VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 22, 2011, 08:11 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

We'll probably need to make a separate entry for the 3rd disc, right ?
As it's only a first print bonus.

More infos on Clarice Disk website.
Old May 22, 2011, 12:28 PM

It has Chou Wakusei Senki Metafight? Isn't that the Japanese name for Blaster Master?

I am suddenly very interested in this.
Old May 22, 2011, 01:03 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
It has Chou Wakusei Senki Metafight? Isn't that the Japanese name for Blaster Master?
Yes and no.
Blaster Master is an adaptation of "Chou Wakusei Senki Metafight".
The scenario was changed for the American market.
Though the gameplay was untouched.

I don't know if the music was altered or no.. but because of that scenario change, i did not choose the usual "Blaster Master (Chou Wakusei Senki Metafight)" as a product.

Last edited by Myrkul; May 22, 2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old May 23, 2011, 01:03 PM

Come on, for all intents and purposes, they are the same game. Blaster Master would even supersede Meta Fight for overall series canon! But what really matters -- the music -- is identical between versions.

However, while getting all this Sunsoft music printed is a dream come true, I sure as hell hope they aren't giving each game a single-track medley. That...would be rubbish.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 07:33 AM

First Neo Contra OST, and now a near-complete collection of Sunsoft's legendary NES/Famicom music! Batman, Batman: Return of the Joker, Journey to Silius, Blaster Master, Ufouria, Gimmick!, Gremlins 2, Battle Formula... Just classic chiptune excellence all the way in all those soundtracks. I'm just reeling from the awesomeness of this past June and wondering just what I could've done in the past to justify all this good karma coming my way! These two were the absolute top entries on my wish-list of unreleased VGM, to have them both drop in my knees at almost the same time is just mindbogglingly awesome. Now I'm just hoping for a Pocky & Rocky/KikiKaiKai collection (at least the two SNES/SFC games in the series).

This set should arrive here early next week. I'm noticing some dark clouds on the horizon, though. I hope all pieces will have their individual tracks, in other words no medley-bullshit. Also, I noticed to my great regret that Fester's Quest, which had some great music, has been left out. This is probably because FQ was a game Sunsoft developed exclusively for the American and European markets, as far as I know it was never released in Japan, which is probably why the Japanese guys compiling this release "missed" it. Other omissions seem to be the various ports Sunsoft released for the NES/Famicom, like Afterburner, Fantasy Zone, Lemmings, etc., probably for copyright-reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
I don't know if the music was altered or no.. but because of that scenario change, i did not choose the usual "Blaster Master (Chou Wakusei Senki Metafight)" as a product.
I have to agree with Eirikr on this one. It should definitely read "Blaster Master (Chou Wakusei Senki Metafight)" in the product-section. The music is identical, the game is identical apart from the title screen and some short story segments, even Sunsoft themselves changed the series' canonical name to Blaster Master after the first game, all entries following the first game have "Blaster Master" in their name, even in the Japanese versions... Basically, all arguments speak in favour of changing the product-name.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 07:39 AM

By the way, no one's got a translated tracklist yet? Maybe too early...
Old Jul 2, 2011, 07:39 AM

not exactly, there's always metafight ex. i have no idea what he's trying to argue though.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:15 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The 3rd disc contains 2 Arranged Medley tracks, and is located within the main packaging, rather than being a separate case.

The Dead Zone arrange sounds like it was taken directly from a vinyl or tape source, so it's possible that it's a reprint of this 1986 cassette (partially or entirely) http://vgmdb.net/album/19610

Track names will have to be entered from the booklet scans, as retail websites only list the games and not the full 99-track breakdown that is printed in the booklet.

Last edited by Carl; Jul 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:03 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The text printed on disc 3 confirms it's from the album you linked (sourced from the cassette). I think they are the same and the original cassette only had one track per side, but little info is given.

