VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 17, 2008, 08:52 AM

Anybody know the composer of the new score for Makaimura for Wonderswan? I assume it says in the booklet scans, but it's all in kanji. Also, does the box give any information on who was responsible for porting what? Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:09 AM
VGMdb Administrator

There doesn't seem to be any composer info in the scans. The yellow lettering in pages 2-3 are just important events that happened in Japan during the year of release for each game.
Old May 16, 2009, 09:16 AM

Can anyone confirm via the second post here that "Sato" (aka Yuki Iwai) is credited for Demon's Crest?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:25 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Strangely, the romaji title on the box says "ongakudaizen" while the booklet says "ongakutaizen".
Old Jul 6, 2011, 08:57 PM

hmm, would it be better to just go with the romaji for display, and have "MAKAIMURA MUSIC COLLECTION" for an alt?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 04:10 AM

I feel like that most have no issue with literally translating the sort of names such as "Ongakushuu (音楽集)", while occasionally keeping less translatable in Romaji (example). This one is gray, but perhaps Western people aren't used to using words like "Taizen", at least, as much as "Gaiden".
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:39 AM

Dealing with an unusual amount of Makaimura related stuff today and found myself here.

Decided to move it around. The "translate some parts, but not all" rule seems a bit too arbitrary to avoid conflict with the general idea of "the display title is what's on the album itself". Furthermore, "Ongakutaizen" is actually printed in romaji here, which is interesting enough.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Strangely, the romaji title on the box says "ongakudaizen" while the booklet says "ongakutaizen".
huh no, booklet and box have taizen
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:49 AM
VGMdb Administrator

It looks like a D on the display scan (though hard to tell for sure), but I'm thinking that was pre-release cover art that was fixed before the album's release.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 07:12 AM

never thought of changing it?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:17 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've thought about it just now, in a fleeting moment of fancy.

But it appears someone has changed the caption, anyway.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:08 PM
VGMdb Administrator

So how did Yuki Iwai get associated with Gargoyle's Quest? Are there some liner notes around that list the game as one of her works, or an interview somewhere? I don't doubt it, but since the game doesn't have credits, I wanted to verify it.

I'm bringing this up because it turns out that Harumi Fujita lists the game as a work: http://otoya.rocketserver.jp/works.html.

Shimomura says in her works list that she made a small contribution to the game, so no worries there: http://www.midiplex.com/works.html.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
So how did Yuki Iwai get associated with Gargoyle's Quest? Are there some liner notes around that list the game as one of her works, or an interview somewhere? I don't doubt it, but since the game doesn't have credits, I wanted to verify it.

I'm bringing this up because it turns out that Harumi Fujita lists the game as a work: http://otoya.rocketserver.jp/works.html.

Shimomura says in her works list that she made a small contribution to the game, so no worries there: http://www.midiplex.com/works.html.
SEMO had Iwai listed for Gargoyles Quest. No idea where they got their info from, but apparently it's false because GQ came out in 1990, and Iwai didn't join Capcom until 1991.

She definately composed for Gargoyles Quest II, though.

It's probably safe to replace her with Fujita. I was always curious who the main composer for this game was.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:10 PM

From wikipedia

Quote:
...followed by Mari Yamaguchi for Super Ghouls'n Ghosts (with Tomohiro Masuda and Nobuhiko Isa handling the GBA re-release)

Quote:
The score for the Gargoyle's Quest spin-off series was composed primarily by Yuki Iwai (with Norihiko Togashi handling the Game Boy re-release of Gargoyle's Quest II)
Any idea about how reliable is that info?

EDIT: Added screen capture confirming the GBA composers.

Last edited by OSTFANATIC-V2; Aug 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:25 AM

http://www.geocities.jp/bgrtype/gsl/...ura/makai.html

Sound Artist says YUKO AOKI for the WonderSwan version. Whoever this person is, can she be credited for the music on the first disc (the WonderSwan part) ?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 09:54 AM

I know that Tim Follin arranged the music for the Master System Ghouls'n Ghosts and Izuho Numata arranged the music for the Genesis version.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 01:35 PM

...Are the Demon's Blazon names taken from the SNESmusic rip? Is this a thing that companies are willing to do?

Firebrand is a localization name. Track 47 is cut off and uses "CRESTS", even though all mentions of that word are "Blazon" in the original, last I checked. They changed "VICTORIOUS" to "VICTORY" in track 50, but that's it. This seems really shady.

Is there another tracklist for this game anywhere that I'm not aware of?

Last edited by Despatche; Jan 19, 2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 02:45 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yes, they used SquareTex's made-up titles. http://soundtrackcentral.com/demons-...omposer/tp3796
Old Feb 4, 2017, 07:32 PM

Thanks! Somehow I never found that thread. Shame everyone there thinks it's okay and not completely terrible... it's not even about theft here. But, after a certain event a few years ago, I'm not really surprised by such a reaction anymore.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 05:04 AM

I agree with you that it's completely terrible. Though not as bad, it reminds me of GOG.com commercially releasing Rimo's game rips of the Alone in the Dark series. Was this the other event you're referring to?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 08:20 PM

What's on the DVD?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 09:25 PM

Do we know how many copies of this thing were printed? It's one of those boxsets that's really hard to find, and when it's on sale it's always very expensive.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 02:03 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Harumi Fujita said in a 2011 interview that she thinks she wrote "Dark Road" for Gargoyle's Quest, and that Tamayo Kawamoto was a third composer: http://shmuplations.com/harumifujita/

Quote:
—How about Gargoyle’s Quest for the Game Boy?

Fujita: This work began right when Yoko Shimomura joined Capcom. I wrote about 2 songs for it, and I composed a couple songs for it while also getting a handle on the Game Boy hardware and sound chip. I think Dark Road was one of mine. Tamayo Kawamoto also wrote music for it, maybe one or two songs? The boss theme is a very Kawamoto-ish tune.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 01:39 PM

Is it just me, or does the ENDING track from Ghosts 'n Goblins sound a lot like this part of Haydn's String Quartet in G Major: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnjDnT_kwqk (around 17:37)? Should we add him as a referenced composer?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
http://www.geocities.jp/bgrtype/gsl/...ura/makai.html

Sound Artist says YUKO AOKI for the WonderSwan version. Whoever this person is, can she be credited for the music on the first disc (the WonderSwan part) ?
There's lots of original compositions in the WonderSwan "port." In fact, I think track 63 is the only arcade cover?