VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 20, 2008, 07:17 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I've rejected a few edits on the Japanese tracklist, and I want to address a bit of a misunderstanding.

For the albums on VGMdb, the Japanese tracklist might be a bit of a misnomer, because its intended use is to archive the original tracklist for a Japanese album. This means that English (or other latin character) words on a Japanese tracklist should stay in English, and there's no need to translate them to Japanese.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:55 AM

Smile

I see, thanks for clearing that up. I used the original Japanese tracklist as it appears in the booklet for Disc 2 (including Latin characters) but since Disc 1 was all in English I was a bit confused, so I used a translation from this website:
http://www.barks.jp/cdreview/?id=2000125127

I was thinking about adding another tracklist under the name of "Original"... what do you think about that idea?

Last edited by Shredder; Nov 20, 2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 09:10 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Well, the problem is we'd have to rename the "Japanese" tracklist for the other 10,000 albums to "Original" as well, so we should probably think about this some more.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:01 AM

Don't bother.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 02:34 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Well, the problem is we'd have to rename the "Japanese" tracklist for the other 10,000 albums to "Original" as well, so we should probably think about this some more.
"Japanese (verbatim)" is an option, though perhaps not the most intuitive one.

EDIT: Another thought, there could be an option in the tracklists to checkbox which one is verbatim with the liner notes. Then maybe a star/asterisk or some other icon would appear next to it.

Last edited by Liontamer; Nov 20, 2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 07:43 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The current issue with tracklisting is that there's no way to have partial translations. My ideal system would be like:

Default | English
1. 春風
2. ice mist
3. Omelette au fromage

Default | English
1. Spring breeze
2. ice mist
3. Cheese omelette

Only tracks 1 and 3 will have entries in the "english" tracklist. So translations are done by overlaying the default (verbatim) tracklist with only the tracktitles that have changed. With the "default" title we also avoid pegging tracklists that have 90% english and 10% japanese tracktitles as "Japanese". Plus we stop setting particular tracklists as a "default" one -- this should be done dynamically according to a user's language settings.
Old May 26, 2009, 09:19 PM

Location: Heaven? No no, what's that other place that starts with H? Oh yes, home. :-)

This is a really nice album. The first disc with its awesome Jazz arrange and the second disc with all of the nostalgic music from Super Mario Bros. 1-3 & World.

For anyone that's interested, I uploaded some really high quality scans to replace what's currently there. Credit goes to someone else though.

Enjoy.

One man was smart, he felt smart. Two men were smart, they smelt farrr...darn it! I'll never get it right.

What is "the box" that people are supposed to think outside of anyway? Hmm. Maybe it's similar to the Borg from Star Trek who dwelled as a collective hive-mind within a...box/cube. Those that deviated from this hive-mind would, in effect, be thinking outside of the box. it has both a figurative and a literal meaning.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Cheese omelette
With pepper!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:54 PM

Fixed tracktimes of CD 2, track 80 had 28 seconds, the accurate tracktime is 15 seconds, also some small fixes on tracktimes of both Discs.

Edit: I can not get the info from VGMdb freedb, I believe the problem is indeed the long tracknames. I had to use EAC to get the tracknames properly.

Last edited by Metroid; Sep 17, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 02:50 PM
VGMdb Administrator

There are some serious discrepancies between the newly submitted English tracklist and the current Japanese one. The Japanese one matches the booklet. On the current English tracklist, it looks like the tracks are ordered incorrectly. This might be the issue with the Freedb lookup, if the times are also ordered incorrectly.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:50 AM

You are totally right, the CD2 tracklist box tricked me somehow, tracktimes are right, CD2 tracklist is on an incorrect order, something got wrong somewhere, no idea what was, VGMdb freedb is working right with EAC regardless of the CD2 long tracknames, it is not working with Foobar though, the Foobar problem is indeed long tracknames. I'm sure EAC track character limit is way higher than Foobar.

