VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements > Submission Guideline Restructuring
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 20, 2011, 01:03 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Or just Original Video, if you don't want the "animation" bit.

Or abbreviate everything: OVA / D2V.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 01:22 AM

[nevermind]

Last edited by Phonograph; Feb 6, 2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 02:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Something that was brought up in chat: Both movies and series can be in OVA / D2V format.

But still, we're not going for an elaborate taxonomy here, so we might as well just follow whatever established format other sites have come up with. By the way, ANN has the following categories: TV Series, Movie, OAV, ONA (???) and Omnibus.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 05:48 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, my fear is that OVA is redundant. It still seems like it is just an alternate distribution method for a series or movie, aside from Dag's explanation that the budgets and scopes generally lie in between those two.

I think we are going to see more commercial web releases in the future, and those could also run the gamut between movie and series in format. However, ANN has the OVA category, so it might be an important distinction. Anyway, I renamed this back to OVA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
the thing you could make is:
when you choose animation (for example), only animation choices appears in the platforms menu (same with game)
We definitely should do this.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:17 AM

[nevermind]

Last edited by Phonograph; Feb 6, 2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 03:51 AM

It's possible that we have to divide "PC-88" into variations. The later consoles had upgraded sound chips, and for retro game soundtracks , it's sometimes explicitly mentioned from which consoles an album is recorded.

Sorcerian was released over multiple PC-88 consoles (PC-88SR, PC-88VA) for instance and soundtracks from both consoles have been released (even until today...).
Old Jan 4, 2012, 07:30 AM
VGMdb Administrator

How many different sound variations are there for the PC-88?

We may have a similar issue with PCs back in the old days, when there were different sound cards (Roland, Adlib, SB) that all produced different sounds. Although, there weren't many PC-game soundtracks released in those days.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
How many different sound variations are there for the PC-88?Although, there weren't many PC-game soundtracks released in those days.
I have zero knowledge on this and perhaps somebody else deep in retro game music community (e.g. hoot) could clarify it better, but according to my brief research, two sound chips were basically used for the PC-88 series, with some optional sound cards. So perhaps if we're to add a PC-88 variation without making our listbox chaotic, dividing it two 2 categories is reasonable. My suggestion is NEC PC-88(OPN), NEC PC-88(OPNA) (alternative is NEC PC-88(YM2203), NEC PC-88(YM2608)). We can hold off addition until we look into soundtrack of the days more finely, of course. Not sure how many there would be, besides Sorcerian.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:24 PM

Does the PC reference cover most OS's like Mac, Linux, Windows, etc?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:13 AM
Trusted Editor

How about differentiating the 'Arcade' platform a bit more? This could be interesting for the use of different sound chips on different arcade boards. To stop sheer inflating we could only add arcade-platforms that actually have soundtracks in the db (like Hyper Neo Geo 64 for example).

Furthermore, how about 'Pinball' as platform category? There are some albums with pinball music (ex).
Old Jun 26, 2013, 04:25 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Can we have an entry for Ouya? I know it's running Android, but there are some exclusives, one of which has a soundtrack that will be released this year.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 02:07 PM

Pinball and Ouya seconded. I'd also like to recommend Game & Watch simply for archival purposes in case remixes of it were released on Doujin. Considering it was NIntendo's first handheld...

I am extremely knowledgable on ALL THINGS Ys and LUNAR. If you have a question about either series, ASK AWAY! I will answer it to the best of my ability!