VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:35 AM

Based on what I heard at the actual film last night, this could be a pretty good record. Hard to tell just how good any of it is outside of the context of an action film, but a couple of notes of interest:

The instrumental version of "Somnus" was used in a recreated FFvXIII scene.

"FINAL FANTASY" was used in full about halfway through the film as well.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 06:26 PM

Thank you for posting! It is GREATLY appreciated, CrackerG.
The score for Kingsglaive itself is said to be “Shimomura meets Hollywood.”...based on what you've heard....is this true? I also heard that Shimomura’s beautiful theme is expanded into a beautiful movie score by John Graham, is this true, as well, sir?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Blazer View Post
The score for Kingsglaive itself is said to be “Shimomura meets Hollywood.”...based on what you've heard....is this true?
Hmm... Honestly, not really, from what I remember. I'm admittedly not the biggest Shimomura fan (though I still appreciate her work! she's got some great stuff) and I can tell almost immediately when something is hers or in this case, in the vein of her style. It could take repeated listens for some of that to come out of the woodwork, but I'd liken it more to Uematsu's work on Advent Children. Very obviously scored for a film with pretty strong, if not standard orchestration with the occasional rock flourishes or rock/electric tracks in action sequences.

Quote:
I also heard that Shimomura’s beautiful theme is expanded into a beautiful movie score by John Graham, is this true, as well, sir?
If the theme you're talking about is Somnus, I didn't catch any expansion or building off of that, no. It's entirely possible that there are arrangements of Omnis Lacrima, Veiled in Black or otherwise on the score, but I didn't pick up on them and in the case of Omnis, I think I'd have been able to tell because that one is so very obviously Shimomura. That said, I think I might have left before the credits finished rolling and Square works tend to reprise or feature key tracks there, so maybe there was something to be heard that I missed. Time will only tell!

Either way, it sounded pretty solid. Film soundtracks for action/VGM flicks are bit harder to gauge for me because they tend to be a bit grandiose, but I think people will like it.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 07:39 PM

Thank you ever soo much for the response, it is greatly appreciated, sir!!! I love me some Grand Music!! XD
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:07 PM

Additional credits from the staff roll

THEMES & SONGS

"Prologue"

Written by Yoko Shimomura
Performed by Eri Unoki, Kaoru Kubota
Arranged by Yoshitaka Suzuki
Orchestrated by John Graham, J. Eric Schmidt
Recording Engineer: Minoru Tanaka (Shangri-La Inc.)
Assistant Engineer: Yuta Tateishi (Shangri-La Inc.)

"LUNA"

Strings Performed by Eis Masters Orchestra
Orchestrated by Sachiko Miyano (Shangri-La Inc.)
Contractor: Tsutomu Satomi (Shangri-La Inc.)
Recording Engineer: Toru Okitsu (Shangri-La Inc.)
Assistant Engineer: Maho Shiozaki (Birdie House)

"Calling for Rain (feat. Neo Liu)"

Written by Hiroo Nakano & Koyo Sonae
Performed by Neo Liu, Tu Hua Bing, Hiroo Nakano

"NYX"

Performed by Maiko Horisawa
Orchestrated by John Graham
Old Mar 29, 2019, 04:10 PM
VGMdb Advisor

My personal scans are up. Darker the background, the more dust and smudge you see. Ugh... I really, really need to invest in a new scanner, and one that lets me easily remove the pane to clean both sides.