VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements > Submission Guideline Restructuring
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 3, 2010, 09:28 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Submissions - Platform

Current Guidelines
Quote:
List the platforms for all games represented on the album. Multiple platforms can be selected by using control-click.

For original soundtracks, please only select the platform that the music comes from, even if the game appeared on multiple platforms. (e.g. Don't select NES for the new Final Fantasy 3 DS soundtrack.)
Changelog
Quote:
Technical Changes to Implement
Quote:
Proposed Changes for Discussion
Quote:
  • New platforms for anime - Film, TV, Video
Old Jul 3, 2010, 09:29 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think our platform guidelines are fine, but I wanted to discuss whether we need an equivalent for anime, likely something like (Film, Television, Video).
Old Jul 3, 2010, 10:04 AM

I know this may sound like a controversial suggestion..., but honestly, I've long thought that the platform field could be merged with the product field. I feel adding the platform as a suffix of each game would work better, especially when an album contains music from many games. Just my opinion, of course.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 10:15 AM
VGMdb Administrator

That's really not so controversial. Ultimately, I think that's how we'll be able to handle platforms via the product tables, but we have a long way to go to reach that point.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 10:17 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

For animation, i see 3 different genres:
Films
OAV
Series

For games, everything seems fine..
I don't know if you guys are really interested in the following changes:

Slot Machines: maybe we could do two distinctions, 1 for Pachislot, 1 for Pachinko.
As gameplay for both "slot machines" are quite different.
Now i understand if you find it "too complicated" as most people does not know much about these machines.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Do Pachislot and Pachinko cover everything that Slot Machines covered? I wonder if there are albums for Western slot machines.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:10 PM
VGMdb Advisor

OVA / film / series (rather than just "TV", there are internet-released series) for anime would be nice. Other suggestions:

- Clarifications/guidelines about albums of games with ports (for other platforms).
I would *not* list ports ever, only the platform(s) the album was intended for. The current FF3 NES / DS example is misleading since the games are different.

Take The Last Remnant, an Xbox 360 game (the album has its music). Later a PC port came, and there may be an unreleased PS3 port. But we have "Xbox360, PC, PS3"... Misleading and unuseful... it's like listing "virtual console". (this has been done mostly for older albums though).
If a game (ex. Bayonetta) is released for two systems at the same time, it's ok to list both (Xbox 360, PS3).

Similarly another thing to point out, Bayonetta has some old Outrun tracks and such, but are intended (and used!) for Bayonetta, no sense listing Outrun/arcade as the platform.

- Trimming/reordering of the list.
The list drives me nuts. PS2? Sure, find it near +60 systems. So let's remove or put the less useful ones at the bottom. Gizmondo... wut? or the euro-pcs (amiga, spectrum...) unlikely to be used anymore. Some could be condensed into just "Others". I'd rather have simply "slot machine", Google the game if you must know.

Maybe "smartphone" for iPhone/HTC/n-gage/etc could be added if "Mobile" isn't enough.

List of the less relevant systems:

Spoiler:
Amstrad GX4000 [0 games]
Apple Pippin [0]
Atari 2600 [only ports?]
Atari 5200 [1]
Atari 7800 [1]
Atari Lynx [1]
Atari XEGS [0]
Casio Loopy [0]
Commodore MAX Machine [0]
Nintendo Virtual Boy [0]
Nokia N-Gage [1]
Pioneer LaserActive [0]
Playdia [0]
Tapwave Zodiac [0]
Tiger Gizmondo [0]
Watara Supervision [0]

Microsoft MSX -> MSX (rename: heresy, Microsoft didn't really make or own it)
Microsoft MSX2 -> MSX2 (rename)
SNK Neo-Geo CDZ -> remove (minor HW revision of the NG CD, no exclusive games)
SNES (Super Famicom) -> Nintendo SNES (Super Famicom) (rename, just so it's listed near other Nintendo systems)
Sega Nomad [0] -> remove (portable variation of Sega Genesis)
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:13 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Do Pachislot and Pachinko cover everything that Slot Machines covered? I wonder if there are albums for Western slot machines.
Good question.. i don't think so but i am not sure 100%
I don't think there's a single official album for "western slot machines"..

