VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:38 PM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
All the new, original music is done by Yuko Takehara. Kondo is only credited for his reused tunes, as you said.
Which game are you talking about? Yuko Takehara on a Zelda game?? Wow, interesting...
Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:00 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
Which game are you talking about? Yuko Takehara on a Zelda game?? Wow, interesting...
This one.

Guitarist500: oh, I see. Well I still say he's credited just for his reused compositions. Maybe he did one song like he sometimes does, what can prove that?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 02:26 PM
Trusted Editor

Kondo was announced as the main composer for Mario Maker, making it the first game where he's had a major compositional role since Majora's Mask. He also revealed that he composed the helicopter track in Pilotwings.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:23 PM

Though Shinobu Tanaka did a good amount of it, Kondo had a major role in Mario Sunshine too. But awesome, it's about [expletive deleted] time he got back in the saddle. Now let's hope he's doing the new Zelda too (with Hajime Wakai for boss themes!). I can dream...
Old Dec 11, 2014, 06:43 AM

I'm worried that since it's Mario Maker that it'll just be remixes/arrangements, but still exciting nonetheless. :-)
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:45 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
Though Shinobu Tanaka did a good amount of it, Kondo had a major role in Mario Sunshine too. But awesome, it's about [expletive deleted] time he got back in the saddle. Now let's hope he's doing the new Zelda too (with Hajime Wakai for boss themes!). I can dream...
Yeah, that's true. Although I believe Tanaka did most of the songs in Sunshine? Is there a confirmed breakdown of the tracks anywhere?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:25 PM

Not for the whole soundtrack since it's never been released, but Super Mario Sound Collection: Happy! Mario 20th Super Mario Bros. shows he wrote some of the most important music. He certainly contributed significantly with at least several tracks, even if he wasn't the main composer.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
Yeah, Kondo back on Zelda would be great. It seems Nintendo likes for each new Zelda console game to have a different main composer though.

As much as I wish for Wakai's return, I'm pretty sure he'll be taking the lead on Star Fox U.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
I'm worried that since it's Mario Maker that it'll just be remixes/arrangements, but still exciting nonetheless. :-)
According to this interview, it doesn't seem like there'll be many original compositions (if any): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WsP4lnFq9w&t=3m25s. Kondo says that the platforming mode will reuse BGM from the original games and editing mode will feature new arrangements of those themes.

He also says that he's doing all music and SFX for it.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 04:50 AM

Better than nothing, I guess. It was way too quite around him the past years in terms of own musical creations -whether original or arranged-.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 08:04 AM

I'd prefer original music to arrangements, but this is nonetheless delightful news.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 06:46 PM

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 09:40 PM
Trusted Editor

If he does compose anything new, it will be one or two songs at most. Nintendo (and him too I suppose) are content with letting him remain a supervisor mostly.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 05:56 AM

So which full-time Nintendo composers have not yet been the lead on a console Zelda game?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 02:37 PM

My favorite of the newer bunch, Shiho Fujii! Not that I think that would happen. My bet is Yokota. As long as it's not Minegishi I'll probably be happy. There are still a few I haven't heard, but I doubt anything could be bad enough to change my opinion: Twilight Princess = worst Zelda soundtrack ever.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 07:52 PM

Old Dec 31, 2014, 09:06 PM
Trusted Editor

Yokota needs to do a Mario Galaxy type deal with a Zelda game. I know he did some songs for Skyward Sword, but he wasn't a major contributor AFAIK.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 02:45 AM

I'd like to see either Daisuke Shiiba or Toshiyuki Sudo take on one of Nintendo's bigger titles, but that is even less likely than other names that have been mentioned.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 09:45 PM

Old Jan 6, 2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist500 View Post
Kondo handled approximately half the soundtrack of Super Mario Sunshine by the sounds of it. All cutscene music strongly sound like his work. Half of the jingles/fanfares, final battle theme and arrangements are surely by him.
What makes you think of this? Honestly, I'm not very familiar with Shinobu Tanaka (with exeption of the Mario Kart works), but most tracks sound like her, battle themes included. For the final battle theme, I'm not sure, because I quite like the piano work here, it could be Kondo, but....
Old Jan 6, 2015, 02:31 PM
Trusted Editor

Any song with that terrible synth bass is Tanaka's for sure. The piano does sound like Kondo on the final boss theme, though.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Any song with that terrible synth bass is Tanaka's for sure.
lol. I concur.

