VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:12 PM

Apparently all the tracks will be remastered for this release. Hopefully Mega Man 1 and 2 can FINALLY get a proper remaster.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:36 PM

vinyls are sooo chick magnets right? just do a proper cd release, they've tried 3 times already
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:25 AM

el oh el digital music on vinyl in 2019
Old Oct 12, 2019, 03:10 PM

Are you telling me every single release of Mega Man 1 & 2's soundtrack has been a failure up to this point? If so, what makes you think they're going to get it right this time?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 04:06 PM

Because vinyls by western startup companies with wix websites and products manufactured in a random Chinese factory found on Aliexpress.

And coloured / splatter / seethrough super kool limited editions, 90% of which can be purchased on eBay for inflated prices two days after release.

Let's see if the marketing guy forgot anything.

Technical stuff for wow effect "X6 180g" --> CHECK

"Limited Edition" --> CHECK

"Exclusive" --> CHECK

"Deluxe" --> CHECK

"Luxury" --> CHECK

There, I said it. I feel better now.

Last edited by LuxKiller65; Oct 12, 2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 06:55 AM
Trusted Editor

Apart from being the nth Mega Man collection they screwed it up already with not having included the complete score. Probably due to licence reasons but who needs this then??
Old Oct 24, 2019, 01:48 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicider View Post
Apart from being the nth Mega Man collection they screwed it up already with not having included the complete score. Probably due to licence reasons but who needs this then??
Plenty people were unsatisfied with the track selection on the previous two vinyl release. Or rather that it was such a small selection.

As for this being incomplete, here's the label's response on reddit to being asked about why it's not the complete soundtracks for all games:

Quote:
A lot of thought went into the selection, but ultimately there has to be a balance between the quantity of tracks and the marketability of the overall package. So when you say tracks are 'missing', from the label's point of view as many as possible were Included, taking everything into account.
I don't know off the top of my head how many minutes of music there'd be in a complete Mega Man soundtrack release, but I'd wager it's a lot. A record can fit about 20 minutes on music on each side before sound quality begins degrading (give or take a couple of minutes depending who you ask AND the type of music).

Some of the pressing plants (or their associated printing partners) have standard size packaging for box sets, but if we start getting into 10+ record sets then you will need customs boxes. The process of printing jackets (and boxes in this case) is usually one of the pricier parts of releasing a record.

All that said, I would've liked a complete set, but I understand their reasoning for not doing it.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 03:51 AM

imo, one more reason why these aren't much more than large expensive hard-to-store-properly collectibles for the new generation, it's like saying 'hey our brownie doesn't have all the ingredients of a good brownie because we can't store them all in our small trendy kitchen, but look at how many of them we actually put, almost 90%, just missing the stuff real brownie fans will notice'

but then again if people buy it, i guess why not, it's nice, it's rockman, it's better than doing drugs
Old Oct 24, 2019, 04:05 AM
Trusted Editor

There's plenty of affordable vinyl storage options available.

But I guess your point is that these'll be difficult to fit in your CD shelf - in which case you're probably right
Old Oct 24, 2019, 07:13 AM

they're harder to keep in good condition, put them flat and pile them up, they'll get damaged, put them standing up, they'll open up like vaginas, no matter what protective bag you use. bit of a mess, so yeah i'll stick to cds and tapes, saves space and looks nicer. you can also tell what is what from the spines, which is mind-blowing.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 09:31 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbtz View Post
All that said, I would've liked a complete set, but I understand their reasoning for not doing it.
I don't see no use in releasing an incomplete set. What's the purpose in that? If you're a Rockman fan you want to listen to all tracks from the games, not just some selections. As if it would make a difference pressing 6 or 8 records. They could have released two box sets as alternative. And standard box sizes as excuse? Come on.

Pointless release imo. But as long as there are enough people who buy everything blind they did everything right I guess

PS: Thanks for using my pictures on discogs without asking...
Old Dec 26, 2020, 08:17 AM

Okay, I may look into this box if Mega Man and Mega Man 2 are fixed, but I have to add my two cents in with a suggestion. Why not make two box sets? Make a box set for 1-6 (the original NES scores) and a second one with the OSTS after that? That way you could even add Mega Man & Bass.

