VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 1, 2018, 03:32 AM

Then it's impossible I'm afraid. No soundtrack was ever released and Disney, Lucasfilm and Electronic Arts hold the rights I believe. Mainly because the score incorporates Williams themes a little. It's not a huge loss but that live piece (Main Theme - Tie Fighter Attack from Rogue II) gives much potential for the other synth cues.

Now, the German company Factor 5 wants to resurrect the cancelled title and port it to Switch and has contacted the legal parties, but I doubt it will happen, but if it does it would solve it. I always wonder what happens to cancelled game scores recorded with an orchestra, since a lot of money was involved...

Last edited by VIN; Jun 1, 2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinphonic View Post

Now, the German company Factor 5 wants to resurrect the cancelled title and port it to Switch and has contacted the legal parties, but I doubt it will happen, but if it does it would solve it.
I didn't know about this! The Rogue Squadron games are the best Star Wars games (along with Pandemic's Battlefronts). Rogue Squadron had the most definitive OT ship battles, and some great EU missions. I thought Factor 5 was dissolved.

Sorry for going off topic. So uh, here's my on-topic comment: The original cues composed for the series were indeed pretty good. I'm especially fond of the cues Huelsbeck wrote for Bespin (after William's melody ends) and Jade Moon.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
Is it too late to add another one to the list? This is an odd one, one that will NEVER happen (even more with the.. well, fame this trilogy has..) but The Legend of Spyro trilogy by Rebbeca Kneubuhl and Gabriel Mann have some REALLY interesting super epic orchestra tracks. The orchestra is synth but the voices are live, I think. And it's amazing. It'd sound lovely live, it's just like out of some sort of fantasy "demonic"? opera. It'll never happen but adding to the suggestions is free.
Dear PonyoBellanote

This series too falls into an international developer problem and now under "need to research" category. VGM Classics needs to solve issues related to France/Europe and Australian copyright law...
But if you are willing, let me know whether OST of series are released in the US, either CD or iTunes etc. This is always a good place to start...
Old Jun 4, 2018, 07:22 AM

an update

VGMC might be able to do "Illusion of Gaia" or ガイア幻想記. It is not definite yet, but we are in the middle of negotiation right now.
Personally, I am existed about this since this is one of my favorite SNE/SFC game, and the OST has never been released.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 07:57 AM

it's encouraging

if it can be done and be "popular", it could make someday a label to decide some cd or trilogy cd-box
a lot of people wait for that =)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentaro Sato View Post
Dear PonyoBellanote

This series too falls into an international developer problem and now under "need to research" category. VGM Classics needs to solve issues related to France/Europe and Australian copyright law...
But if you are willing, let me know whether OST of series are released in the US, either CD or iTunes etc. This is always a good place to start...
The first two albums had commercial digital releases in iTunes, but were taken off I dunno how long ago. They are listed in this same database. The composer also has five tracks or so from each game on their page.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 04:57 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
an update

VGMC might be able to do "Illusion of Gaia" or ガイア幻想記. It is not definite yet, but we are in the middle of negotiation right now.
Personally, I am existed about this since this is one of my favorite SNE/SFC game, and the OST has never been released.

I'm super excited about the possibility!!!

It was also one of my favourite SNES-experiences back in the day. Personally I prefered it over Secret of Mana because of the more serious tone, story and atmosphere. At least in Germany, the screen-text in SoM was filled with some attempt at humour which just wasn't too funny. Illusion of Gaia in comparison, stayed serious.

And the soundtrack is a masterpiece in my opinion! The SNES never sounded that "orchestral" in any other game to begin with!
As you said, an original soundtrack never surfaced. The last bunch of years I was always hoping that Square Enix would do a remake which would have been an oportunity to rectify the situation, but of course that never happened and probably never will.

(One might wonder how this game would work in today's gaming world anyway: after all, the game takes a very very long time before you encounter your first enemy/battle. At the beginning it's just lots of dialogue, plot and a bit exploring in a peaceful environment.)
Old Jun 5, 2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Dear layzee
"Alundra 1, 2" "Energy Breaker" are now under "possible" category!
"Ys" as a series, most of the titles are under "possible" category
Quote:
an update

Glad to hear, especially about Gaia Gensouki.

I think it's appropriate that the "Soul" trilogy is called the Soul Trilogy: because they have "soul". The stories have soul. And of course, the music has soul.

