VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 18, 2007, 03:57 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Default Reprint Issue

I've just noticed that Final Fantasy N Generation is actually a reprint of Final Fantasy 1987 - 1994.

Is there a way to flag N Generation as a reprint now that it's already added as a standalone release ?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 04:25 AM
VGMdb Administrator

It's easy to do in the SQL, which is what I've been doing. I might make a reprint stitcher, but we'd have to be careful using it, since the reprinted album loses some field information when it becomes a reprint.

That album is tricky though, because the name changes, and we've been giving those their own independent entry (while noting that the music is reprinted from xxx-xxx). I'm seeing more and more reprints that do change their name, so maybe we need to allow for it.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 01:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

This issue is fixed now that reprints can have separate names (and even tracklists.) N Generation is now a reprint of FF 1987-1994.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 04:28 PM

Default Same Identifiction Number on Disc

Secret Squirrel--

As I was preparing to rip Final Fantasy 1987 - 1994 [PSCN-9101, first print-- http://www.vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=5017] Exact Audio Copy queried FreeDB.org for the information. Guess what?-- It gave me an option for Final Fantasy N Generation. This must mean that Final Fantasy 1987 - 1994 and Final Fantasy N Generation apparently share the same ID number (or whatver the number is called-- does anyone out there know?...) on the disc, as this is how Exact Audio Copy (and similar programs) get information on albums from online databases. I wonder why Square-Enix didn't change the on-disc number, or if they are even aware of this? Interesting...
Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I believe the programs accessing audio CD databases work with the number of tracks and their respective lengths, and not with some kind of specific ID number on the disc.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:52 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, the freedb / cddb specification generates disc hashes using a formula of all track lengths. It's not a very accurate system too, you tend to get a lot of mismatches.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 07:32 PM

Okay, I understand now-- Thanks for the clarification :-).