VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default New suggestion and feedback system

Since it's a bit hard to keep track of ideas in the forums, we're now using UserVoice to record user suggestions. You can access it via the "feedback" link attached to the right of the window. The direct address is:

http://vgmdb.uservoice.com/

We're using this mainly as an organizational tool, but it'll certainly be a big help if you vote for suggestions you like so we can prioritize popular ones. It's really easy to use and you don't even have to register an account. I've populated it with pending feature requests, but if I've missed out on any suggestions you're more than welcome to add it to the list.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 03:40 AM

Great idea! This should prove to be more effective for planning new features for the site and getting user feedback from anyone. I don't have any ideas so far as to what could be useful in the future since the ones listed so far are pretty good, especially the print run information which would be useful in the case of doujin albums for example. Generally it's resourceful idea for anything that's OOP or HTF.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 04:44 PM

I have an idea that could be quite useful. Since my time being here for a few months, I've always wondered if the product statistics for the site would be implemented into the database. Unless this is something that's already been planned considering that there's a category for it in the statistics, I think it'd be a great feature to add. Could take some time to plan on how the entries would be laid out but I have a general idea of what the pages could be like.

Similar to how we have artist pages, a person could simply just click a product such as Touhou Youyoumu ~ Perfect Cherry Blossom ~, and is directed to the page where information regarding the game (that is if anyone is willing to put a information about it) can be found along with releases related to the game or based upon it. I used Touhou as an example primarily since it's one of the many games that gets arranged in the series. There's plenty of other games as well that would qualify for an entry. Only thing is though is that I can only see this kind of thing being useful for mostly Doujin / Fanmade releases as they're probably the only type of albums that have the most arrangements being done from what I've seen. There is the option of using the search engine to look for a specific game's soundtrack, except it's more time consuming with all the pages depending on what their search terms are along with it being a little inconvenient in a way.

The way the products have albums appear is use the linking system that we use, or something similar to that, and have editors/staff to go through to figure out which albums are related to which game. I think it would suit nicely into the database but would take some planning out before it can be done. The pages don't have to be all about the game itself or else it would stray away from what the intention of this site is all about, but some information regarding the game wouldn't hurt. We could possibly include people involved such as the composers who worked on the game's music and/or anyone that was involved in the process of creating music like arrangers, performers, etc.

There's plenty of more ideas that can come into mind with this kind of statistic. It's important to take care of the priorities for the site first of course before heading into this direction. Whenever time allows this to happen, you can count on everyone at VGMdb to contribute.

If this gets added into the site, you can guarantee that I'll be glad to do as much I can to help make the feature very useful. Just a few thoughts I gathered up and figured I'd share it.

Last edited by eternal_tsukasa; Dec 7, 2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 06:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, that's pretty much what the products database will do, categorize releases by game (or anime, or radio program, etc). It's a big undertaking though so we're going to put the finishing touches to the artist and organization pages first before going there. Something to note, we'll probably have just the basic data for product pages since we're not looking to replicate the MobyGames database =) We'll just link to other sites that specialize in this information.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:33 AM

Yeah I just had a gist of what the products would be. Simple data should be enough and links regarding the game will be included. Will there also be a overall rating for the product's music as well? I'm guessing there is since that would be another great way to see what game has the most liked music and such.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:42 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I think this will work good, and that feedback thing on the side is neat. Perhaps you should update the Contact Us page to specify that it's not for bug reports or feature requests, and maybe have a link to the uservoice page instead.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 04:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

The feedback page isn't working with my Google account. I can log in at Google, but it won't let me log in at the feedback page with it.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 04:56 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't think the feedback page has anything to do with Google. You have to register at uservoice.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 05:06 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

http://vgmdb.uservoice.com/session/new

It gives you the option to sign in with a third-party account. Google doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I'll try OpenID later to see if it fares better.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 02:59 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

There's something broken here. I created a normal account from the signup page and logged in, but I can't leave comments. I can log in, I can check out my settings and profile. But every time I view the page of a suggestion, it acts as if I'm not logged in, even if I am. Going back to the main page shows me as logged in. Thus, I simply have no way of commenting on suggestions.

EDIT: It turns out this is the only suggestion that seems to have this problem. Very weird.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Feb 13, 2009 at 03:02 PM.