Sorry for the trouble.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 02:07 PM
VGMdb Staff

What does "Touhou Bunkachou ~ Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red" mean?
Why is it related to this soundtrack?

Last edited by depa; Jan 9, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 02:15 PM

Related? You mean in the "Related Albums" section? Because if so, I've no idea what you're talking about 'cause there are no related albums there...at least on my end.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 02:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

It's under "Products Represented".
Old Jan 9, 2011, 02:36 PM

Oi! Well, even more reason why I didn't catch it. Thing is, I tried to edit that out, but it's not in the "Products" field...

Probably a glitch. Otherwise your guess is as good as mine.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 07:58 AM
VGMdb Staff

There doesn't seem to be any mention of the arcade game 'Vs. Super Mario Bros.' in the scans we have. Can anyone confirm if it should indeed be credited?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
In the liner notes, track 12 is listed as being from Super Mario Bros. but is actually from the Vs. Super Mario Bros. arcade version.
http://themushroomkingdom.net/mania/albums/wpcl233-4
Old Aug 29, 2013, 03:52 AM
VGMdb Staff

Thanks, that makes sense as I don't remember hearing that track before.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 09:59 PM

The English tracklist is not completely a translation is a mix of mistranslation and localization. I fixed some track names. The biggest problem is at the sound effects names, it even has some English slang like "breakin'". It was completely copypasted from the Gamemp3s release.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:34 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I'd probably go with "Arcade Mario Name Entry" for 2.12, 業務用(ゲーム機) is a relatively common term for arcade games and I think "Business-use" is literal to the point of being confusing here (maybe "Business-Owned" or "Business-Operated" would be clearer in that vein). Anything but "Worker" though.

Last edited by CHz; Sep 5, 2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 08:33 PM

I picked up a copy of this up a few weeks ago. Am I the only one that failed to notice how small these scores were over the years until they actually got a physical copy? Games like Mario 3 and World don't have a lot of music but hell, they get a lot of mileage out of the tracks that are there.

That said, can anyone give me a hand on the sources on the disc 1 arranges? I'm having a ton of trouble uncovering the source tracks on these because of the jazz style.

1 ~ 5 - Mario World?

6 ~ 7 - Mario 1?

8 ~ 11 - Mario 3?

Am I in the ball park here or am I way off?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 04:24 AM

Exactly right, except #11 is the ending music from the original.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Exactly right, except #11 is the ending music from the original.
Which is also in SMB3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
Am I the only one that failed to notice how small these scores were over the years until they actually got a physical copy?
Does this CD loop the music, though? After looking at the track lengths, I assumed they didn't. But if the scores are shorter than I imagined, then yes, 72 separate tracks shoved into less than 56:42 whilst looping is really short.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi QuestMaster View Post
Does this CD loop the music, though? After looking at the track lengths, I assumed they didn't. But if the scores are shorter than I imagined, then yes, 72 separate tracks shoved into less than 56:42 whilst looping is really short.
From what I noticed the longer stage themes like those in SMW and SMB3 don't loop, but the shorter pieces like the SMW map themes (a key area that influenced me to buy this in the first place) do since they are so short.

That said, the stage themes not looping isn't much of kill-joy IMO, as long as the track gets over the minute/minute and a half mark I'm golden.

Additionally, thanks for conformation on the sources.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 08:04 PM

I've been digging into this one recently, but I'm a little lost on some of the source tracks for the arranges on disc 1. Here's what I can decipher on my own:

01) Welcome to Mario World / (?) Guessing SMW title theme?
02) Super Mario World / SMW Athletic
03) Morning of Yoshi's Island / SMW Overworld
04) Mario! Stay Alert! / SMW Underground, SMW Ghost Mansion
05) Thank You, Mario! / SMW Ending
06) Super Mario Bros. / SMB1 Overworld, SMB1 Underground (underworld segment is very small)
07) Shining Coral / SMB1 Swimming
08) Go! Go! Raccoon Mario / SMW3 Overworld
09) Mario Club Band / SMW3 Athletic
10) Peaceful Mushroom-World / (?) Can't place this one at all
11) Good Night, Mario / SMB1, SMB3 Ending

Can anyone give me any idea of what I'm missing?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 08:12 PM

10 Sounds like the second ending to SMB3 where the worlds are shown:

https://youtu.be/GfSnxG738iI?t=54
Old Jun 2, 2019, 01:22 AM

01 is indeed the SMW title theme.

