VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 6, 2009, 06:02 AM

I updated the tracklists with complete tracktitles. They were missing the part descripting their ingame use. Those aren't shown on the current scans, but they actually are present on the booklet, just like any other CAVE release.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:47 PM

I'm not going to make this change right away, and it may not matter, but... I really don't think those are part of the track names. I don't think every last little thing listed by a track always needs to be taken as part of the track name. Sometimes things are put there for informational purposes.

The reason I say this here is because, if you've ever actually seen the game, it lists the song name at the beginning of each level in the bottom-left corner of the screen, and it (obviously) leaves all that information out. I just don't think those things are part of the song's actual name. Just neat information. And the names on the back match the names in the game, spelling errors and all ("Endress Train", for one).

I dunno, if you want to take the extra booklet information as absolute canon, go ahead, but come on... "Voice Collection - Voice Collection" is a pretty dumb NAME. This is a NAME we're talking here, lol. I don't mean to dis you Kewing because obviously you added this to be correct and complete, but I don't think those things are part of the names.

Last edited by Hellacia; Feb 19, 2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 05:48 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Like you say these 'subtitles' can't be considered part of the name proper. But it's still official and useful info that belongs here imo, and there are many albums with similar subtitles printed even in the back scan though not eterely part of the name. Personally I'd have a separate subtitle field for albums like these so you could disable them, I'll suggest that.

As for name repeat, surely whoever wrote it realizes he's just repeating stuff and still put it like that... Plus I don't see how "Voice - Voice" is any dumber than "Endress Train" .
Old Feb 20, 2010, 06:01 AM

There was a similar situation with beatmania albums where on the back of the case it was printed in the form of '[genre] track name' and some of the albums used that in the tracklist, I asked blah about it and he said the non-title bits could just be removed. Given this is a similar situation I think (emphasis on think) that applies here. If the information is considered important, you should probably just stick it in the notes.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 06:51 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't know much about beatmania but I think if they put these descriptions we should honor them. I may be a bit biased because imo they are very helpful. I'd rather have "Upbeat track (final boss)" than just "Upbeat track" with no context.
Anyway I've opened a new thread to see what others think.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Plus I don't see how "Voice - Voice" is any dumber than "Endress Train" .
HAHA, well... "endress" is just an honest (is it honest?) translation error. You know what happens with L and R when dealing with Japanese. But man, "voice - voice"? That's just, like... a blatant repeat. It's redundant. Not really as "honest" of an error to me. Because who would honestly NAME it "Voice Collection - Voice Collection"? It was much more likely added to be consistent with listing the rest of the descriptions.

Well thanks for opening up the discussion about it. Another thing to note here: these descriptions are used in one place and not the other. If they were used in both places then okay, I'd be more likely to assume that it's the REAL track name (whatever that is now, lol).

*shrugs* Politics... :P

Last edited by Hellacia; Feb 21, 2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:58 AM

I really don't understand what happened with the "Robot no. 28" track. I cannot listen to it without feeling like I have tinnitus (a high pitch sound ruins the track). I think Shinji Hosoe's age is contributing to some high pitch sounds not being removed. (The 2nd track--probably my favorite track on the album--has a very high pitch sound at the start of the track at .5 seconds, but that one doesn't cause discomfort to my ears).

Last edited by Vert1; Jun 24, 2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:17 PM

I have listened to both of those and have not heard any unnatural high pitched sounds. Are you sure you don't have tinnitus? My friend also listened and heard no such thing.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:51 PM

Listen to the first second of "Guardian Angel". The high pitch sound kicks in at .5 seconds. You really have to listen for it.

Listen starting from 29 seconds on "Robot No. 28". It sounds exactly like that ear ringing sound I would hear if I came out of a concert where the music was playing too loud. The track bothered me two years ago, and still to this day. At first I thought I was just imagining the sound in my mind, but yea, that wasn't the case.

Me & Tinnitus? Not yet.

As for my not being able to handle high pitch sounds, I can listen (and enjoy) this just fine:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbn...ventolin_music

Last edited by Vert1; Jun 24, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:11 AM

Ok, I hear both of them now that you point them out, but they aren't bothersome at all. Maybe you just have super sensitive ears?

As for the video you posted, that is what I expected to hear in the Ibara tracks. That is infinitely more annoying and higher pitch than what you describe hearing in Ibara and definitely sounds like the "ear ringing" sensation you describe.

Last edited by Don; Jun 25, 2010 at 03:13 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 06:02 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Only game music songs I know of that some really weird ringing sounds are Dilly Hilly Valley [Seal Online] and IDOLA "The Fanatic Viper" (around 0:30) [Phantasy Star Online IV]. Obviously done for effect. On the contrary, I've not had any problems with any of the IBARA music.