VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:23 PM

I have a suggestion: in order to have all 3 volumes of OST linked, maybe we could have a product represented here "Dead or Alive 5" instead of "Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate"? All 3 volumes are are essentially connected to one product = Dead or Alive 5. Volume 2 was released with PS Vita port. DOA5 Ultimate is an upgraded edition, but the point is - regardless of various ports or editions this is still at its core a Dead or Alive 5 game.

Can I get some yes/no opinions here please?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 03:32 AM
VGMdb Staff

I wouldn't completely agree with it, content of plus and ultimate is different (expanded?) and they're released as standalone games and not as DLCs/expansion packs...
This reminds of Street Fighter IV -> Super Street Fighter IV -> Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition trend... Those games all got separate product pages here even though SSF4 and SSF4:AE are just upgraded/tweaked/expanded versions of SF4.

So we either make new product pages for doa5 plus and ultimate OR we simply add original, plus and ultimate games as releases of doa5 on the existing page (current page doesn't have any releases specified).

That's only my take on this.

Last edited by Efendija; Jun 20, 2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:21 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Vol. 3 should have "products represented: Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate", like Vol.2.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:59 AM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the suggestion with product pages had more to do with grouping these albums under franchise or under DOA5 product page. But grouping them with 'Dead or Alive 5' title isn't quite good because the games do have different titles and all...

Easiest thing would be of course putting Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate in the represented products field and call it a day. No creating product pages or anything :)
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:53 PM

Ok cool beans, I was just wondering what others think of this idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efendija View Post
This reminds of Street Fighter IV -> Super Street Fighter IV -> Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition trend... Those games all got separate product pages here even though SSF4 and SSF4:AE are just upgraded/tweaked/expanded versions of SF4.

So we either make new product pages for doa5 plus and ultimate OR we simply add original, plus and ultimate games as releases of doa5 on the existing page (current page doesn't have any releases specified).
. . .
Yeah, I forgot to mention that the suggestion with product pages had more to do with grouping these albums under franchise or under DOA5 product page. But grouping them with 'Dead or Alive 5' title isn't quite good because the games do have different titles and all...
If I understood this correctly then I think this would be the best approach, is to have all versions of DOA5 under 1 product page. So if Dead or Alive 5 product page has release info for DOA5 Plus and DOA5 Ultimate, then volumes 2 & 3 will be linked to that page, even though each of those albums will have DOA5 Plus and DOA5 Ultimate as products represented respectively? (sorry for a long sentence)
If that's the case, then I honestly think this is the best approach to any game title and its subsequent re-releases/upgraded editions/ports. In that sense Street Fighter IV was a bit of an overkill with all its separate product pages of "Super" and "Arcade Edition". But that's just my look on it.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:17 AM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, you understood it good. I don't think these upgraded versions really need completely separate product pages. The problem is this though: if we put DOA5/plus/ultimate as releases only, the represented product will still be shown as "Dead or Alive 5" and not (in this album's case) "Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate" as it should, even if you link correctly only Ultimate release (which I just did.. and Japanese versions only)... That's because we don't have something like product alias which Cedille mentioned recently in another thread.

But if you make a separate page for DOA5 Ultimate you obviously won't have this issue. Problems, problems
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:16 PM

Ooooh I see. So the 'product represented' field is displaying Dead or Alive 5 even though it's written DOA5 Ultimate in it. It's too bad that it can't be treated as any ordinary link, you know like when you can type in Yahoo but it's actually Google.
Ah well, technical obstacles and limitations... I don't know anymore, this is too complex
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:53 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Stuff

Sound test:
Zany Zapper / Zack --from DOA4
I Feel For You / Tina --from DOA4
Fang / Jann Lee --from DOA4
Hunter's Moon / Hayabusa --from DOA4
Purity / Kasumi --from DOA4
Mentor / Gen Fu --from DOA4
Solitary Desperation / Helena --from DOA4
Steel Horse Rider / Bass --from DOA4