VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:10 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've got a three-way private message discussion about this album, so let's make this easier.

Myrkul brings up the point that most of this music isn't written by the bands, it's credited to some band member (i.e. Dave Mustaine vs. Megadeth). Maybe it doesn't make sense for the bands to be listed as composers. I don't have a solution for this, other than to list them in the notes as the performers who made those works known.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:23 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

It's not like i want to be picky or something, but it's about consistency on our method of credits & submissions.

Thing is, it's way harder to find the credits for western albums..
Songs are often credited as "written by" so again can't be 100% sure if it's about the lyrics, the composition or both.
Also without booklets or clear informations, it's way way more time consuming to find such informations.
You got to look (and trust) wikis.. discogs is a good place too, etc...

As an example we could compare the band "Abingdon Boys School" to "Megadeth" (hey i said it's an example)
Are we crediting the band for composition or the member(s) who really wrote the song ?

Also, and i guess we all agree that we do not probably want to get all these western bands into the database, this have to be taken into consideration.

Last edited by Myrkul; Oct 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:24 AM

Suggestions:

1) We leave all "composer" fields empty (until some serious thorough search has been made for all tracks)
2) "Arranger" field empty (the tracks are arranged from popular songs, but they're the original sound tracks of the game)
3) Performer = WaveGroup (WaveGroup plays/sings the tracks)
4) in the notes, we leave my edits (track X originally performed by Y popular band).
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:29 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think that is a good solution.

By the way, I mentioned it in another thread, but it seems like in the West, "Written" implies both lyrics and music. In Japan, they specifically make a distinction between the two roles.

And yeah, I agree that we don't want entries for all of these Western bands and artists who have nothing to do with games.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:57 AM

How about leaving a generic "Various Artists" credit in the "composer" field?
(With infos in the notes).

Not really a fan of VA credits for the file tags myself, but if we wanna avoid crediting western composers, it could be a solution (I noticed some DDR & GTA albums on the db have this generic credit)

Check the entry now (I re-edited it slightly) and tell me what you think about it.
We could apply this template to the whole WaveGroup collection if you think it's worth it.
(and even to these kinds of albums currently in the db)

krelian
Old Oct 3, 2011, 02:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Notes section looks good to me, aside from "Red Hot Chili Pepper." Until someone tracks down the composers and lyricists of every single track, that's the way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelian75 View Post
2) "Arranger" field empty (the tracks are arranged from popular songs, but they're the original sound tracks of the game)
Even though this is an OST, if the tracks are arranged from the originals, then I think we should credit the arranger(s). If we know who they are, of course (I don't really know anything about Guitar Hero music).

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelian75 View Post
How about leaving a generic "Various Artists" credit in the "composer" field?
(With infos in the notes).

Not really a fan of VA credits for the file tags myself, but if we wanna avoid crediting western composers, it could be a solution (I noticed some DDR & GTA albums on the db have this generic credit)
I personally don't like using "Various Artists," just because it doesn't really add any useful information over leaving the field blank. I'd love to some day get rid of it from those other albums too, which are mostly older entries.