I think Kondo did under half of the music. In addition to his confirmed songs, the only other songs I think he was responsible for are the Title Screen splash, Opening Demo, Delfino Airstrip and Ending (rhodes piano jingle). The Final Battle music seems like Tanaka to me. Maybe some of the other jingles could be his too - Get Shine Sprite?

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; Jan 7, 2015 at 01:23 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
lol. I concur.

I think Kondo did under half of the music. In addition to his confirmed songs, the only other songs I think he was responsible for are the Title Screen splash, Opening Demo, Delfino Airstrip and Ending (rhodes piano jingle). The Final Battle music seems like Tanaka to me. Maybe some of the other jingles could be his too - Get Shine Sprite?
Exactly what I think. He did the first half of the stage themes (Delfino Plaza, Bianco Hills, Ricco Harbor, Gelato Beach), as well as some additional stuff, Blitz Lunar mentioned. After several listenings I'm pretty sure the final battle theme is NOT Kondo's work The Stage Intro is definitely his, maybe the Game Over jingles, too.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 05:54 AM

Old Jan 8, 2015, 03:06 PM
Trusted Editor

But the final boss theme uses the terrible bass Tanaka always uses, so either she just emulated Kondo's style (not that hard, look at Toru Minegishi), or Kondo added the piano part on top of the song Tanaka already wrote.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 06:51 PM

Old Jan 16, 2015, 01:34 PM
Trusted Editor

While true, it would just make more logical sense for the final boss theme to be Tanaka's because she apparently did all other battle themes.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 04:32 AM

Have to admit it sounds like Tanaka to me, with the almost clumsy polyrhythm, but I'm not very positive either way. The piano does sound like Kondo, for sure. I'm undecided.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 02:17 PM

Hope you don't mind the bump.

After some study on Kondo's musical style, I'd like to have a stab at which tracks he composed for Sunshine.

One key thing about the main level themes are that you can immediately tell which composer did which simply by checking the Yoshi bongos (not that it matters since who did what is obvious there). Kondo accentuates rhythms using the higher of the two bongos (I sadly have no idea how to explain this, just... listen to stuff like Delfino Plaza or Ricco Harbor), whereas Tanaka does it with the lower one. This means, although old news, things like Pinna Park are out of the question.

Again sticking on the question of level themes the only ones Kondo did were the ones using the Delfino Plaza melody, save for Secret Course. I don't know if he also did things like the Stage Intro theme, though; it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Cutscenes would have most likely been handled by Tanaka, though the one thing that challenges that is how the samples sound... better, for the lack of a better word, than her other work in the game - perhaps those were handled later in development, after she became more familiar with the tools she was working with.

Final Battle is most undoubtedly Tanaka as well. One thing you could see in Yoshi's Island and Super Mario 64 is that Kondo introduced a bit of a leitmotif for Bowser. This motif was heavily played around with each track directly involving him (Baby Bowser, Bowser's Message, Bowser's Theme and Ultimate Bowser) within those two games, and theoretically Kondo would've continued that in Sunshine... Except he didn't.
I have no doubt with the overall awkward style (If this were from Kondo, it'd be from the same man who gave a driving rock song for a battle against a pathetic slime that can't even directly hurt you, amongst other things) and questionable instrumentation that it's, if nothing else, not Kondo. It just doesn't fit in.

When in doubt, just look out for the ones that use anything like a synth. Kondo usually doesn't use stuff like those; I know of only 4 Mario songs by him (Metal Mario, Comet Observatory 1, Mushroomy Kingdom and Smash4WiiU's SMB Medley) that uses "synth" synths (Post-NES of course).

tl;dr here's the stuff I'm 100% sure Kondo wrote:
Delfino Plaza, Bianco Hills, Secret Course, Ricco Harbor, Gelato Beach, Staff Credits & Ending.
It's possible he did the Title Screen (in World, 64 and arguably YI where there was some per-game leitmotifing going on, he used a separate song for their title screens), Get Shine Sprite and Stage Intro themes as well, but I reserve my doubts.

On a less Sunshine topic, though, does anyone know of his influences? I've been listening to a lot of things he's been influenced by (ragtime, jazz, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Sadao Watanabe, Deep Purple and ELP in particular), but I can't find more. I know he's bound to have some Latin, Calypso and Reggae influence too, but I've never seen him drop any names.
And techno. That really surprised me when he said he's been listening to a lot of that lately.

Last edited by Can of Nothing; Mar 27, 2015 at 02:19 PM.