There is a short interview with Naoki Kodaka who composed a few of the games in the booklet (he talks a bit about his time in Sunsoft and the importance of sound programmers in Sunsoft music).
The Jaleco album didn't have composer info.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helziran View Post
Now I'm just hoping for a Pocky & Rocky/KikiKaiKai collection (at least the two SNES/SFC games in the series).
This one will depend on Taito, the original game was made by them, while the rest were licensed to Natsume, as far as I now, Taito or Zuntata never release the work of others, except for Taito GSM 2 which had Toaplan Music, but that was over 20 years ago.

Quote:
Other omissions seem to be the various ports Sunsoft released for the NES/Famicom, like Afterburner, Fantasy Zone, Lemmings, etc., probably for copyright-reasons.
The Afterburner soundtrack was released but only the Sunsoft version, not the Tengen version, which sound different, possibly due to the lack of the original MMC chip.
SEGA exaggerated the title for the Fantasy Zone compilation, they skipped the music for Famicom/NES, MSX and the unreleased PC-Engine CD, and maybe others without counting the C64, Amiga and Atari ST version which are always skipped by Japanese releases.
Apparently in this release they didn't mind copyright issues (Batman, Gremlins, Spy Hunter), maybe they just didn't think of other games.

Quote:
I have to agree with Eirikr on this one. It should definitely read "Blaster Master (Chou Wakusei Senki Metafight)" in the product-section.
In the PS games Sunsoft Memorial, Metafight is included and sounds notably different, like when you compare Phantasy Star II on the Mega Drive and the Genesis. I'm not sure if it was an emulation issue,
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:05 AM

Are you kidding me? Are you freaking kidding me?
God, I can't believe they're releasing this! Given how most of Sunsoft's games were licenses/ports of some sort, I had already assumed it wouldn't be possible to get some of their soundtrack because of copyright issues. I'm still quite surprised they're releasing the soundtrack to the NES batman games.
Man, finally more long due soundtracks of an overlooked great artist get released. Now please move on to MD games (Batman and Compile, I'm looking at you).

Can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!

Last edited by Kewing; Jul 12, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
The 3rd disc contains 2 Arranged Medley tracks, and is located within the main packaging, rather than being a separate case.
Yeah, have to say its a really weird setup. Three discs crammed into a standard 2-disc slimcase, its not even one of those fat "wide" 2-disc jewel-cases (like for example the Shadow Hearts 2 OST came in). They hardly have room to breathe in there.

As for the quality of the arrange disc.... Jeeebus! This short fair proves that older is not necessarily better! The sound quality is, as mentioned, quite awful, but the music itself is pretty lacking as well (at least in my opinion). They could've easily left the arrange disc out, the original sounds is where its at. If you miss out on the limited edition, you're not missing much, in other words. That said, I think I'll still check out the Rom Cassette Disc In SUNSOFT Remix album when it comes out in September. If there's even a remote chance that its good, I want to hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Track names will have to be entered from the booklet scans, as retail websites only list the games and not the full 99-track breakdown that is printed in the booklet.
I know it's gonna be some time-consuming work, but man, I hope someone who knows Japanese gets around to it. This album is a classic testament to 8-bit VGM, that its finally released in itself rights an ancient wrong in the world of official VGM.

If anyone wonders about the sound-quality, its fresh and crisp, definitely a good job there. The only annoying thing is the one-loop deal, which is inevitable when we're talking 231 compositions spread over 188 tracks spread over 2 discs. If anything, they should've skipped the crappy arrange disc and gone for a 3- och 4-disc-deal, but it still works.

A funny thing about this release is that the discs were printed not in Japan, but, like so many bootlegs, in Taiwan. I'm guessing this is because Clarice Disc is a small company and printing in Taiwan is cheaper, or? Maybe a new trend among Japanese companies? Anyway, it gives a funny feeling for someone who for the last 12 or so years has come to identify Taiwan=bootleg when it comes to VGM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuxer View Post
This one will depend on Taito, the original game was made by them, while the rest were licensed to Natsume, as far as I now, Taito or Zuntata never release the work of others, except for Taito GSM 2 which had Toaplan Music, but that was over 20 years ago.
Are you sure? I thought the FC KikiKaiKai games were by Taito and the SFC KikiKaiKai games were made entirely by Natsume, and that Taito only released them overseas. Kind of like the deal with the first two FC MegaTen games being by Namco, but the rest of the series being by Atlus.

