VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:41 PM

What's the point of this? What's new or different compared to the Original Sound Version?
I remember there was a Xenogears revival disc too, but I seem to remember there wasn't anything noteworthy about it compared to the original release.

Last edited by DanteLectro; Jul 21, 2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
What's the point of this?
I think the point is for Square Enix to make some money
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLectro View Post
What's the point of this? What's new or different compared to the Original Sound Version?
I remember there was a Xenogears revival disc too, but I seem to remember there wasn't anything noteworthy about it compared to the original release.
For Xenogears, the revival disc release sounds better as the music was mastered and sounds much more clear now compared to the 1998 recording. I'm not a music pro, but even I'm able to notice the difference.

And yes, I agree with the term of making money, it's Square Enix after all. But like all revival discs, don't forget it's a Blu-ray disc with video footage next to the audio tracks, which is really neat in terms of memories and nostalgia. And that's new about this releases.

Also, with this releases we finally got official English tracklists available (some for the first time I think), which is a really nice bonus in my opinion!

Sometimes it's the little things in life that make you happy

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Jul 22, 2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Also, with this releases we finally got official English tracklists available (some for the first time I think), which is a really nice bonus in my opinion!
With the only negative that we now have "Icy Chin" as an official title.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGazelMinistry View Post
With the only negative that we now have "Icy Chin" as an official title.
it's not what bothers me the most with xenoff

10th month of lunar calendar isn't equivalent to 10th month of solar calendar,
for that a lunar month should be able to reach 31 days like october what isn't the case since no lunar month goes over 30 days
perso, I always used "Kannazuki Mermaid" and none of other localized idiocies
Old Jul 22, 2019, 04:59 AM

Thanks for the info.
I've just compared the original 1995 release of Burn Bobonga Burn and Corridor Of Time with this new release and can't positively hear a difference nor see any fidelity improvement on audio graphs (of mp3 rips).
Where I can easily hear a difference is in the 2009 release, which sounds like a subtle remake.

Last edited by DanteLectro; Jul 22, 2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 06:22 AM
VGMdb Advisor

A plus is that the last reprint of the SNES version is 15 years old, so now you can actually buy it in places (well, in Japan).
Old Jul 22, 2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
10th month of lunar calendar isn't equivalent to 10th month of solar calendar,
for that a lunar month should be able to reach 31 days like october what isn't the case since no lunar month goes over 30 days
perso, I always used "Kannazuki Mermaid" and none of other localized idiocies
Okay, I feel really stupid. I never understood how "June Mermaid" went to "October Mermaid" but I guess I didn't realize the calendars in different lands would be different. Me so silly! Anyway, thinks for inadvertently explaining this to me.

But seriously, "June Mermaid" sounds so much better than "October Mermaid" but hell, I tired using the translation SE gave us on my mp3s and I switched back to the old translation relatively quickly. And yeah, "Icy Chin" did have something to do with that.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 01:03 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
For Xenogears, the revival disc release sounds better as the music was mastered and sounds much more clear now compared to the 1998 recording. I'm not a music pro, but even I'm able to notice the difference.
Actually no. As I've illustrated in the respective thread the revival disc is an utter hackjob of an upsample. Granted, they managed to increase the DR of some tracks, but then decreased almost as many. The only thing this disc is good for is the four new tracks, nothing else.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
The only thing this disc is good for is the four new tracks
Which are the new tracks? I counted 64 tracks in both the '95 original and this but I can't easily compare the track lists because of the changes in the track names.
Oh, I think you meant Xenogears. (?)

Last edited by DanteLectro; Jul 22, 2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Actually no. As I've illustrated in the respective thread the revival disc is an utter hackjob of an upsample. Granted, they managed to increase the DR of some tracks, but then decreased almost as many. The only thing this disc is good for is the four new tracks, nothing else.
Oh, really? That's a shame indeed :/ I wonder how this CT release sounds then. Didn't listen to it yet.

As for "Icy Chin" ... yeah ... xD. When you're used to a tracklist for years and then suddenly everything changes, and not all for good. Same with "June Mermaid", I'm used to it for years, but in the end it's "October Mermaid"? Wtf....

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Jul 23, 2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 01:30 AM

Quote:

Also, with this releases we finally got official English tracklists available ...
perso, I'd have liked to see my "Magus Belli" for tr47 ;.)
Old Oct 19, 2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
If you listened to the albums, then you would be able to ABX the differences. An easy example is the bells during the intro of Shevat. In the original release, it sounds grainy. The graininess is removed in the revival disc.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 02:05 AM

Was considering buying the BDs for this and the sequel. Anyone knowledgeable with audio fidelity know how the BDs compare to the original CD releases?