I just bought the X LP box set and well, Laced handled that one much better IMO. Keeping X1-6 intact was the right move, and while I think the OSTs for X7 and X8 are one of the better parts of the games they hail from, doing a selection from them was probably the better move.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
they're harder to keep in good condition, put them flat and pile them up, they'll get damaged, put them standing up, they'll open up like vaginas, no matter what protective bag you use. bit of a mess, so yeah i'll stick to cds and tapes, saves space and looks nicer. you can also tell what is what from the spines, which is mind-blowing.
I know you're not asking for my opinion here, but I want to point out a personal reason why I've come to like vinyl. Yes, everything you say is true, but when I just have a gaggle of CDs (and when they're all ripped to my computer) I spend more time sorting the music than I actually spend listening to it. I know that's one me, but the format forces me to genuinely listen to everything that comes up to bat. Digital files have kind of ruined album listening in a way. I find that's fine when I'm in my car and I just want to listen to the best of the best when driving, but when I'm at home that's not what I want to do.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
vinyls are sooo chick magnets right?
I know this is a joke, but I must not being using my vinyl's properly. That or my myriad of personality flaws are canceling out their effect.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
Okay, I may look into this box if Mega Man and Mega Man 2 are fixed.
Let me know if they are if you buy it.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Are you telling me every single release of Mega Man 1 & 2's soundtrack has been a failure up to this point? If so, what makes you think they're going to get it right this time?
I'm confused about something. I understand I'm not exactly quoting the right piece of the conversation, and yes, I understand the mastering on the eCan/Rock Box 2 of Mega Man 1 and 2 isn't very good. But I have to ask, what was the issue with Mega Man and Mega Man 2 (or 1-6 in it's entirety) on Capcom Music Generation set? I know the natural volume isn't as high is as the remastered music on the two following sets, but is there some egregious sin I'm overlooking? I generally keep a rip of 1-2 from Generation on my hard drive and back it with rips from the other games from the eCan/Box 2 which makes up my preferred "mix", but I guess I didn't know people were unhappy with the 1-6 set. I know it's outdated and would have been left in the dust if the following box set didn't have issues, but I guess I didn't know the community's discontent. Was that always there or did it crop up only after the eCan?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damned View Post
Let me know if they are if you buy it.
I sure will. However, I'm not sure when I'll buy it. One of my new year's resolutions was to spend less money on toys, so. (The other was to buy and eat less fast food.) Additionally, I'm kind of waiting on restocks for a few other albums like the Undertale and Stardew Valley sets.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
But I have to ask, what was the issue with Mega Man and Mega Man 2 (or 1-6 in it's entirety) on Capcom Music Generation set??
Audio is noticeably muffled and noise distorted. I thought it was fine at first, then I listened to a fan rip from someone who is pedantic about audio quality, and it completely blew the 1-6 box out of the water clarity-wise.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 05:08 AM

It's fine, it's just my opinion! I hate having to listen to songs or parts I don't like, so CD is my preferred format. Tape is annoying like vinyl but takes so much less space, and I have this portable tape player with mini stereo speakers that make me feel like I'm back in 1991 and the sound is just as bad as it needs to be
Old Mar 4, 2023, 10:36 PM

This album feels like such a letdown. Out of 5 possible releases they could've gone with, this, to me, is like #4 in best to worst case:

1. A complete collection, all 11 game soundtracks sold individually
2. A complete collection, all 11 game soundtracks sold as one set
3. A "best of" collection, only including full tracks (no small jingles) for a coherent listening experience
4. A collection that attempts to stuff as much music as manageable, while still ommitting some bangers
5. A lame "very best of" that barely fills half the vinyl and omits tons of music

Mega Man 1-3 seem complete. So where do things start going missing? 4 and 5 seem to be missing half the robot masters, and it gets worse from there.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Mega Man 1-3 seem complete. So where do things start going missing? 4 and 5 seem to be missing half the robot masters, and it gets worse from there.
Yeah, can't say this is that attractive if I'm being honest. The X1-8 box is the better option IMO. At least you get X1-6 complete and the potluck only effects X7 and X8 which isn't that much of a loss even though those scores do have their moments.

This should have been split into two sets if I'm honest. A 1-6 NES set and a 7-11 set so we get all the tracks.