Quote:
In the PS games Sunsoft Memorial, Metafight is included and sounds notably different, like when you compare Phantasy Star II on the Mega Drive and the Genesis. I'm not sure if it was an emulation issue,
I'm guessing that it is because of emulation issues, then. Because the music I'm hearing on these discs sounds just about exactly like the NES games, Blaster Master included.

Yes, you heard me, folks. The original Blaster Master music... Did I mention I'm happy they put this set out? The only thing that still irks me is the omission of the Fester's Quest soundtrack.

Last edited by helziran; Jul 13, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:14 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Yes, other smaller vgm labels have been using Taiwan for their disc manufacturing for a few years now, most likely due to cheaper pricing as you mentioned.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:09 AM

Dog Ear Records prints in Hong Kong for the same reason.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I thought the FC KikiKaiKai games were by Taito and the SFC KikiKaiKai games were made entirely by Natsume, and that Taito only released them overseas. Kind of like the deal with the first two FC MegaTen games being by Namco, but the rest of the series being by Atlus.(
I know that this is off topic, but yes, Taito gave Natsume the license for the SFC games and later gave it to Altron for the GBA, although the latter was distributed by Natsume in the US.

This release is simply awesome, I hope there will be more like this from Clarice Disc, I'd love to see music from Tecmo, Technos or Natsume.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I know that this is off topic, but yes, Taito gave Natsume the license for the SFC games and later gave it to Altron for the GBA, although the latter was distributed by Natsume in the US.
Aha, thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
This release is simply awesome, I hope there will be more like this from Clarice Disc, I'd love to see music from Tecmo, Technos or Natsume.
Yeah, definitely! There are so many smaller companies that deserve releases of their stuff. Tecmo with Rygar, Taito with Power Blade, Technos with the Double Dragon games, Natsume with Shatterhand and Shadow of the Ninja... Much work ahead for Clarice Disc, if they're up for it.

By the way, did anyone check out the Rom Cassette Disc In JALECO Remix album? I'm thinking of getting the upcoming Sunsoft remix album, but haven't heard the Jaleco one, so I'm not aware of the quality of Clarice Disc's arranges. Was it a good effort or not? (Not that this would necessarily be indicative of how the Sunsoft one will turn out, but anyway...).
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
As for the quality of the arrange disc.... Jeeebus! This short fair proves that older is not necessarily better! The sound quality is, as mentioned, quite awful, but the music itself is pretty lacking as well (at least in my opinion). They could've easily left the arrange disc out, the original sounds is where its at. If you miss out on the limited edition, you're not missing much
I think you might be missing a piece of history, that disk contains the music from the promotional cassette Madoola no Tsubasa/Dead Zone, however, as the tracklist itself states it, the sound source is a tape, hence the quality. SNK Playmore did the same in Athena the Music, the songs from the Psycho Soldier cassette were recorded from the tape (BTW, in my opinion, the Slightly Dark recording was better)
A lot of arranged music from the early days of VGM are like those, all synthesized with bits from the original game audio.