Fans of the game may be interested in this small interview I translated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPI View Post
(One might wonder how this game would work in today's gaming world anyway: after all, the game takes a very very long time before you encounter your first enemy/battle. At the beginning it's just lots of dialogue, plot and a bit exploring in a peaceful environment.)
Certainly, the game is very story-focused for an Action-RPG. The closest other example of a "long time before first battle" game I can think of is Valkyrie Profile and its 40 minute intro (though there are a few battles scattered in there).
Old Jun 7, 2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyoBellanote View Post
The first two albums had commercial digital releases in iTunes, but were taken off I dunno how long ago. They are listed in this same database. The composer also has five tracks or so from each game on their page.
Dear PonyoBellanote

It is an ominous sign if they have been taken out. But that might be simply because they ran out of digital license they paid initially...

Dear layzee

You are right. "the Soul Trilogy" would be appropriate
Old Jun 7, 2018, 03:28 PM
VGMdb Staff

There was a big update posted on the VGMC website today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM Classics
Ever since we presented our initial idea for our first project back in early May, we had been receiving many ideas and wishes for our future projects. With those new collective thoughts of the VGM fans in mind, we decided to change our first project. We will be presenting not one, but two or three titles on the Kickstarter platform. If they all met their goals, we will do all. Now, we are back in negotiation with copyright owners. So, please wait a little bit for our existing new announcement soon!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:57 AM

Dear nextday

Yes, that would be the move. Although, I think VGMC will pick from projects/titles which can start crowd-funding immediately, I really hope a current negotiation for a particular project goes well...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 02:18 PM

I think A Link to the Past would do a great orchestral album since many of the beloved tunes of the entire series came from this episode (Zelda's lullaby, The Castle theme, Dark Overworld theme, etc). There has been an orchestral album for Ocarina of Time but it was lacking of that 80's/early 90's orchestral epic, fresh and innocent sound. Think of the refined ethnic and Schumannian sound of Willow (James Horner) meets the heavy and choral Mozart's Requiem-like sound of Conan the Barbarian (Basil Poledouris) in one glorious Zelda III album. That would be the ultimate Zelda musical experience !

Last edited by Goldlink; Jun 14, 2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 02:45 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Dear nextday

Yes, that would be the move. Although, I think VGMC will pick from projects/titles which can start crowd-funding immediately, I really hope a current negotiation for a particular project goes well...
Do you have a general idea when you're planning to start? Some time this summer or not until later this year?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:29 PM

Dear nextday

That would be "as soon as VGMC finishes a licensing talk with one particular party for a particular project idea."
If VGMC got it, fine, and the company will include that as one of the first projects for the fundraising. If the company did not get the license, fine, and the company will start the fundraising for projects which we already have, or will be able to have the license.
VGMC is now waiting for an answer from this particular right holder. One way or the other, we hope we finish the initial license talk during June, and start fundraising in July/August, and doing recording and release of the initial project within this year.

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; Jun 14, 2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldlink View Post
I think A Link to the Past would do a great orchestral album since many of the beloved tunes of the entire series came from this episode (Zelda's lullaby, The Castle theme, Dark Overworld theme, etc).
Dear Goldlink

Yes, A Link to the Past is under "possible" category and would make a great album
If VGMC were to do the project, it most likely includes two early NES/FC & disk system titles too.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:42 PM

Why not a Zelda trilogy album ? But music tracks in episode 1 & 2 are very few compared to the third episode, because of the limited memory of the famicom disks.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 01:32 PM

the only interesting "zelda trilogy" to me will be the "kamigami no triforce" games
- ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース
- ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース&4つの剣 (with 4つの剣+)
- ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース2

no idea if yottsu no tsurugi / 4nt+ got new stuff between kn3f 1 and 2
Old Jun 17, 2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
the only interesting "zelda trilogy" to me will be the "kamigami no triforce" games
- ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース
- ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース&4つの剣 (with 4つの剣+)
- ゼルダの伝説 神々のトライフォース2

no idea if yottsu no tsurugi / 4nt+ got new stuff between kn3f 1 and 2
Four Swords is a separate thing unrelated to LttP. It has more to do with Minish Cap than anything else.

