VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:03 PM

For me the only parts of interest are the PSP credits (glad it's included) and the booklet. For that the price is a little steep.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:33 PM

Whoever does eventually buy this, I'd love to see the interviews for potential translation. Done a lot of Sakuraba stuff lately relating to Valkyrie Profile... curious what he says about this game.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfab View Post
I have bought one, I feel great
Until next year I won't buy it so, please, share with us the comments and interviews!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 04:17 AM

I wonder if that box has the mana cannon music (the one you hear when mid galds fires their cannon against dhaos's army)
the other ost or gamerips never got that one :/
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:44 PM

So, apparently there's no composer breakdown in here, as I feared. It only confirms a couple of new tracks via the special interview, namely "Mint" and "Raising a Curtain" for Tamura as well as "Sylphs'", "Conclusion" and "Who Is Good or Evil?" for Sakuraba. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Too bad...
Old Oct 23, 2015, 08:06 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Notes from the liner... notes. It doesn't read well but you get the idea. Enjoy (?).

Spoiler:
From the interview
* During his Deja-vu days Sakuraba saw Wolfteam was hiring people part-time and sent a demo tape, wanting to live off from his compositions. His soon-to-be-boss Masaaki Uno hired him full time. Sakuraba never played any games, nor was used to computers so he had to do that first.
* The demo tape surprised Uno and wanted to hire him immediately.
* Tamura too was in a band and wanted some work related to music, saw they were hiring. He did the interview with Sakuraba and the company's boss Masahiro Akishino. His music was very different from Sakuraba's and he never had played games but was hired, doing stuff related to vocals and others (with some the help and tricks from Sakuraba).
* The music request would be like "sad song", "fast song" and stuff, also like "dungeon", "field.
* There are accounts of Sakuraba writing songs really fast but he denies, it was really more like the schedule was super tight so he had to work turbo.
* Both did sound effects (Tamura around Hiouden II).
* Tamura comments Ryota Furuya was a part-timer, and his music was more of a classical type. Sakuraba did the most songs, then Tamura, lastly Furuya.
* As for who-did-what, Sakaraba says the complicated, banging songs are his (laughs).
* Tamura add the opening, boss, etc, ie. "main" songs are Sakuraba's. Field are his and Sakuraba's. Furuya did stuff in a more "I want to write this" vibe; not really many songs.
* The music style (in ToP's case more orchestra and less rock than prev games) was decided by other staff.
* The sound driver was done by the person in charge since Hiouden, which he fussed over. Sakuraba was always asking for better sounds too.
* Sakuraba says he [/they, Tamura doesn't comment] wasn't involved in ports after the SFC version, just handed over(?) the data.

From the track interview/commentary
* Sakuraba did about half, Tamura did 1/3. Battles and heavy songs are Sakuraba's, Tamura had many event and character songs.
* "TAKE UP THE CROSS" (Sakuraba): simple and loop-conscious.
* "BE ABSENTMINDED" (Tamura): like FIGHTING OF THE SPIRIT and many others, made like a 'singable melody'.
* "MINT" "ARCHE" (Tamura)
* "RAISING A COURTAIN" (Tamura): both did field tracks but this one is Tamura's. They divided their work like "list from to here". The cleaner(?), melodious tracks to Tamura, the heavy and dark to Sakuraba.
* "SYLPHS'" (Sakuraba): Sakuraba was asked for a windy song as it was for a wind spirit. So he added some white noise from an analog synth. Tamura asks Sakuraba if he tries changing the key whenever he can, but he responds he doesn't really think about it.
* "SAKURABA SOLO" (Sakuraba): real tough to implement (piano only bank, MIDI data kept to minimum). The line in ToP where the Sakuraba NPC says he 'plays better when tipsy' it's because he drank a lot at the time (not anymore).
* "OLIVE VILLAGE" (Sakuraba): vacation, latin type (which he likes, also jazz rock and fusion).
* "FIGHTING OF THE SPIRIT" (Tamura): never thought it'd get that popular, pitch-bend. Tamura's melody loop style is maybe rock (ex Beatles) type, but also loves japanese pop songs.
* The writer comments FIGHTING was arranged in the PS1 OST by Sakuraba [this is wrong, it's credited to Masayuki Sakamoto], Tamura likes this one a lot and the guitar used.
* "FINAL ACT", also "THE SECOND ACT" (Sakuraba): Sakuraba says it's a 'good tempo' song. Tamura comments the 'slap' [?] is quite Sakuraba-like, and he agrees he likes a lot.
* "CONCLUSION" (Sakuraba): 'something special has come' vibe.
* "WHO IS GOOD OR EVIL?" [implied Sakuraba]: goes after CONCLUSION, Tamura comments it a bit baroque, which Sakuraba says maybe it's because he likes baroque style.