Quote:
It should definitely read "Blaster Master (Chou Wakusei Senki Metafight)" in the product-section. The music is identical, the game is identical apart from the title screen and some short story segments, even Sunsoft themselves changed the series' canonical name to Blaster Master after the first game, all entries following the first game have "Blaster Master" in their name, even in the Japanese versions..
Only the PS game was released in Japan as Blaster Master. Blaster Master 2 was developed by Software Creations in the UK and wasn't released in Japan, Blaster Master Boy or Jr. is actually Bomberking Scenario 2 by Hudson, the GBC game, Enemy Below is known as Metafight EX

Last edited by emuxer; Jul 13, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:06 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
...I'm not aware of the quality of Clarice Disc's arranges. Was it a good effort or not?
Re: Jaleco Remix. You can get a taste from their Youtube Sampler and you can also hear samples from Amazon's mp3 page.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 01:10 AM

The Jaleco Remix album is actually pretty decent from what I heard (actually thinking of picking it up). If the upcoming sunsoft remix one is at least this good I'm already sold. I really hope Clarice Disk stays around for quite a while churning out more compilations, Just imagine the possibilities .

On another note, is there any mention of composers on the booklet? Not that I'm expecting a miracle (Wave Master is the only one to be able to give complete credits, it seems) but it sure would be interesting to know if there's a bit more of detail, than just collectively credit the whole album to Sunsoft.

Oh and anyone feels like giving a last shot at the remaining unstranslated track titles?

Old Sep 3, 2011, 02:59 PM

So, is the Sunsoft remix album still on? It's not listed in vgmdb anymore, and I don't see any reference to it on the Clarice website. Or is the remix album this one?

http://vgmdb.net/album/27671
Old Sep 3, 2011, 04:11 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
So, is the Sunsoft remix album still on? It's not listed in vgmdb anymore, and I don't see any reference to it on the Clarice website. Or is the remix album this one?
http://vgmdb.net/album/27671
I removed that "Sunsoft Remix" album entry because one of my source removed it too..
Now i got another source listing the album without any information, but an approximate release date on October 2011.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
I removed that "Sunsoft Remix" album entry because one of my source removed it too..
Now i got another source listing the album without any information, but an approximate release date on October 2011.
Sunsoft Remix will be released on October 29th.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20110920008/
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201109/20050623.html
Old Feb 9, 2012, 02:11 PM

I finally went ahead and did some research trying to find out/compile the most info I could:

Quote:
GREMLINS 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6eEX...eature=related)
SOUND PROGRAM
NOBUYUKI HARA
ABOUT SS
KODAKA SAN

BATMAN: RETURN OF THE JOKER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EP8voKmF0Q)
SOUND PROGRAM
N.KODAKA
NOBUYUKI HARA
ABOUT .S.S

BATMAN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc8gyZg65Mk)
MUSIC
NOBUYUKI KUN
KODAKA SAN

HEBEREKE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpKX6...eature=related)
MUSIC STAFF
NOBUYUKI.K
ABOUT.SS
KODAKA SAN

BLASTER MASTER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct1In...eature=related)
MUSIC
COMPOSER
NAOKI KODAKA

SOUND
PROGRAM
MARUMO

GIMMICK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz1CZ5BV_88)
SOUND COMPOSER
MASASHI KAGEYAMA

SUPER SPY HUNTER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqZKLNaYIiw)
MUSIC
N-KODAKA
NOBUYUKI
SEYA

JOURNEY TO SILLIUS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lVe6KvfDRc)
MUSIC STAFF
NOBUYUKI MARUMO
ABOUT.SS N.KODAKA
MABOCHAN

Marumo is listed as Sound program in Blaster Master, so maybe he had the same role here?. Mabochan may actually have had similar role considering he's not mentioned on any other game. Hard to know, since all of them are grouped into MUSIC STAFF (no other sound related credits in the game).

ATLANTIS NO NAZO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQX4xqoehvY)
No ending credits? The game seems to stop at the ending screen and seems likely you'd have to reset the game .

WING OF MADOOLA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrscr...eature=related)
No ending credits, goes back to title screen after ending

DEAD ZONE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nt7h9LW0e4)
SOUND PROGRAM
AKITO TAKEUCHI

MUSIC
NAOKI KODAKA

Nantettatte!! Baseball
Has no ending credits? Haven't been able to find a game clear video

MAHARAJAH
Surely there must be an ending credits screen, since there's a staff roll song for this game, but I haven't been able to find a full game clear video nor the ending.