If you want a trilogy of connected Zelda games, then maybe the GB/GBC games since those all star the same Link. There's a lot of potential for orchestration there and the Oracle games in particular are underappreciated musically.

Last edited by Aifread; Jun 17, 2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 05:19 AM

Dear Goldlink, Phonograph, and Aifread

As far as the Zelda series goes, not all titles are possible... Or I should say that not all titles have possibility of rather complete musical approach/treatment at this point.
------
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II
Link to the Past
Link to the Past 2
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
The Wind Walker
Twilight Princess
(Breath of the Wild)
-------

These are "possible" titles for VGMC, as of today. The other titles are very difficult since there was no complete soundtrack CD has been released officially.

I have updated the list...
https://vgmdb.net/forums/showpost.ph...1&postcount=16
Old Jul 5, 2018, 08:48 AM

Dear all.

Here is an update. Today, I had a meeting with Mr. Kawasaki, the composer of Illusion of Gaia, and we have discussed about various copyright and license issues related to the game. It turned out that they were more complex than VGMC had initially imagined. I cannot share it in detail, but let just say that it may take some time to sort this out.

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; May 24, 2021 at 11:20 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Dear all.

Here is an update. Today, I had a meeting with Mr. Kawasaki, the composer of Illusion of Gaia, and we have discussed about various copyright and license issues related to the game.

and no discussion about why no ost/osv has ever been released so far?
because I understand well that copyrights are there to protect works
but if it prevents to make cds or concerts it's very restrictive or even too restrictive

the right to use officially music needs a certain fee? (like getting a license to use)
Old Jul 5, 2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
but if it prevents to make cds or concerts it's very restrictive or even too restrictive

the right to use officially music needs a certain fee? (like getting a license to use)
Dear Phonograph

Well, I did know the reason why there has been no OST, and today I got more information on this matter as well. I cannot share it here, but let's just say that unfortunately I am very pessimistic about an official OST. And for the sake of fairness, neither the composer, Quintet, nor SQEX were to be responsible (or even to be blamed) for the situation.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 09:58 AM

ah I know, they lost tapes/sheets of music and can't remake them (a la shuki levy ;p --cf. mysterious cities of gold)
or they lost the copyrights papers

ah no, not possible since nobody is responsible =)
zannen desu.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:24 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
So, in the meantime, VGMC have decided to take out all SQEX titles including Quintet titles from initial crowd-funding candidates in order to simplify the matter.
Not sure I understand, does this mean Final Fantasy IV is put on hold and focus will shift to one or two of the non-SQEX titles listed above?

I'd be surprised by this decision, but I'm not favoring one project over another at this stage, so just looking forward to the next updates.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teioh View Post
Not sure I understand, does this mean Final Fantasy IV is put on hold and focus will shift to one or two of the non-SQEX titles listed above?
Dear Teioh

Yes, that would be the idea.
FF4/5/6 are something we already know that we may proceed as far as the licensing is concerned. Therefore those are the easy ones for both VGMC and SQEX.
But "Illusion of Gaia" turned out to be a VERY different and more complex beast than we have initially imagined and requires some attention and solutions from the copyright owners' and author's sides to tell you the truth. Considering "Illusion of Gaia" has never gotten any licensed/official soundtrack treatment, VGMC decided to try to help solving some issues on this title before any other SQEX and Quintet titles...
Old Jul 5, 2018, 03:32 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Considering "Illusion of Gaia" has never gotten any licensed/official soundtrack treatment, VGMC decided to try to help solving some issues on this title before any other SQEX and Quintet titles...
Very happy to hear that you don't give up on the project considering the circumstances, whatever they might be.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:

Something being previously released usually creates an ability for a licence far far easier. If a piece of music has been published (be it in sheet music or recording form), then to perform or record it you only need to pay what's called a 'mechalnical' and the copyright holder can't do much about it. If it's NOT been published then the copyright holder has all the say.

It's more complicated than that sometimes of course, but the above is the general rule as I understand it.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 07:48 PM

That list looks fantastic. My personal wish is for Super Castlevania IV. That game had a very different sound than the rest of the Castlevania series and would translate perfectly to orchestra.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 01:41 AM

My vote goes to Fire Emblem and STAR FOX.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 04:20 AM

Hi.
VGMC would most likely start projects from one or two among these...

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; Jul 13, 2018 at 04:22 AM.