Fin.

Since Sakuraba confirms he/they didn't handle the ports let's see:
Spoiler:
PS1 staff roll:
* PlayStation Version Data Making: Hiroyuki Suzuki, Kazufumi Kurosawa, Kazuya Ishizuka, Kenichi Suzuki
* Music composer: Motoi Sakuraba, Shinji Tamura
- The only relevant credits I could see are the data-making dudes (rest are regular programmer and graphic people).
- From those, I think Hiroyuki Suzuki has composed while the rests are planners, maybe he converted the music?

GBA staff roll
* Sound Manager: Shuji Ikegami
* Sound Arrangement: Takeshi Arai
* Sound Program Support: Shuji Ikegami
* Localization Music Composer: Hiroshi Tamura
* Music Composer: Motoi Sakuraba, Shinji Tamura
- I assume Takeshi Arai did the port, which makes sense since he did ToP arrangements in Symphonia and 8-bit music in 7th Dragon.
- Hiroshi Tamura should have done "OPENING(OVERSEAS)" and maybe "TOMORROW IS A HOLIDAY(OVERSEAS)" but could be Arai again since it's just the original version (GBA "TOMORROW IS A HOLIDAY" is an arrangement of YUME-WA OWARANAI).

PSP staff roll: (in the PSP section)
* Music Composer: Motoi Sakuraba
- Meaning "CREDIT(PSP)" would be his (if it wasn't evident enough)

Other notes:
- Missing 3 cutscenes tracks used in ToP PSX (by Sakuraba I assume).
- Missing the lower pitch variations of Morlia Gallery SFC (also Triumph PS?).
- uses sound test names where available but keeps the slight differences between them (ex. MYSTERIOUS JA"P"ON <> MYSTERIOUS JAPON / SYLPHS' <> SYLPH), I approve.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 02:42 PM

Thanks, really thanks!
As for Second Act and Final Act, both are my favourite Map World themes made ever.
Destiny DC Premium Final Act is just... love.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 05:30 PM

Thanks Dag!
So the dancing around solid credits continues even with this. -_-; At least it's definite confirmation that Furuya did contribute (however little) music. Are you sure they were not involved with the port to PS1? In the "PS1" soundtrack I recall at least Tamura saying porting it was hard, maybe he did it alone all along? The "PlayStation Version Data Making" people all definitely did nothing sound related going by their roles in other Wolfteam/Tales titles (Hiroyuki Suzuki is unfortunately phonetically a common name, the one here never composed). Also interesting that they name dropped Uno and Furuya, but avoid doing so with Hatsushiba.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 01:29 AM
VGMdb Advisor

True about Hatsushiba (more exactly Sakuraba calls him the "programmer in charge of the driver").

Sakuraba does say that, and Tamura says nothing.
Q: "After the SFC version ToP was ported to various hardware, but were you involved in the porting?"
S: "No. Just 'handed over(?)' the data." [the scan is tiny but I think that's the verb]
I guess it's possible they just forgot. The miscredit Sakuraba for the FIGHTING arrange and nobody blinks an eye, after all.

Let's see the ToP PS liner notes (LQ version)
Spoiler:
Sound creator: Toshiyuki Takizawa
* blah blah

Music: Motoi Sakuraba
* This time, for the remake of the PS version the hardest thing was, in addition of having lots of songs, not knowing which was what. It's quite irresponsable for me to say that, but I was in the situation of not knowing which ones were my songs. Plus, they were composed long before, so after hearing them again I found myself getting embarrased and thinking "I was doing that?", and had quite complicated feelings about it.
So I look forward to these remaked songs by the sound creator Takizawa.

Music: Shinji Tamura
* It was been about 5 years since TOP SFC. I feel it was the first big job in game music I was involved.
This time for the CD, when digging up and listening again I had many "I should have done that here" and thinking "maybe I've grown up a bit" while being embarrased, and such complicated feelings.
This time, we have lyrics for Arche's song, and Arche (Mika Kanai) sang it. Originally it wasn't composed as a song so I was worried and looking forward to how it'd turn out. Anyway, I'd be happy if when you listen to TOP's songs they (?) various feelings.