Ikki
Apparently Famicom port has no ending credits, it has 4 stages, and 4 variants of those stages, and then the game loops. As for the Arcade version, I'm not sure, this is the only video of a full run I've been able to find but stops right after collecting the last coin.

Shanghai
According to the tracklist there is a staff roll, but I haven't found a full game clear video.

ROTUE 16 TURBO
Has no ending credits? Haven't been able to find a full game clear video

SUPER ARABIAN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6L3GgFJo30)
No credits, the game seems to loop

Kanshaku tamanage Kantarou no Tokaido Gojusan-tsugi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBZaX3AveE0)
No ending credits, goes back to title screen after ending

Tenka no Goikenban: Mitokoumon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsF-ceK83vc)
No ending credits? Not sure if it's just that the video stops there or that's the end.

RIPPLE ISLAND (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FPwFapYY9g)
MUSIC
CHOKKUN
RYU
(Very surprising names, as they're completely different from the usual music staff at Sunsoft)
If you have any further info, go ahead and fill in any remaining gaps. I actually doubt it, but maybe there's some more info on the booklet, so hopefully someone will give it a shot.

Old May 27, 2012, 04:06 AM

Just happened to spot the credits roll for Shanghai in Chrontendo episode 25 and it credits the music of Shanghai to Naoki Kodaka and Naohisa Morota.
Old May 28, 2012, 05:57 AM

Maharaja's music is credited to "Spock." It's actually a Quest game.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:27 PM

Wow, thanks lots to both for the heads up .
Curiously, now I did manage to find a video with the ending to Maharajah. Mor specifically at 11:20.
Funny how it has taken me much less time to find it now than the previous time I looked for it... Ah well. And here's the video of Chrontendo episode25. Credits are at 22:38.

Old May 29, 2012, 03:40 PM
VGMdb Advisor

On a quick glance the booklet doesn't directly credit anything. From the article/interview with Naoki Kodaka I gather:
- Kodaka composed only, was not a programmer (he talks about the important role of sound programmers at Sunsoft [in the FC era] and how he treated them more like "performers" than engineers).
- There were various programmers, but he's the only identified as composer.
- Kodaka talks a bit about Nobuyuki Hara (原伸幸), a hard-working sound programmer. Sadly he died in his mid-twenties due to illness.
- The writter identifies 3 programmers, Hara, Naohisa Morota (諸田直久) [Marumo?] and Shinichi Seya (瀬谷辰字) [About SS]

Also
- Shangai is listed here
- Madoola is implied to be by Kodaka, but may be the writter's assumption.

So it's quite probably was the only composer in most games, at least when paired with the above programmers.
Old May 31, 2012, 01:59 PM

Can't thank you enough, Dag. That sheds a tad bit of light unto all this mess .
So if Hara and Seya were primarily programmers, it is safe to assume Kodaka was the only one man behind most of the important stuff at Sunsoft? Wow, he just ascended to legendary status. It is kind of weird they were always grouped into "Music" or similar in all of the games. I'm also inclined to think that Madoola may have been done by Kodaka, as well. Just listen to the Title music; I always get the feeling it's going jump out to Blaster Master's stage 1 melody at any moment.
As for the sound programmers, no idea who Naohisa Morota could be. Either Mabochan or Marumo. In any case they sure did one hell of a job with the NES audio hardware. Too bad about Hara; that sure was unexpectedly tragic :\

Old May 31, 2012, 03:00 PM
VGMdb Advisor

This album has an interview with Masashi Kageyama. Nothing much, but he does mention apart from his compositions Kodaka also wrote tons of great songs.

So perhaps Kodaka and Kageyama, the only actual composers at Sunsoft?

Maybe Ripple Island was developed by another company, hence the unknown composers.
(this other interviews a designer and has no music info)
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:40 PM

May as well add Kodaka and Kageyama, since they are confirmed for Metafight and Gimmick!, respectively.

Also, any ideas who the Atomic Wave person/unit is?