Also SMW reuses the same melody in a lot of places, so 03 could just as easily be SMW Overworld as it could be SMW Athletic or SMW Underwater. Given the arrangement's slow nature, I think it fits Underwater best, but all of these tracks take a lot of liberties with the originals so who knows which one they were trying to do here. 02 on the other hand can only be SMW Overworld because it contains this part which the other two songs don't have.

Last edited by Aifread; Jun 2, 2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:00 AM

Here's the liner notes from this album.

ゲーム音楽という新しいジャンルは、まだ誕生したばかりの幼児かも知れません。しかし今やレコード店にゲー ム音楽も標が置かれる程に成長してまいりました。このまま順調に育っていけば近い将来には、映画音楽と同を 並べる様になるごとでしょう。そのためにはこの世界にもクオリティの高い音楽が次々に登場することが大切だ と思います。RPGの代表がドラゴンクエストだとすれば何といってもアクションゲームの王者はスーパーマリ オのシリーズです。スーパーマリオワールドがスーパーファミコンソフトの第一弾として発売されたのを機に、 「スーパーマリオシリーズで最高のレコードを作りたい」と云う僕の願いが、ここに叶えられたと思います。何 といっても僕が永年敬愛する音楽家、渡辺貞夫さんが快く引き受けて下さったことが、この成功に結び付いたわ けです。彼の音楽性の素晴しさはここで何を言うよりも、このアルバムを聴いて下さればお判り載ける筈です。 スーパーマリオの音の世界と渡辺貞夫の音楽、一見全くかけ離れて見える二つの世界を見事に融合させてくれた 、野力奏一さんのアレンジのカも見がせません。「ゲーム音楽の最高のクオリティを目指す」この願いに協力し て下さった皆さんに心から感謝しています。さあ、このオシャレなアルバムを心から楽しんで下さい。

すぎやまこういち

僕自身、ゲームやゲームミュージックに関して正直ほとんど知識はなかったのですが、アメリカの友人のミュー ジシャン達から海外でのスーパー・マリオの異常な人気ぶりはよく聞いていました。そんなときに、すぎやまこ ういち氏から「子供から大人まで、家族みんなで楽しめるマリオの楽しいアルバムを作りたい」というお話があ り、またスーパー・マリオの音楽を作曲している任天堂の近藤君が、僕の音楽に影響を受けて一連のマリオの作 曲をしたということも聞き、アルバムのブロデュースを引き受けました。いつものライブ仲間でもある野力奏一 君が素晴らしいアレンジを全編にわたって協力してくれたことで、僕自身も楽しく制作することができました。 家族みなさんで楽しんで聴いていただけたら幸いです。

渡辺貞夫
Old Apr 27, 2023, 03:15 PM

(2.34) 魔王クッパ is translated as "King Bowser" in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. [source: https://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_SSBU...Mario_Bros._3]

(2.57) おばけ屋敷 (2.57) is translated to "Haunted House" in the Super Mario World's game manual. For reference, in-game they use オバケやしき for "Ghost House".
(Japanese manual, page 23: http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Wiki/..._-_Digital.pdf)
(English manual, page 20: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manu...LV-P-SAAAE.pdf)
(Other: https://www.mariowiki.com/Ghost_House)

(2.61) In-game the bonus levels are referred to as "Bonus Game", but I don't know Japanese to know if that would be applicable.

If (2.58) お城 is translated to "Castle", shouldn't (2.67) お城クリア ファンファーレ be translated to "Castle Clear Fanfare"?