VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 13, 2009, 01:31 AM

Default Album covers shown in "My collection" page

I think it would be cool if you could see all of your albums front covers on the my collection page, where all the albums are listed. So that you could switch between the text-only list view and a view with the cover images shown.

To give you an idea what I'm after (maybe with a bit smaller images):
http://www.saunalahti.fi/autioa/kuva...album-view.jpg

This is probably not a terribly useful feature, but I thought it might be nice and probably pretty easy to implement.
Old May 22, 2009, 07:18 PM

That would be cool, the size should be limited to 250x250 or 125x125, an issue is that too much bandwidth would be wasted every time that the user checks its collection, for instance a user that has more than 1000 albums would be a problem, other than that the idea is cool.

Database is more about data, very few images concerning that data should be posted.

In the future this idea might become real with an option to be selected by the user on the settings page, from a performance perspective the idea is still not feasible.
Old May 22, 2009, 08:05 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Performance can be improved by using pagination. There's usually a solution for everything.

I'll take a look into this when I start revamping the collection interface. There should be more ways to view a collection than just the folder tree structure.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:07 PM

Sounds very cool-ish, indeed.

I'm assuming that each user would be allowed to choose between "Gallery View" or "Normal View" if this ever sees the light of day, in which case I'd stick with the latter. I'm an old-fashioned bloke.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:41 PM

Unless you stick to thumbs and offload to the backup server, the load when viewing large collections might be kind of high.