VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 1, 2018, 09:33 PM

Default Epic Orchestral music

I composed this orchestral piece: https://projectkafka.bandcamp.com/tr...e-dark-emperor

I'd be interested to hear your opinion how this fits well for a classic epic orchestral piece.

Edit june 29,

Just added another orchestral piece here: https://projectkafka.bandcamp.com/tr...e-kings-burial

Last edited by arsenaultk9; Jun 29, 2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 07:08 PM

Sounds like an intro or trailer to a film. Sounds very professional. What kind of equipment are you using? A chamber orchestra?

I don't know what you mean by classical orchestra piece. I don't think it's long enough to be a movement in a symphony--maybe a prelude?

Wait... are the rest of the tracks under 'Demo' a part of this? Maybe not. :x
Old Jun 5, 2018, 05:38 AM

Haha, thanks for your comments Jedi QuestMaster.

As for tools I've mainly used East-West Holywood Orchestra with a little of the Kontact library. As for the length of the piece I agree with you that it's a little short (there only so much you can do with 4 chords and beeing too lazy to add more).
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:38 PM

Urgh. I really dislike the lack of discussion around here.

Anyway, I listened to Morning Bliss, and that sounds like it could be the prelude, followed by Dark Emperor Rises. And Death of Esper even sounds like it could be part of this.

Not sure what your plans are for these tracks, but it'd be nice to hear a story-like progression with these.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 09:47 AM

Hey thanks again Jedi QuestMaster, it's always a great pleasure when people lend an ear to your music.

The context of this demo is really just a demo to able to land an indie video game composing gig. I'd really like to create music for a video game at least once in my life time. And in order for a demo to be successful you need to put your strongest material first. People have short attention spans and if after 30 seconds they don't get stimulated, they listen to something else.

As for if this were an album for the sake of being an album, I do like your idea of putting the songs in the order that you've proposed. I'd get rid of the nes sounding ones or re orchestrate at least Home village. For some reason I feel that if that one had the proper instrumentation it could sound like ahead on our way from the ff7 sound track.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 07:29 AM

From one self-made composer trying to get into the biz to another, the only advice I can give is: Good luck. :P Unless you have serious connections to people already in the biz, it is insanely difficult to land a gig, even in the Indie world.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 07:48 AM

Hey Ghaleon 64,

Thanks for the advice. Would you say it's hard to land your first gig even if you offer your services for free?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:44 AM

Because of the Internet, high-quality and affordable samples and all, it is now easier to create music than ever before. Thus the competition is fiercer than ever before.
The easiest way is to make friends with young game makers at your local, and then work the way up. Along the way, you will learn how to do compose, score, mix, sound design, loop, make SE, read specs and program better and faster.

If you are in the US, doing an intern or assistant for an established composer works well too. By all means, work for free if you gain something else. But, one needs to know that many starting composers do so (and there are tons of free loops and music tracks for indie game makers to use...)

I am not sure how old you are, where you live, and so on. But, if you are serious, apply ASCAP film scoring workshop. I highly recommend it.
https://www.ascap.com/help/career-de...hops#FSWBellis
Old Aug 23, 2018, 05:15 AM

Thanks Kentaro, there's a lot a valuable information in your post.