Programmer: Tatsuro Udo
Graphics: dude 1
Graphics: dude 2
Sales: dude 3

I not sure that implies they were involved in the PS version (the wording is very ambiguous), but take that as you will.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
I not sure that implies they were involved in the PS version (the wording is very ambiguous), but take that as you will.
Thanks again, then I remembered it wrongly. Sounds like Sakuraba had all MIDI data even by the other composers, and one of the programmers (who also touched the sound driver) or sound designer Horiguchi did whatever was needed to make it work for the port. It's notable that after Hatsushiba and until Ikegami somewhen between Eternia and Destiny 2 the Tales series (and Wolfteam/Telenet as a whole) had no dedicated sound programmer and the original Destiny essentially ran on stock General MIDI driver. So it's not farfetched that Phantasia PS1 actually has the verbatim unchanged MIDIs by the composers, while Phantasia SFC (which had plenty different instrumentation and arrangements) was optimized by Hatsushiba during the conversion to the system.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the detailed insight and translation, Dag! For the composer breakdown... I'm not really familiar with Ryota Furuya, but it seems his style is a mixture of Sakuraba and Tamura. More than three different (Japanese) sources claim "The Second Act" as Furuya's, which could be true, as it's a bit too simple for Sakuraba and too developed for a Tamura piece. Other sites, such as this one make guesses, who composed what, but from what I've red, some of the songs are wrong, like "Olive Village" beeing attributed to Tamura, while it is in fact Sakuraba's composition. Here, Furuya is attributed to "Freeze", "Morlia Gallery", "Abyss of Thor", again "The Second Act" and "Biting Cold" (which I doubt, as the bassline and the chimes sound like a typical Tamura track, like in Vesperia, for example). Another site lists among the confirmed tracks "Lake on Ymir", "Threatening Sky", "Fulfill Mission", "Overcome Difficulties" & "The Second Act" clearly as Sakuraba's compositions, which I also believe they are.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 02:35 PM

@Mac_Tear: atwiki.jp is a freely editable wiki site similar to e.g. wikia.com. Considering that it says the arranger of the two arranged pieces on the "PS1" soundtrack is unknown while we do know that Masayuki Sakamoto did them I don't think there's new insight to be found there (no sourcing doesn't help).
Old Nov 2, 2015, 03:05 PM

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Last edited by ChunkyLover130; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:42 PM

Disc 3 is being recalled and exchanged due to track 11 "I miss you..." lacking an instrument (I think it's the oboe?) in the recording at 2:00.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 04:50 PM

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Last edited by ChunkyLover130; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:24 PM

Just acquired a copy of this from Yahoo auctions, and it does have the Disc 3 - 11 defect. Did anyone here ever get their disc replaced? And anyone know if it's possible to still do so? (I suspect the answer is no)
Old Jul 1, 2018, 04:59 AM

I bought it through a friend from Clarice themselves and had to send the CD back to Japan to have it replaced. There was no hassle for my friend to get the replacement however, I think Clarice even paid for the postage when he sent it in.
I would check their site if they have listed a period for when replacements can be done.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 06:13 PM

Ah shit. I got this album shortly after it was released and never saw this thread. I just checked and mine has the defect, too. In theory they should have made roughly the same amount of replacement discs as initial prints of the album, no? The notice is still live on their site's product page, so maybe I'll try emailing them.

Last edited by Aifread; Jul 3, 2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:06 PM

Cool, we're in the same boat. Well, I just emailed them about it, hopefully in not too broken Japanese. Will update this thread if I get a response.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychonotes View Post
Cool, we're in the same boat. Well, I just emailed them about it, hopefully in not too broken Japanese. Will update this thread if I get a response.
So did you ever hear back? I flaked and never got around to emailing them.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 08:10 PM

I did, yes. So they're still offering the replacements. As I suspected, they won't ship overseas, but they offered to mail the disc to any Japanese address I provided, so I had them send it to a friend, who told me it's now arrived at his place. In my case, they didn't require me to send the original disc back; they just asked me to email a photo of my copy of the ToP box and the original disc 3 to verify ownership. Couldn't say whether they'll do that for any overseas customer, or if I just got lucky though.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 03:55 PM

That's fantastic news! I happen to be living in Japan at the moment, so it sounds like I should be able to get a replacement. Hopefully they'll just ask for a picture as well since my copy is still back in America...
Old Apr 6, 2021, 05:22 AM

The corrected Disc 3 has RC11 in the matrix (instead of RC01). All pressings since November 2015 should have the corrected disc in the set.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 03:13 PM

Assuming the audio is the same (track times match), then Bandai Namco Game Music released this digitally on 2022-12-15 as 3 separate albums (excluding all renditions of YUME‐WA OWARANAI and HOSHI‐WO SORA‐NI):
https://music.apple.com/jp/album/%E3...ver/1658714376
https://music.apple.com/jp/album/%E3...ver/1658244713
https://music.apple.com/jp/album/%E3...ver/1658244194