VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:34 AM

Question Demand for hardware video game music / module / chiptune player?

Hello!

I was looking for a hardware player for video game music formats, module formats and chiptune formats for years. I didn't find one which could do these things natively. I always had to convert the music to MP3, which could take quite a lot of time, and as we all now, MP3s need far more space than SPCs or SIDs, for example. I finally found a way: I bought a Dingoo game console, put a custom firmware and a linux music player on it.

So I now thought: I might be able to build such a player myself (for as many of these formats as possible: MOD, IT, XM, S3M, SID, SPC, NSF, GSF, GBS, PSF). But since this is quite a large project, I won't start it unless I could kinda "mass-produce" it later, which means having the PCBs manufactured and reusing my software (which needs probably the most work). The device will be as small as possible for me and use an SD card storage.

So, is there any need for such a player? Would - hypothetically - anybody buy it from me? I don't know the cost yet, however, it could be anything between - dunno - $30 and $250...

Best regards,
Cherry

PS: This is something like a "I wanna create a MMORPG!!!!!!" thread in a game developer forum - I have quite a lot of experience with microcontrollers, designing electronics, etc.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:57 AM

Have you already looked at ROCKbox? There's a detailed list of supported formats. Building upon that should be the least wasteful approach.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:54 AM

I think it's a very interesting idea and it would be a lovely thing to own (and if you did try to create such a thing I'd love to see it) however with Modizer doing the same job on iPhone for about £1.20* I personally wouldn't feel the need to go out of my way to put another square-ish lump of plastic in my pockets.

*I know Modizer isn't perfect, but it's not half bad either.