VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 31, 2016, 10:55 AM

Default Videogame music with hip hop influences

Hi! New to the forums. I've been making music for about 6 or 7 years now, all under the umbrella of videogame music, with strong influences from instrumental lofi hip hop. I like to sample sound fx from my favorite SNES games (earthbound, chrono trigger, megaman 7&X, DK, mario rpg) and use them as percussive instruments, but I also compose my own videogame soundtrack-esque songs. I've done a couple Earthbound dance remix/beef-ups (as well as 4 albums of original work, dating back to 2010) through the name "Conative Clay":
Regular Battle Remix/Beef-up
Spooky Battle Remix/Beef-up
Conative Clay Bandcamp

I just launched a new project: Øk.øk.KØ
which is an extension of my old stuff, but a bit more grungy. I'm hoping to get into the world of scoring for videogames, but at the very least I just wanted to introduce myself and my music as it's great for game music enthusiasts who also like instrumental hip hop (what a nice broad niche I picked /s)

Thanks for listening! Feedback, ideas, suggestions, criticisms are welcomed. You can contact me by email at [email protected] if you'd like to inquire about using my music for a project.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 09:34 PM

Hey dude,

Your beats are so nice and trippy. I'm not a game dev, but I'm a producer like you. I can also rap too, and was wondering if you wanted to collab. This is my stuff.

If you use Ableton, hmu (Soundcloud message)! I say this because I play and like to work in both (production x vocals) fields. My mixing is average, but I think I have a good vision for my sounds.

Edit: Checking /r/INAT is a good place to look for people to work with too!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 01:26 PM

Great music dude. How long have you been producing for? Did you take any music course? Sounded great

Last edited by eqitplease; Jan 28, 2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:34 AM

Pretty good, but it'd be hard for a typical rapper to want to rap too. I'm already performing with several rappers as their DJ who produces. I do chiptune hip hop, they def dont want that happy stuff lol! But sometimes I get em on a track. One project specifically we're doing alot of chiptunes and they work because they go hard:

https://soundcloud.com/rapscallion-rascals

Tags
experimental, hip hop, original compositions, remixes, snes