VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 11, 2008, 07:50 PM

Does anyone know what exactly "2ch Mix Ver" means in the last several tracks? I've always wondered this and never have I found an adequate explanation.

Listening to them side-by-side, the only evident difference I can hear is that the "2ch Mix" songs seem to have louder high-frequencies.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:48 AM

2ch mix is the normal stereo mixing. The rest is Dolby Surround Pro Logic II.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 01:31 PM

I'm not sure I understand... This is a CD release, which AFAIK can only have 2 channels, so how are the rest multi-channel surround-sound mixed?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 01:58 PM

Dolby Surround Pro Logic II only requires two channels for encoding 5.1 channels. That's how stereo-output-only systems like Gamecube and Wii are capable of this.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 03:26 PM

Ah, so it seems the album's tracks are mixed in a way that optimizes Dolby Surround Pro Logic II upconversions from stereo to multi-channel... and the 2ch Mix Ver songs are meant for purely stereo systems?

How many people listen to their VGM on Dolby Surround Pro Logic II systems, I wonder? o.O
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:06 PM

Clearly tracks 4 and 5 on disc 1 should be switching place with each other. Must have been a mistake when they made the tracklist in the booklet. Maybe a ''corrected'' tracklist could be added to the ones already there? Otherwise it could be quite confusing... Just a thought.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:51 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtieger View Post
Clearly tracks 4 and 5 on disc 1 should be switching place with each other. Must have been a mistake when they made the tracklist in the booklet. Maybe a ''corrected'' tracklist could be added to the ones already there? Otherwise it could be quite confusing... Just a thought.
I think it would be better to add that info as a note, unless there is some sort of official correction. Who knows if the tracks have the correct names Hamauzu gave them, and they were used incorrectly in the game? (ok, not very likely, but still...).
Old Apr 4, 2009, 04:16 AM

I, too, have been suspecting it for a long time now, but with no official confirmation.

I think we'd better off waiting for a likely reprint, rather than writing our assumption in the notes.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 07:22 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Well I understand Ramtieger meant they are actually switched in the game (ie.- track 4 plays when Judy is around, etc), which IMO is useful info and could be added to the notes. But unless it's official (from a reprint like you say or an announcement in the official site, etc) a whole new tracklist to fix it shouldn't be added.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 01:31 PM

Yeah, that's what I meant, Dag. I agree on not adding a tracklist until confirmed by an official source, so I'll add it to the notes or something soon instead if someone else doesn't do it before then.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 02:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Reading the liner notes of the soundtrack again, I came to realise Ramtieger is certainly right. At some point Ryo Yamazaki says this:
Quote:
If you had to put a genre to the pieces we recorded with live instruments, we had a Latin-style concept in mind. "Anxiety towards a Wonder" and "Battle Theme IV" fulfilled that objective.
On the soundtrack, the track called "Anxiety Towards a Wonder" has nothing to do with Latin music... contrary to "Judy's Theme"!

Also, Yamazaki says "Judy's Theme" was made without any live instruments. The track "Judy's Theme" on the soundtrack, however, clearly has live cello and bandoneon. The credits for these instruments point to track 4, so maybe the tracks were switched and not the names, actually.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:09 AM

Ah, thanks for that bit of info, Zanasea. Nice to know what it says in the liner notes; I hadn't looked that far into it yet. I wonder if they know about it and would be correcting it for a future re-release...
Old Apr 18, 2010, 02:06 AM

Anybody knows why Ryo Yamazaki has the arranger credit? I think even if synthesizer operators/sound programmers could occasionally deserve it, it's still arguable in relation to other entries.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:16 AM

See Chudah's Corner liner notes and here. Seems a worthwhile credit to have. It's clear that Yamazaki did more than a synthesizer operation role on this soundtrack.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 03:43 AM

I already reread the liner note in the original language as I assumed it was where this credit had come from, and still think this kind of involvement isn't so special among synthesizer operators and programmers, either of which we wouldn't normally credit as arrangers.

I however totally overlooked his official SQEX profile page. It might give this credit an official legitimacy, but that means we can also add Yamazaki to Musashiden and Dirge as arrangers (Yamanaka to Gyromancer, too).
Old Apr 23, 2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I however totally overlooked his official SQEX profile page. It might give this credit an official legitimacy, but that means we can also add Yamazaki to Musashiden and Dirge as arrangers (Yamanaka to Gyromancer, too).
What's wrong with doing that? I see no problem with it.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What's wrong with doing that? I see no problem with it.
Well, not that I intended to say it's wrong. I also take credits which aren't printed on the booklet from somewhere else quite often. I just wanted to note the profile page stated Yamazaki apparently had the arranger credits in two more albums.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 04:14 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Unlimited SaGa will be getting a reprint in the future, as confirmed today by Square Enix Music. The first Drag-on Dragoon will also be treated with a reprint, even if it wasn't on their original plan. There were many, many demands for this one on Twitter.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 03:57 PM

Drakengard 2 also mentioned. Are both planned or just one?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 04:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It qualified as a possible reprint but fan feedback wasn't strong enough, it seems. Maybe later? The webpage says "AND MORE!", after all.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 03:41 PM

I'm surprised that such a popular soundtrack has gone all this time without the Westernized characters' names in the theme tracks. I've changed them to match what's seen in the Western release of the game. It's been a while since I've contributed here but I think that's what we did for English tracklists back when I was active. It could have changed now though.

