VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Miscellaneous > Archives > VGM Decibel
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 11, 2009, 06:12 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Default Episode #005: Chippastyle

Finally after a wait far too long, We're back with a new episode of VGMdb Game Music Podcast!

Audi is joined by OSV's Jayson Napolitano in order to bring you the latest in game music news and events, and we also focused our attention to the ever growing chiptune music community. Up and coming chiptune artist Wizwars shares his experience with composing music on the sound chips of yesterday and much more! To fit all the material since our break we had to extend the show by a few minutes, but that's just more to love!

Episode #005 Contents

* The biggest news since we been gone
* Chiptunes, the community, concerts and musicians
* Audi's trip to Blipfest and meeting EGG Music's Hally
* Interview: Wizwars
* Comiket 76 recap

youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TplSpEsjbuI

Last edited by seanne; Aug 9, 2021 at 05:22 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 05:35 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

This is a good episode. A lot of interesting news and I actually think Jayson works very well as a co-host. I like how this episode has a theme to it. I don't feel that needs to be the case for every episode, but it works well here.

Technical Issues:
I like that you have music going on in the background seemingly the entire time, and it's good music too. However, the voices could be louder, especially at some times where the two of you seem to trail off into very soft speech and you're barely even audible. Also, while Jayson's voice is very clear, Audi seems to have gone back to fellating the mic again.

Looking forward to more!
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:19 AM

Wizwars here -

Great episode...though I'm not entirely sure what's up the with the audio during the interview...I had to record my voice with a digital recorder due to crappy computerl, and I was under the impression that my voice recording would be mixed with Audi's voice recording and thus it would sound better, but it seems like only my recording was used so you can barely hear what he's saying since his voice is just in the background. I'm not sure why it was done this way, but otherwise, great episode.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:57 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Volume is fixed, Justin sent the wrong mix.

Just got home from Symphonic Fantasies and an epic after party with the composers
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:30 AM

I handled the mixing and editing this time.

I didn't send the wrong mix, I just kept the overall volume lower at first to avoid clipping, particularly during Audie's speech, which seemed unavoidable even after correction. There's only so much that can be done to repair explosive blasts in the mic. I realized later though that the sound was still much lower than the previous episodes, which is why I re-adjusted it, even if it meant distortion in some parts. The range of volume in the voice clips was so extreme and sporadic. I amplified words and tried to balance it out as best I could. There were times where a person's voice completely cut out though, where nothing could be done.

As for the Wizwars interview section, the reason I decided to go solely with your recording, Wizwars, was because your interviews were recorded (or ended up somehow) at different speeds. Audie's was a bit faster, so they couldn't be synced up in one swoop. Initially I wanted to mix the two like you had in mind, and I actually spent an hour editing out all of Audie's speech from your file before I realized it wasn't going to work. It would have meant cutting the two files into about 10 pieces each, syncing them up individually, then re-pasting them all together, as the stagger became noticeable after only a minute or two of dialogue. Besides, the difference in the sound quality between both of your recordings was so extreme, it ended up actually sounding BETTER to keep them both consistent with the same recording and same quality of sound.

- Justin Pfeiffer
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:51 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Does Skype offer any 'official tools' yet for recording the skype conversations?
Any suggestions which would be the highest-rated 3rd party software for Audi to use for this purpose?
Getting good levels right off the bat would be a nice preventive measure.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:57 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Skype has some tools in development.

I also got a new mic on the way which is meant for recording vocals, my girlfriend is a musician\singer so she helped me pick it out.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:35 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Two software features which would help out the most:

1. Visual VU meters which would display both people's levels, to confirm they are matched equally from the start.
2. A realtime AGC (autogain) filter or compressor, which allows voice levels to be boosted up without the clipping.

I forgot if you're on a Mac or PC, for PC this one seems to have both those features.

Last edited by Carl; Sep 14, 2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 04:28 PM

By the way, it seems like the pronunciation of composers' names have become a small issue in the show. Here is a basic guide to pronouncing Japanese names (and Japanese in general).

[a] = "ah"
[i] = "ee"
[u] = "oo"
[e] = "eh" (as in "pen")
[o] = "oh"

So Senoue's name is correctly pronounced as, "seh-no-oo-eh." This is particularly tricky with names that have adjacent vowels, like Senoue, since the vowel pronunciations are separated in Japanese (Se/no/u/e).

Other examples:
Hosoe = "ho-so-eh"
Shiono = "shee-oh-no"
Motoaki = "moh-toh-ah-kee"
Naofumi = "nah-oh-foo-mee"
Uematsu = "oo-eh-mah-tsu"

If you stick to these rules, you shouldn't have a problem.

- Justin Pfeiffer

Last edited by xanadujin; Sep 17, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 02:06 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The funny thing is, when i speak Norwegian, those names are no problems, as it is similar to how we talk normally, but I lay on such a thick american accent, that it becomes hard to properly shift between the pronouncing of names correctly and americanized.

sigh, life as a wannabe american, what can you do