VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 18, 2014, 08:22 AM

Sounds like Koshiro and the gang are back with the same rich production of orchestral/rock mashup. Also, sounds like original SekaQ II themes are rearranged a la the first Shin SekaQ.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 08:52 AM
VGMdb Advisor

As much as I adore Koshiro et al, I'm more than a little irked that it seems like they're just going and remaking the entire series. I was cool with them remaking the first one, but if they're just going to go and recycle the whole series less than a decade after it started ... I think that's a little weak, personally. This has less to do with Koshiro and much more to do with the developer of the franchise (Atlus, yes?)
Old Nov 18, 2014, 09:01 AM

Ramza,

I think that the next EO will most likely be EO5. I believe that the main EO team was behind Persona Q, hence the remakes in between. Purely conjecture, but not entirely unfounded. As an aside, I'd say that EO2 also needed a drastic overhaul as it was still somewhat a greenhorn compared to the first game. With EO3 and EO4, there was a lot less ambiguity in terms of skills, etc.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:36 AM

I have more of a problem with how they (Koshiro?) dropped the FM music from the previous games towards orchestral music - it was a vital part of the series' identity that I always loved and really added something special. The cancellation of the EO IV's FM album still hurts.

Didn't really care about the first Untold's arrangements to be honest.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 01:42 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 《J》 View Post
I have more of a problem with how they (Koshiro?) dropped the FM music from the previous games towards orchestral music - it was a vital part of the series' identity that I always loved and really added something special. The cancellation of the EO IV's FM album still hurts.
Yeah, shame they're not doing FM anymore.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 01:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 《J》 View Post
The cancellation of the EO IV's FM album still hurts.
I was mega bummed about that too.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 03:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Personally, I've never been happier than now! EO4 has my favorite soundtrack of the series. The acoustic touch is absolutely dreamy. It's so warm, light, beautiful, and also dark and mysterious. A real delight to my ears. I have no interest in FM style, really.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 04:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I'm with everyone on the things they like. The FM tracks were great, and I wish EO4 had gotten its FM album.

And at the same time, I think the EO4 OST that we got was one of Koshiro's best OSTs *ever* ... but that's primarily because it suits my tastes so well. For anyone who wants to argue that his best works are Bare Knuckle or Wangan Midnight, I'm not going to argue, because that stuff is awesome in its own way. But for me, EO4 really was amazing.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 04:54 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
Personally, I've never been happier than now! EO4 has my favorite soundtrack of the series. The acoustic touch is absolutely dreamy. It's so warm, light, beautiful, and also dark and mysterious. A real delight to my ears. I have no interest in FM style, really.
Same here. I really love the live instrumentation on tracks like Labyrinth I - Cerulean Woodlands. Also the mastering of the album is exceptionally good, making it very pleasant to listen.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 07:43 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't care for FM synth. However, I think that FM synth is actually important for writing the music initially. Having constraints allows Yuzo Koshiro to focus on the melody lines, so that when the instruments are upgraded, the songs sound fantastic. I have heard too many RPG soundtracks where the songs are too "ambient" or with weak melody lines. If I came hum the tune, it won't be memorable.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 07:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor

CD Japan lists this soundtrack as out of print already? It has only been less than a month since release.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
CD Japan lists this soundtrack as out of print already? It has only been less than a month since release.
Maybe that's just an error and it is currently out of stock? It has only been 2 weeks so that is rather strange. I'll see if I can find more information about it through my contact at MAGES.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Maybe that's just an error and it is currently out of stock? It has only been 2 weeks so that is rather strange. I'll see if I can find more information about it through my contact at MAGES.
After having contacted both CDJapan and MAGES/5pb., both seem to give different tales:

Quote:
CDJapan:

Thank you for contacting CDJapan.
Unfortunately, Out of Print is not a temporary status.
It's a status that record companies feed into our website to indicate that they are no longer accepting any more order.
I'm sorry, but this item will not become available again.
Quote:
5pb./MAGES:

Shin SQ2 OST is not "Out of Print".
This CD seems sale has expired temporarily. Stock so strong In Japan!
So, even if CDJapan thinks it won't be available for sale again on their website, it should still (and is still) being sold on other online vendors.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 07:14 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
After having contacted both CDJapan and MAGES/5pb., both seem to give different tales:

So, even if CDJapan thinks it won't be available for sale again on their website, it should still (and is still) being sold on other online vendors.
Thanks for checking this out Don. From what I understand, doesn't 5pb have their own website to sell CDs? I recall reading something about 5pb republishing older Sekaiju No Meikyuu CDs, but you could only get it from their website.