The oldest slot machines "music" releases are from Sankyo, and most of them are old style pachinko.
Compilation albums would need both pachinko & pachislot.. so it's maybe not so usefull.

Was just wondering about these since official releases are getting more frequent.

EDIT: 100% agree with the post above from Dag. (on every point)

Last edited by Myrkul; Jul 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 04:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

We do already say not to list the platform for ports:
Quote:
For original soundtracks, please only select the platform that the music comes from, even if the game appeared on multiple platforms. (e.g. Don't select NES for the new Final Fantasy 3 DS soundtrack.)
It could be emphasized more clearly though.

Anyway, I got rid of the Sega Nomad and the SNK Neo-Geo CDZ. What does everyone else think about removing or combining some of the others?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 01:52 AM

Wouldn't it be possible to put the console we frequently select above the list and then arrange the rest in alphabetical order? I prefer it over reducing the number of consoles.

The problem is I think there is only a fine line between being a port and being one of so-called multi-platform releases. Should we list multiple platforms only when the game is released for those consoles around the same time and remove Xbox 360 from FFXIII because the Xbox 360 version of FFXIII was a port and was released months later? But I think in most development processes of a multi-platform games the PS3 version is virtually a port. Also, what if a game was supposed to be simultaneously released for both PS3 and Xbox 360 from the very first announcement, but one of the two was eventually delayed? (I think Last Remnant is exactly that, although it's close to being canceled). I think it's one way to avoid getting deeper into this, and allow submitters select the platform of a later release, as long as it sounds the same as on the first console and doesn't bring confusion and redundancy (Virtual Console, PlayStation Network or Mobile Phone). We can select PSX for this album because the PSX port had a streamed soundtrack (unlike the later FFV and FFVI ports), but I'm not sure if it's welcomed.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 06:49 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Well, recent/multiplatform games are trickier, but I just don't think TLR OST (2008 album) should have TLR PS3 (+2010 game).

Quote:
We do already say not to list the platform for ports
I think the example is misleading, FF3 DS is a complete remake/new game with arranged music. Now if the example was FF4 SNES / PSX (emulated port with the same music) then sure.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:32 PM

What platform should we select for a iPhone/iPod Touch game? (with iPod Touch, "Mobile" may not be the best choice, I suppose). I remember a recently accepted edit went with "others" for iOS.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:49 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Maybe we should add a few platforms:

Apple platforms: iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch (altogether)
Flash/Web Games
Microsoft Kinect
(Playstation 3 Move ?)

And removing a few that still have 0 entries (and probably will never have)

Amstrad GX4000
Apple Pippin
Atari XEGS
Casio Loopy
Commodore Max Machine
Nintendo Virtual Boy
Pioneer LaserActive
Tapwave Zodiac
Tiger Gizmondo
Watara Supervision
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:14 AM

virtual boy having zero entries surprises me... i anticipate that there'll be releases with virtual boy songs in future, and - who knows - maybe those other systems as well. what's the harm in keeping them?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:49 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I agree on removing these ones:

Quote:
Amstrad GX4000
Apple Pippin
Atari XEGS
Casio Loopy
Commodore Max Machine
Pioneer LaserActive
Tapwave Zodiac
Tiger Gizmondo
Watara Supervision
I dont' think we should add Kinnect or PS3 Move, as those systems are still basically Xbox360s and PS3s (unless there is something about the technology that I'm not understanding.)

We currently have Mobile Phone, so if we add Apple (I*), do we need to add Android and other devices?

Flash/Web should also probably be added.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:11 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
I dont' think we should add Kinnect or PS3 Move, as those systems are still basically Xbox360s and PS3s (unless there is something about the technology that I'm not understanding.)
I agree. They're really just add-on input devices to the systems. Granted, really really damn fancy ones, but still just input devices. We don't differentiate between the Wii games that require the nunchuk and those that don't.

