VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Miscellaneous > Archives > VGM Decibel
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 24, 2009, 03:22 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Default Episode #001: Preview Podcast

The first show is an introduction to the hosts and our backgrounds, along with 2 reviews and info about the doujin scene.

Episode #001 Contents
  • Introductions
  • Review: 7th Dragon
  • Review: Let's Go Away Daytona Box
  • Carl's Background
  • Akumu's Background
  • Upcoming/News/Doujin

Since this first episode is a starting point, let us know what you as listeners liked or didn't like, so we can improve the show over time with the next episodes!

youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxar6h0b3H4

Last edited by seanne; Aug 9, 2021 at 05:16 AM.
Old May 25, 2009, 08:18 PM

Congratulations on the first show!

The chemistry between the two of you is natural, and I certainly like that; I must say I appreciate the information given throughout the show, mostly regarding the composers. After hearing Carl's review about 7th Dragon, and liking Yuzo, I'm certainly giving the soundtrack a try. Admittedly I had no knowledge of the game, though... I already ordered the Daytona USA set, so... =P

I'm always a sucker for peoples' stories when it comes to their first game and things of that nature, so I enjoyed learning about how both of you got into VGM, your first OST purchases and all that made you fall into the addiction that is VGM. Because I agree with you Carl, it is one. =P

Again, I really enjoyed the show, but my only possible gripe being how sometimes Akumu would get a bit too close to the microphone. It's nothing that deters the experience, but certainly something that can be improved upon.

Before I forget, the US release of Killer Instinct included the soundtrack you mentioned, Akumu. You were referring to this one, though, right?

Also, there was a Monster Hunter release for the PS2 in the US during 2004, but I agree: the series is essentially a cult game, at least here in the US, making its music relatively unknown. I personally am not much of a fan, but do appreciate the music, though.

Looking forward to the next ep!!
Old May 26, 2009, 12:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Apologies to the users who were unable to download the podcast for a few hours. Apparently editing the first post of the thread causes the podcast information to be wiped out.

Thanks a lot, vBulletin.
Old May 26, 2009, 01:00 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

This is a nice new show. Good job, guys!

I too liked hearing about how you two got into VGM; it invokes a feeling of nostalgia. I could go on about how as a kid, I would hold a tape recorder up to my TV to record Secret of Mana, Sonic 3, Street Fighter II, and more. Though my earliest VGM moments dated back to the NES, largely with the Mega Man soundtracks.

A few things I wanted to mention:

Koshiro did work on Brawl. He arranged the main Legend of Zelda theme and also "Norfair" from Metroid.

Since Akumu spoke a lot about Symphonic Shades, should the album be mentioned on the "Featured" list? Or perhaps you'd like to give a review proper to the album in an upcoming show?

More album reviews in general would be nice. While two reviews per show is certainly better than none, it only covers a maximum of four albums per month. I'm sure you guys could double the count, or at least up it slightly. I just think this show would be good to highlight some albums that would otherwise slip through the cracks, and the more albums you can get to (and still have time to give them a proper review), the better.

Akumu, you should iron out that mic situation. There's definitely something wrong there. I don't know if it's a user error, or just a crappy mic. Do some test recordings on your own or with Carl and see how you can reduce the noise so we can more clearly hear your rich, sexy Norwegian accent.
Old May 26, 2009, 05:39 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Great job, guys. You actually make me feel guilty for not liking the Daytona USA soundtracks.
Old May 26, 2009, 08:50 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The mic situation will be fixed, I really apologize for that.
Old May 26, 2009, 12:02 PM

I was a little worried with the mic problem since the same thing was going on during the NGI interview, but it's still listenable. I think some kind of tabletop mic would work a lot better for you, Akumu.
The chemistry with with you guys is great, and I think the transitions are creative and work well. The background music might be a little loud sometimes, but that'll just be something you have to experiment with.
The content of the show itself is solid, just a few minor technical issues. Great show, Akumu and Carl!
Old May 26, 2009, 12:08 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Well my problem is that the microphone is so phallic, and when it's so close to my mouth then.......
Old May 26, 2009, 01:28 PM

Very good so far. You guys really work well together. The microphone-oral-sex is a tad annoying but if you'll eventually fix it that'd be gold.

So, listened even more and the information you're introducing to me makes my legs rubbery. Everything is relevant and the journeys in to off-topic stuff (in your opinion) are awesome.

Ok, done. Like Kyle said the background music sometimes was a tiny bit too loud but otherwise everything was awesome. Great information, very in-depth and a good presentation of the hosts. Already RSSing the hell outta this and looking forward to more, keep up the good work!

Last edited by Another Soundscape; May 26, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:58 AM
Trusted Editor

I think the most important things have already been stated.

I like the show so far. The reviews are very interesting and everything else also fits well in. Technical issues aside, it was a great preview - so I'm really looking forward to the next episode

Keep it going guys!
Old May 27, 2009, 08:57 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

One more thing I'd like to see in future episodes: More Music. Maybe I'm spoiled by NGI and VG Frequency, but I like hearing music playing in the background. You did this in the first half of the show, but not during the second half. If you could have a playlist of songs from your featured albums playing in the background pretty much the entire time, I would love it.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumu
Any questions about anything: Just ask us.
Akumu... where do babies come from?