I did manage to find a vendor who sold it, so I was able to order it. But, CDJapan is not looking to be my vendor of choice anymore at this rate.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
Thanks for checking this out Don. From what I understand, doesn't 5pb have their own website to sell CDs? I recall reading something about 5pb republishing older Sekaiju No Meikyuu CDs, but you could only get it from their website.

I did manage to find a vendor who sold it, so I was able to order it. But, CDJapan is not looking to be my vendor of choice anymore at this rate.
In defense of CD Japan they do still have all of 5pb's Sekaiju no Meikyu re-releases-including the Piano and Strings Super Arrange -and you don't need to know Japanese to order them. Still, that's utterly bizarre that they've listed Fafnir no Kishi as out of print already. I noticed this just now as I was looking through my bookmarks over there and immediately went to find it elsewhere- and did. In my limited experience Play Asia seems to sell out of such things first and they still have it, so we should be good for a while. Thanks for bringing this to light Eriol, and Don for the footwork.

I wholeheartedly agree with the previous posts. As much as I love my Bare Knuckle Original Soundtrack, I'd vote EO4 as my favorite of Koshiro's work. Its unassuming warmth has lulled me to a blissful sleep more than once. And each song was represented at length- most of them looped twice, if I remember correctly.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread, though it is bittersweet having learned there was once an FM album in the works. Guess I'll go listen to 7th Dragon again...

Retro Gamer's Top 100 Games of All Time voting now open!
http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/...e-voting-open/

Last edited by waxattax; Mar 14, 2015 at 04:38 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:29 PM
Trusted Editor

Any reasons why the Etrian Odyssey series uses romaji as the main title instead of the localized English?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 01:10 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Any reasons why the Etrian Odyssey series uses romaji as the main title instead of the localized English?
The localized title shouldn't be used as display unless it actually appears on the album.

However going by the enclosure and previous releases this maybe has "Shin Sekaiju no MeiQ 2 -Knight of Fafnir-" printed somewhere and that should probably be the display title. Can anyone with the album confirm?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
Illidan thinks you speak about the album title, I think you speak about the product represented
could you specify what you meant by main title?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:57 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
Illidan thinks you speak about the album title, I think you speak about the product represented
could you specify what you meant by main title?
I meant the album title that shows up, sorry. Illidan answered it.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:45 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxattax View Post
In defense of CD Japan they do still have all of 5pb's Sekaiju no Meikyu re-releases-including the Piano and Strings Super Arrange -and you don't need to know Japanese to order them.
I did not notice before. I went back and searched on "Etrian Odyssey" and there they are. I haven't ordered from CDJapan for almost 6-8 months, and the last time I searched for Etrian Odyssey, these albums didn't come up. Good to know. Thanks!

Quote:
Still, that's utterly bizarre that they've listed Fafnir no Kishi as out of print already. I noticed this just now as I was looking through my bookmarks over there and immediately went to find it elsewhere- and did. In my limited experience Play Asia seems to sell out of such things first and they still have it, so we should be good for a while. Thanks for bringing this to light Eriol, and Don for the footwork.

It is my understanding that 5pb now publishes the Sekaiju No Meikyuu music albums now. Maybe they only printed a small batch. After all, if 5pb sells albums directly to the customer, they may not need to make so many to give to retailers to sell.

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree with the previous posts. As much as I love my Bare Knuckle Original Soundtrack, I'd vote EO4 as my favorite of Koshiro's work. Its unassuming warmth has lulled me to a blissful sleep more than once. And each song was represented at length- most of them looped twice, if I remember correctly.
I would like to think that the strength of the Etrian Odyssey music from a compositional and melodic perspective is because Yuzo Koshiro composes the music on FM synth. Working with a more limited instrument set allows Yuzo to focus on memorable songs, instead of the orchestral and ambient "nonsense" (in my opinion) in todays RPGs. Even JRPGs that don't use ambient songs seem to suffer from lack of a memorable melody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
The localized title shouldn't be used as display unless it actually appears on the album.

However going by the enclosure and previous releases this maybe has "Shin Sekaiju no MeiQ 2 -Knight of Fafnir-" printed somewhere and that should probably be the display title. Can anyone with the album confirm?
I have this album now, but I do not see any English words for the album title. No instances of "Knight of Fafnir" written out in English for the album title. It is all kanji or katakana as far as I can tell. (I can't read Japanese though.) I presume the "Knight of Fafnir" wording needs to be changed to romaji?

Last edited by Eriol; Mar 19, 2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 06:37 AM

Added guitarists Daisuke Kunita, Tomoyoshi Hirano, Daisuke Miyazaki to the list (they had been missing).