VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:54 PM

Why do we insist on listing reviews with the reviewer name present? Doesn't really matter. More so matters where it's from.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:15 AM
VGMdb Advisor

In some cases there are several reviews on the same website so it's a way to differentiate them.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 01:53 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, a site like SEMO having multiple reviews for the same album is definitely the biggest reason.

Even when there's only a single review, I still think it's useful when a site has multiple reviewers to include who the reviewer is. Different people have different likes, different writing styles, etc. The site name always comes first, so it should always be clear (I hope) where the review is coming from.

Is there a reason you wouldn't want that info listed? I didn't really think it would be a big deal to include it when there's a clear byline.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:26 AM

Just seems odd to include it. For people who are active in the community, maybe they know who Chris, Patrick, Gideon, and Jayson are, but for most people, it's almost suggesting that they 'should' know who it is based on it listing a first name. Seems kind of elitist to me.

Could always have SEMO Review 1, SEMO Review 2, etc.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:41 AM

Wikipedia, which I guess targets at a broader range of readers than VGMdb, also refer to external reviews with the author name, so I think what we are doing isn't so odd. I personally think the name is very helpful, since I nowadays have little time and mainly read the particular reviews of SEMO (Chris, Don and more). Still, as you said, we can just number them (I think we used to do so, but then we have started to use the current format).

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...=Patrick+Gann+
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...Chris+Greening
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...h=Don+Kotowski

Last edited by Cedille; Mar 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:05 AM
VGMdb Advisor

If I were a reviewer, I wouldn't want my work to be numbered. I think we should stick with names. In the end you will get to know who the reviewers are, especially considering there are not so many of them in the VGM community.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:54 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Another reason I like to include names: there are a few reviewers who write, or at least have written in the past, for multiple sites (Akumu and Patrick come to mind immediately). The publishing site is definitely important, but I feel like crediting the author is useful and important too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcubalis View Post
Just seems odd to include it. For people who are active in the community, maybe they know who Chris, Patrick, Gideon, and Jayson are, but for most people, it's almost suggesting that they 'should' know who it is based on it listing a first name. Seems kind of elitist to me.
I understand that the names probably don't mean a whole lot for most people. I don't know most of the reviewers from SEMO and RPGFan. But a name's just a name, I don't feel demeaned that I'm somehow out of the loop when I see someone I don't recognize. Have you talked to people who feel that way? This just seems like a really weird argument to me, like you're reading too much into their inclusion.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:25 AM

Well, first and last name would make a lot more sense. First name only just seems too casual. Then it's not, "You should know who 'Chris' is!" is as much.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 04:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

That's not a bad idea at all. I like it.