini?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:17 AM
VGMdb Advisor

3/22, Since 宇宙海賊 = space pirates, 宇宙戦士 = space warrior I guess?
15, no "space" in the JP title
27, sure, that's how it's typically called.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 01:59 AM

Here is a pic of the first print of SRCL-2920 with red obi.
The white sticker tells, that this is the first print with "Super Metroid Original Sticker".
Pic2 is the second print with blue obi (without sticker).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRCL 2920.1.jpg (24.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg SRCL 2920.2.jpg (39.0 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by natori; Jun 7, 2014 at 02:22 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 09:08 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Could someone provide descent scans for this album ?
Shame we have these small pictures for years now...
Old Jul 21, 2014, 09:35 AM

Somewhat better quality scans at Discogs but still a lot of stuff is too small to see/read:
http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1807680
Old Dec 6, 2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
NOTES...Tracks 18 and 21 are in Mono.
I noticed that there is a small difference between left and right channels in those tracks. Especially in track 18, the volume is more to the right side. Can we still call it mono, regardless the center displacement?

Last edited by Hellier; Dec 6, 2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 05:32 AM

Is there knowledge of how rare the first print is, relative to the ordinary version of this album?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrolack View Post
Is there knowledge of how rare the first print is, relative to the ordinary version of this album?
I owned this album back in 2003 and I got the red obi with the sticker and paid $125 after fees and shipping. At the time, I didn't know there was a blue obi version. To this day, I have only seen red obi versions, so I'd say the blue obi is harder to find.

I would never re-purchase this album and I was horrified when I discovered how much of the Super Metroid soundtrack was missing. This has NO VALUE whatsoever to me. If it were reprinted and corrected, then sure, I'd gladly buy it.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 06:28 AM

Looking at recent prices, I saw a blue obi version sell for 15000 yen on YJA. Meanwhile, a red obi version (seemingly without the sticker) has been bid up to 18000 yen, with one day remaining. That is interesting given Jodo Kast's observations.

It is too bad about the audio issues - really this album is more of a collector's item than anything.