Last edited by Kaleb.G; May 27, 2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old May 28, 2009, 04:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor

You don't wanna know...
Old May 28, 2009, 09:01 AM
Trusted Editor

Only complaint I have about this preview is that now I need to buy Let's Go Away Daytona box. Thanks Akumu, care to give your address where I can send the bill. :P

Also, gotta give credits for speaking clearly which made the listening easy for me. But then, maybe I've just gotten better at listening english-based stuff this year, thanks to massive tv-series marathons with horrible subtitles.
Old May 28, 2009, 03:28 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Listened to the podcast while going to work today and I enjoyed it. While there's room for improvement, I think it's headed in a good direction. I'm looking forward to #002!
Old May 31, 2009, 01:25 PM
VGMdb Staff

Great work guys, I thought it was a good show with some interesting conversations and information. I think the main problem is the sound quality and clarity.

Another thing too, especially since this is on itunes now, you'll want to embed niki's awesome art as a front cover on the mp3s. Just gives it that little extra when using an ipod, itunes or some other program which displays the album art.
Old May 31, 2009, 02:12 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Here's the front cover art that was submitted to iTunes:

And here's our iTunes page!

Old May 31, 2009, 03:05 PM
VGMdb Staff

Though, since the cover image doesn't show up when downloading the file through itunes I guess you have to embed it yourself before upping.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 06:32 AM

Very nice work, guys. I was thinking that being the first episode, it could be a little more chaotic (I know from experience), but you handled it quite well. Aside from the mic issues, everything else is going in a good direction. Keep it up, I'll be looking forward to the next episode

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 06:19 AM

I'm at work right now, listening, and I wanted to jot some things down about Daytona before I forget.

I've always been a fan of the Daytona USA tunes, and I think in racing music they're the closest Sega's come to approaching the classic status of their Outrun.
Judging by performances I've seen on youtube, Mitsuyoshi is rather an incredible musician. He does play and sing simultaneously, but he just sometimes looks like another case (and there are many) of singers who sound quite off once they perform in something other than their native language. Sega may have noticed: he sang "Angels with Burning Hearts" for the Saturn title Burning Rangers, but they decided to have someone else do vocals in English for the American release. In any case, who doesn't love his stuff for Sega Rally Championship, and who hasn't belted out "GAME OVER, YE-E-E-EAAAAAAHHHH!!" at least once?

I'll talk about the rest of the show later; great so far!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm at work and giving it my first listen as I type this. Really enjoying this so far. I think it's going to expose me to some things I might not have listened to otherwise.

I do have a suggestion though. In the initial post for each podcast can we get a breakdown of the tracks that are actually being played in the background? I realize they are probably what you are discussing anyway but it would be nice to have it in print too so we can go back and easily reference them. If it's not too much work maybe time points as to where each background track plays?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 01:12 PM
VGMdb Advisor

We'll do that, Naka

ATTENTION: You can now also follow us at Facebook and interact with us there, be it questions or suggestions, so invite your friends and stuff.

Facebook Link
Old Jun 2, 2009, 02:59 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Is there a way to link that up with the VGMdb page? http://www.facebook.com/pages/VGMdb/58434345894
Old Jun 2, 2009, 03:02 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't think so, unless you put a link to our group onto the VGMdb page or something, I'll look more around to see.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 08:49 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumu View Post
We'll do that, Naka

ATTENTION: You can now also follow us at Facebook and interact with us there, be it questions or suggestions, so invite your friends and stuff.

Facebook Link
Am I blind? Where is it?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:49 AM
VGMdb Advisor

you can't see the link?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:53 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Haha oops! I thought you said "we do that Naka" not "we'll" in reference to what I was asking. I realize now you were talking about the facebook link and we just had a a disconnect in communication. I joined the facebook group and I'll look forward to the track breakdown on the next podcast!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 02:19 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Second episode recorded, 100x better, look forward to it!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:55 PM

Nice work guys. Very relevant stuff and enjoyable to listen to. It's nice to hear people physically talking about game music in-depth.

I had been wondering about the 7th Dragon soundtrack for a while now, and I think I just may have to pick that up. Good job with that, Carl. I definitely agree that Yuzo is on the come back trail. I think the fact that he included a chip version of the entire sound track absolutely rocks.

And I appreciate Akumu's critical analysis of Daytona Box, despite being such a big fan of the series. I'm a fan of him as a composer, but to be honest, his singing voice has always bugged me a little. It just sounds a bit, unnatural.

Also, be sure the listeners know what samples you're playing when you do the stand-alone, extended ones. It was a bit unclear before the 7th Dragon ones, and I was thinking, "What am I listening to here? Is this 7th Dragon?" I heard Akumu mention it later, but I had forgotten if they were any of the tracks Carl had talked about in his review.

Otherwise, keep up the good work and I look forward to the next episode!

- Justin Pfeiffer