Quote:
We currently have Mobile Phone, so if we add Apple (I*), do we need to add Android and other devices?
iOS is the name of the common operating system, so I'd go with that for the title. The iPod Touch and iPad aren't mobile phones, so it's not really right to dump games in there. Likewise, Android can run on devices that aren't phones, so I'd recommend adding that too if we split iOS out.

The alternative, cop-out solution would be to call the category just "Mobile." But I think splitting is probably better. I admittedly am not well versed in the mobile device universe, so this may be opening a can of worms.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:27 PM

Btw, are we going to see PlayOnline as a product, if "Flash/Web" is added?

Last edited by Cedille; Dec 10, 2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:34 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Btw, are we going to see PlayOnline as a product, if "Flash/Web" is added?
Wouldn't that fall under "Web"?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:51 PM

It does. I just wonder if we add "Web" as a platform, we will start seeing something like PlayOnline as a product, besides browser games. PlayOnline doesn't belong to Game category, of course,

http://vgmdb.net/album/18160 (the last track is from PlayOnline).
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:58 PM
VGMdb Administrator

So, it looks like we should take out the ones mentioned above and add these:

IOS
Android
Flash/Web
Old Dec 30, 2010, 05:11 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Removed:
Quote:
Amstrad GX4000
Apple Pippin
Atari XEGS
Casio Loopy
Commodore Max Machine
Pioneer LaserActive
Tapwave Zodiac
Tiger Gizmondo
Watara Supervision
Added:
Quote:
Apple IOS
Google Android
Web/Flash
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:35 PM

Shouldn't "I" be low case? Seems like it's consistently written as iOS (although Apple licensed the "IOS" trademark as well).

Anyway, if the point of this field is to specify the release (e.g. this soundtrack contains the GBA version sound, not PSX), the best we can do is to wait for the implementation of release linking.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:41 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, I'm not an Apple expert (except the edible kind), so I've changed it to iOS.

I suppose this field could become obsolete with release linking.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:31 AM

We need Nintendo 3DS.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I've added the Nintendo 3DS to the platform list.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:46 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Preparing to add:
Quote:
Movie
Series
OVA
However, isn't OVA redundant with Movie? It's basically a movie that is distributed directly to video (dvd nowadays) instead of being release in a theater or shown on television. If we make that distinction, we might have to do the same for web releases, so maybe it's better to stick with (Movie, Series).
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:14 AM

OVA is pretty much the same as direct-to-video (which I'd use as the term as it's less ambiguous) afaik but can be either stand alone (Movie) or consist of several parts (Series). Both terms would be diluted if direct-to-video is omitted as currently Movie implicates that it's shown in cinema or some special broadcast first, and Series are usually shown on TV or similar serial broadcasting methods.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:04 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The distinction is given by the publisher themselves (not a fan thing), so I think the 3 terms have their place here.

I see it like this more or less:
- Series: low budget, ~25min, ~13+ episodes, for TV/general public. (ex: 13 eps)
- OVA/OAV: medium budget, ~30m-1h, 3~6 eps (sometimes 1 full movie but less common), tipically direct-to-video (may include riskier stuff). (ex: 4 eps)
- Movie/film: high budget, +1:30h, usually theatrical release/general public. (ex: 1)

I don't think how they are broadcasted matters really, just the publisher's intention. Some examples.
- studio makes a series, nobody wants to broadcast it on TV, they sell it via DVD or put it on the web > still "series" (IIRC this has happened in Japan).
- In the US most TV series are sold direct-to-video/DVD > still "series".
- A few OVAs are published, later a TV broadcasts them > still "OVAs".
- Some products have both standalone (1 ep) OVAs and movie releases labelled as such, ex.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:47 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Ok, i've added (Series, Movie, Direct-to-Video).

Another thing we need to do is come up with an abbreviation for every product.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:13 AM

[nevermind]

Last edited by Phonograph; Feb 6, 2018 at 09:09 AM.