VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 1, 2008, 02:44 AM

Info comes from here:
http://www.suruga-ya.jp/database/220010676001.html

I believe that the label should be Alfa Records though (judging from the catalog number and this page http://www.mryt.com/disco/ymo1978.html)

Man, are there a lot of reprints of this album orz. There seems to be a strange bug that won't allow me to change the "Tracks 1-5 are on side A, while tracks 6-10 are on side B." part in the notes for the CD releases of this album. It's probably the same sort of thing I encountered earlier when changing composer/arranger info, so I guess it'll work itself out somehow.

Oh, and I think this was discussed before, but it would be nice if there was an option to make slight changes to tracklists in Child Albums when they're present. I've added them in the notes for now.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 03:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

A couple of things:

- You don't need to repeat the Notes from the parent album, as each child automatically displays the parent's notes after it's own notes. It looks like in some of the later reprints, you've got the notes pasted in several times, so that there's a whole stack of them.

- You can make modifications to the tracklist of reprints by submitting a new tracklist for the reprint. When you do, you'll see a message at the top of the tracklist submission screen that warns you that you are about to override the parent's tracklist.

I like how this album sets the new record for number of reprints.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 03:50 AM

I see. I just tried to fix the tape release to see how this works, and understand now. The problem though, is that the parent album's notes contain info that isn't relevant to some of the reprints (what tracks are on what side of the LP). I guess the only way to fix the issue is to either leave that bit of info out altogether or to seperate the tape and CDs from the parent album. Which would you prefer?

And yeah, the number of reprints really is staggering on this thing. I've got a feeling there might be even more. For one thing, there's also the YMO LP BOX, which I haven't entered in the database yet. That would bring the total to 12(!).
Old Apr 1, 2008, 03:58 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by .59 View Post
The problem though, is that the parent album's notes contain info that isn't relevant to some of the reprints (what tracks are on what side of the LP). I guess the only way to fix the issue is to either leave that bit of info out altogether or to seperate the tape and CDs from the parent album. Which would you prefer?
Hm. I think a logical way to go about this problem is to have a notes field which is universal to the album and all its children, and a separate field for notes which are specific to that release only. How's that sound?

(Using this system, the general notes field for child albums will not be editable -- only the release-specific field will be. This will also simplify the logic for displaying notes for a child album somewhat.)
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:00 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't have any other way around that right now. Luckilly, most of the parent's notes should be relevant to all the reprinted albums. For the remainder, what I'd do is say something like "On the original LP release, Tracks 1-5 are on side A, while tracks 6-10 are on side B."

EDIT - That's a possibility too, though I worry a little about the complexity of the interface, where suddenly every album submitter is faced with two notes fields now, instead of one.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:10 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'll go with your suggestion then, Secret Squirrel.

Edit: Everything should be fixed now

Last edited by .59; Apr 1, 2008 at 04:23 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:01 AM
VGMdb Staff

Perhaps we could just have the contents of the notes field be fully editable again? After all this would merely mean some additional copy->pasting when adding a child album (though, potentially quite a bit of it if one edits an album with several child albums already in the database). A better solution would be if the contents, while automatically passing over from parent to child, were still fully editable.

Though SS's solution works pretty well it would look neater, I think, if each separate entry only had information which pertained to that specific entry.