VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 11, 2007, 06:04 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Major Update 6/6 -- Scan Management

With this final major update, the core submission and moderation system is finished. Undoubtedly there are still some changes, tweaks, and fixes to come, but the major work is finished. With these most recent changes:
  • Scan properties can now be edited using the 'Manage Scans' choice in the Edit menu.
  • A credit link has been added to the single scan display.
  • Edits by staff and trusted editors bypass the moderation queue.
  • Staff can accept and reject edits using the moderation queue control panel.
  • Staff can delete scans from the Manage Scans form.
Now that the major work is finished, our main task will be polishing things up in preparation for beta.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 04:33 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've added the multi-titles under the album title, just experimentally to see if anyone likes the change.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 04:11 AM
VGMdb Administrator

On the album page, you can now click on "Contained in N collections" to see who has that album in their collection. It's pretty basic, so I still need to pretty it up.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 01:51 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I've added the multi-titles under the album title, just experimentally to see if anyone likes the change.
Like I said before, I think both ways of doing it has potential and would get the job done fine. Right now I'm leaning towards the old way though.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 12:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I like seeing all the titles at the head of an album, but I'll probably defer to the majority when the time comes.

Also, I finished the About Us page. This was the last task on my list for finishing up before Beta.

http://www.vgmdb.net/audio/vgmdb-main.php?do=about
Old Sep 15, 2007, 06:21 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Hello guys!

Just to let you know that tonight i upped like 200 covers for the letter "A".

Every 1 or 2 day i'll check and add covers for each letter in alphabetic order.
I hope there will be some staff that check and delete old stuff i could not remove (with sometimes the same name so it can be confusing).

Often i upped front & back covers that i called "v2", these are just front & back cover with the visible spine card around the case.
I don't know if it's a good idea or no, so let me know since i got tons of these

There is a few problem with scans not displaying.. but i guess it's because it was
- deleted but it's still can be accessible ?
- not on the jpg/gif format.. (for exemple all the Alicesoft albums covers)

Oh and i don't know why but "Ace Combat 2 Original Soundtrack Invitation" is giving me an Error..

That's all, there will be many many more covers coming from my side soon

edit: for SS question, i like the titles display at the top like it is now.. but that's only my personnal point of view.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 06:57 PM

Hey Myrkul, do you actually own all those albums? If so, that is quite impressive.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 11:30 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for your help, Myrkul. I fixed some of the duplicates that you mentioned, while reviewing all your changes. One thing I wondered was why there are 2 totally different covers for Age of Empires III.

As for the missing scans, we lost a small amount of high-resolution scans, probably in one of the GFF crashes. Gigablah is poking around through the old backups to see if he can find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
Oh and i don't know why but "Ace Combat 2 Original Soundtrack Invitation" is giving me an Error..
I'm not sure. Actually, I can't find that album in our database at all, so are you sure it's there?
Old Sep 16, 2007, 02:44 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

No problem, glad i can help a bit.

Thanks a lot for the review SS, you did a perfect job.
For Age of Empire III, the covers i upped comes from the Collector's Edition.
I guess the other one is a normal release.

For the error on Ace combat 2 [SCEG-765], i took a shot:

If you want me to upload again all "non-working" covers i also have (if i recognise them, but i know i got the majority of these Alicesoft covers), i can do it.

@Free.User:
I would love to own all of those albums but no.. i don't (only digitaly), i am more a western vgm collector..
I throw an eye to YJA 4 times a week and the majority of covers i upped/will up are from there.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 03:59 AM
VGMdb Administrator

That error can happen if an album exists but isn't set to active. Current behaviour (what I previously coded, anyway) is that inactive albums cannot be viewed by anyone on the public interface, and are treated as non-existing.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 06:17 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Ah, I found the problem. This is in browse album, not search, and we were still showing inactive albums there. I've remedied that, plus I reactivated the Ace Combat promo. Good catch.

I have this sinking feeling that we don't have a backup with the missing covers, so if you feel like replacing them, then I'd say go for it.

EDIT - Bumped the number of results per page up from 20 to 30. Let me know if anyone likes/dislikes the change.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 03:14 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Replace what you can. I'll try to plug in whatever's left when I get back.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 06:15 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Ok i am off for today..

i added lots of covers for "B" albums, the biggest part was the 250 High Quality biohazard covers (~100 Mbs)
Credits for all of the Biohazard HQ scans goes to "Mr. Y".

To help a bit more staff reviewing covers, i sometimes renames them with (del), that mean that you can delete those scans, since they are:
- lesser quality
- not displaying correctly

Suggestions:

. Could you (will you) warn poeple to not upload crap scans when good ones already exists..
. It's a silly question.. but why the "Obi" scans always display bigger than the rest in the browse covers mode?
. Once again i am suggesting that covers are displayed by Names and not in upload order or whatever..
Old Sep 16, 2007, 07:19 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for those scans. There are some really nice ones in there. Also, great idea for marking the ones that need deleted. I'm planning on adding some delete request capability later on, but this works great for now.

Just a note - in general, it's better to keep a lower resolution scan, when the lower-res scan is more colorful or less washed out than the higher-res one. Also, we need to crop any of the booklet front+back scans, since the display is perfectly sized for a booklet front.

I'll work on the rest of your suggestions. I'd played around with the alphabetized display of scans in the gallery, but it wasn't working right for some reason....
Old Sep 17, 2007, 05:27 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Obi scans display bigger because thumbnail images are resized to a uniform width (according to bobo's code). Obis are much taller than they are wide.'

I dunno if we should tweak thumbnail resizing, but we could always "chop" off the obi display at a certain height by using CSS overflow:hidden (that's what I do for the scan displays for newly added and upcoming listings on the front page).

Actually, I have a different idea for the gallery display. There's this nifty Magnifier effect which is all "hip" and "wicked" and "cool"...
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:16 AM

Great! I guess i can help with some scans!
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:36 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Obi scans display bigger because thumbnail images are resized to a uniform width (according to bobo's code). Obis are much taller than they are wide.'
It would be great if you could do something about this issue. Not so much because of Obi scans, but to make front cover scans for Cassette releases display in a more proper way.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 01:59 PM

What about "better" scans? I could provide scans at higher resolutions for albums that already have a cover.

I suppose I just upload such a cover and someone from the staff will take care of it (delete the old cover, place mine on the 'default' position etc.)? Or should I set the old one Unsafe additionally or something?
Old Sep 24, 2007, 03:16 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, better scans are always a nice improvement, so if you upload one, set it to 'default'. Eventually, we're going to code up a "request delete" function, but until then, one thing you could do is rename the old scan to (for example) "00 front (del)", then a staff member can delete it when he approves the name change.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 03:30 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Do not hesitate to upload scans if you think they have/can be of better quality.
Staff will check them and rename/delete the old ones if necessary.

Since i am doing lot of cover works, i'll probably check them, go ahead!