VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 22, 2020, 01:19 PM

Shouldn't "Tal Tal Heights" been renamed to "Tal Tal Mountain Range"? I know it's just a small suggestion on the English tracklist, but I think Tal Tal Heights is a different area which is below the mountain, while this track plays on the mountain range itself.

As the the composer breakdown, the different "versions" can be attributed to the original composer, as it's just a slightly different instrumentation.

"Rapid's Ride (Time Attack)" is an original track by Ryo Nagamatsu I think, so are "Shadow Battle - Final Form" (albeit the melody sounds familiar) and "The Windfish Appears". "Enter Name - Hidden BGM "Marin"" is another BotW Version, so Hamano can be credited I guess.

Btw currently playing the game and it's amazing! It was my first game back then on the original Game Boy!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 08:05 PM

Yeah, and this remixed soundtrack sounds spectacular. (Although to be honest, I think the Trials of Mana remixed score just edges this out, although only slightly.)
Old Mar 25, 2020, 08:45 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
Yeah, and this remixed soundtrack sounds spectacular. (Although to be honest, I think the Trials of Mana remixed score just edges this out, although only slightly.)
Funny enough, for me the Nagamatsu's arranged version sounds god awful, something about those live instruments and how they're played just sounds bad. I don't know if it's me or my ears, or did they want this to sound like some kindergarten kids are playing or what.

Edit. Have to backtrack a bit, tracks without flutes (piccolo especially I think, or oboe) being the major instrument, are damn good. Why they had to overdo those so much on some tracks.

Last edited by Razakin; Mar 25, 2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 03:52 PM

The original Game Boy soundtrack also had a toybox-like feel to it. I believe the goal was to predominantly feature the 8 instruments of the Sirens and I think Nagamatsu did a great job. Even with more traditional arrangements like Sword Search it's kept to a small ensemble and works well. And I can't even begin to tell how much I adore his version of Face Shrine. The original was one of the best tracks in the game and Nagamatsu elevates it to one of the best in the series. He knew to respect the original GB sound while adding those strings to really punch up the emotional impact of that point in the story. I almost dread listening to it because of the implications it has to Link's quest.

Last edited by Aifread; Mar 25, 2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 04:22 PM
Trusted Editor

Maybe it was just the beginning tracks on first disc that did annoy me, but after Tal Tal Mountain Range, I started noticing shift into a better stuff at least for me. Guess it kinda follows that the game is going into more and more towards ends, thus the 'toyboxness' starts to fade out.

Also, could be that I just love the original Game Boy soundtrack so much, so many good memories playing it as a kid.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 04:49 PM

I have a lot of memories and love for the original as well, but the infancy of GB music programming often produced a lot of these odd and sometimes abrasive sounds, and I think Nagamatsu captured that weirdness well if that makes sense. Stuff like the steel drum(?) he employs in the house theme somehow feels right and faithful to the feeling of the original and not just because of the island setting.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
The original Game Boy soundtrack also had a toybox-like feel to it. I believe the goal was to predominantly feature the 8 instruments of the Sirens and I think Nagamatsu did a great job. Even with more traditional arrangements like Sword Search it's kept to a small ensemble and works well. And I can't even begin to tell how much I adore his version of Face Shrine. The original was one of the best tracks in the game and Nagamatsu elevates it to one of the best in the series. He knew to respect the original GB sound while adding those strings to really punch up the emotional impact of that point in the story. I almost dread listening to it because of the implications it has to Link's quest.
Absolutely true. I think Nagamatsu did a great job with his arrangements here! The addition of some 8-bit sounds to the live instruments on some of the tracks really make the music feel special. I can't say enough how I love Tal Tal Heights and his arrangements (especially the second version) are absolutely stunning! And I agree, "Face Shrine" is one of the best arrangements on this soundtrack. While the original was quite mysterious but rather mundane, Nagamatsu brings up some real emotion here with this string arrangement (which is fitting as Link previously learned the fateful truth of his journey and this track kinda is a line from the unknown towards the doom).

I really wish they would remake A Link to the Past (yeah, again I know) with this visuals, as it's graphically identical as LA. Or maybe the Oracle games. I'm surprised Nintendo still comes up with fresh ideas for their franchise!