EDIT: Is there any reason "FINALE" is uppercased in the English tracklist? In the Japanese tracklist, it is just kana characters, so I'm not sure where the idea comes to capitalize it. I'll put it in proper case if no one knows.

EDIT2: Maybe someone can help me understand this.
Quote:
Tracks 1-04 and 1-05 are physically switched in the disc (rather than being incorrectly listed in the tracklist), since the liner notes and the credits point to the correct names.
If they are physically switched... then they are listed incorrectly, right? This note makes no sense to me. Track 4 is listed as "Anxiety Towards a Wonder" but I hear Judy's Theme, and track 5 is listed as "Judy's Theme" but I hear Anxiety Towards a Wonder. So, I'd say that means they are listed incorrectly in the tracklist. Any info as to what "physically switched" means? I must have read the comments about it in this discussion 10 times, and I can't understand how the things people say lead to these tracks not being incorrectly listed.

Last edited by Medina; Nov 27, 2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:20 PM

Okay, I came back to this still wondering and looked in the booklet. I see that in some credits page in the booklet for the Overture, March in C and FINALE, it's capitalized, so I guess we're going off that. However, I'm still wondering what the heck the notes section means. It makes no sense to me because whenever I work it out in my head I end up at: the track names are switched.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 03:57 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Sorry, I wrote that. I'll try to explain it better and somebody else could reword it so it makes more sense.

Basically all the info/intrument credits points that track 04 is and should be/contain Anxiety Towards a Wonder (cello credit, liner notes: Zanasea's post) and 5 Judy's Theme, so the tracklist order itself is correct (what they wanted it to be) and doesn't need to be changed. But the music that plays in 04 is Judy's which certainly is wrong.

To fix this you have to swap tracks 4 and 5 while keeping the names in their positions (so the music in 04 moves to 05 while still called 05-Judy, 05 to 04/Anxiety --this way the cello credit for 04 makes sense); that's what I meant by "physically switched" (should've used 'swapped'?). If you just renamed them without moving the tracks (so 4-Judy, 5-Anxiety..) the credits wouldn't match.

In other words:
04 Anxiety Towards a Wonder.mp3 -> rename to -> 05 Judy's Theme.mp3
05 Judy's Theme.mp3 -> rename to -> 04 Anxiety Towards a Wonder.mp3

Hope that makes more sense.

As for using western/Japanese names, nothing wrong with either choice, it's just a matter of what you think is more appropritate. It's not too consistent between albums. I guess since the booklet transcribes the Japanese names into English the tracklist used them before, instead of the western names.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 04:42 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Hmm. Surprisingly, this is a pretty complex case.

When you listen to the soundtrack without looking at the track titles, track 4 is the lively synth theme and track 5 is the Latin-styled theme with cello and bandoneon.

Still without looking at the track titles but after reading the liner notes, you can guess track 4 is "Judy's Theme" (Yamazaki says it has no live instruments) while track 5 is "Anxiety Towards a Wonder" (Yamazaki says it was meant to have a Latin feel).

It is only when you look at the tracklist that you realise the names are actually swapped. If you look at the credits, you see that cello and bandoneon players are credited for track 4, but there are no live instruments in that track.

So my guess is to swap the track names (but not their length) and to correct the notes in order to credit cello and bandoneon to disc 1, track 5. In the end, I believe it is the actual content of the disc that should prevail over the rest.

Last edited by Zanasea; Dec 7, 2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 07:22 PM

Oh, I see... I think. Hehe. So basically, we're assuming that all instrument credits are correct no matter what and basing everything off that. I was just going off what I heard. If you assume the credits to be undeniably correct, then it becomes very complex, but I wasn't assuming anything to be correct because things are incorrect all the time. Thank you for explaining it to me.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:40 PM

Default Any news?

I haven't heard any updates on the reprint of the Unlimited SaGa soundtrack. Was just curious. Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:47 AM

I don't listen to the physical release yet, but I just checked the iTunes release of SQEX-10242~3. "Judy's Theme" and the other track are swapped (in this case, dare we say "corrected"?).

http://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/id441919085

Which means the SQEX album isn't a reprint, by our definition.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:08 AM

Does anybody owning this album willing to check your spin? Our current scan says UNLIMITED . Saga Original Soundtrack. Is the upper dot missing on our submitted scan only?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Does anybody owning this album willing to check your spin? Our current scan says UNLIMITED . Saga Original Soundtrack. Is the upper dot missing on our submitted scan only?
I have the 10078,9 release, and it definitely has a : with upper dot in the title on the spine.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:15 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
That's pretty strange. My copy has a : as well.