VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:14 AM

Does anyone know where or if it was confirmed that Kozo Nakamura did the music to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES? Or if it was confirmed that it was Keizo Nakamura instead?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:35 AM
VGMdb Administrator

TMNT1 doesn't have any credits, and as far as I know Konami never released its soundtrack on CD, so I'm not sure how any Nakamura got credited for its music.

That said, Keizo joined Konami in 1993, so if it's one of the Nakamuras, it's Kozo.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:39 PM

Hmm, I wonder why various websites like OCRemix list him. Somehow, word started to spread that K. Nakamura did the music to TMNT for NES. Where did that rumor get started?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
That said, Keizo joined Konami in 1993, so if it's one of the Nakamuras, it's Kozo.
Thanks! Among the places that list a Nakamura, there's confusion as to which Nakamura did it.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:10 PM

If my understanding is correct, Kozo actually did music for the second NES Ninja Turtle game, but as the first game was called something like "Fierce Turtle Ninja Legend" in Japan, the second was just "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," and you can probably see how that would lead to confusion, especially when we get information off of websites with unclear sources and no pictures.

an addendumb:
A vaguely threatening musical flourish right before the mid-boss theme loops reminds me of Castlevania 3, so if I had to guess, it would be one of the music people from that, but I couldn't say which, since there are supposedly several, without specific tracks attributed to them (as far as I am aware). And perhaps the turtles also had several!

Last edited by Garnobium; Dec 11, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:19 AM

Insightful post, Garnobium!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 04:40 PM

Jun Funahashi confirmed that he did half of the soundtrack to the original TMNT for NES. He also confirmed that Kozo Nakamura did not work on that game. He doesn't remember the other composer.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 04:53 PM

Hidenori Maezawa?: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=...UserId=5379721

"I don't remember exactly, but I believe someone else composed the music while I was in charge of the sound direction and the arrangement."

I always thought something was fishy about credit going towards Nakamura. Great detective work!

Also
Quote:
an addendumb:
A vaguely threatening musical flourish right before the mid-boss theme loops reminds me of Castlevania 3, so if I had to guess, it would be one of the music people from that, but I couldn't say which, since there are supposedly several, without specific tracks attributed to them (as far as I am aware). And perhaps the turtles also had several!
Funahashi worked on CVIII. Good ears!

Last edited by strugglepoo; Jul 10, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:06 PM
Trusted Editor

Funahashi did every song except for the Overworld, Sewer, Building, Big Boss, and Ending themes.

And I don't think the other composer was Maezawa. He would have said he did music (rather than sound direction and arrangment). It's probably one of the obscure members of the sound team.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:23 PM

Interesting. Where does this information come from by the way?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 09:27 PM
Trusted Editor

One of my friends got the info straight from him. I've asked him to get him to tell what tracks he did for Castlevania III but he (Funahashi) hasn't had time.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:13 AM

I had surmised for years that Harumi Ueko (Jimmy Weckl) was (one of) the missing link(s) involved in those TMNT as he did Cosmic Wars with Maezawa as the arranger again, a game which was released months after TMNT. Seems to have a jazzier, frantic style of rock-laced fusion he was known for when at Konami. He also went ahead to arrange/adapt TMNT Turtles in Time for the SFC/SNES. His stamp is on the tracks that Funahashi didn't do.

I had also thought at one point a more obscure Konami composer Noriyuki Takahashi might have been involved. Listen to "Tum's Boogie" from Lagrange Point and hear the resemblance to TMNT's Overworld Map.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 01:56 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Noriyuki Takahashi wasn't a Konami composer, he's part of the band REBECCA with fellow Lagrange Point composer Akio Dobashi.

Last edited by CHz; Aug 24, 2016 at 03:29 PM.