VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 20, 2008, 08:57 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Every English tracklist for this album I've ever seen gives track 2 as "Forgotten Wings ~Wings That Don't Reach~," like RPGFan and SEMO. Wings That Don't Reach is the track off the OST that's arranged.

However, every Japanese tracklist gives "Forgotten Wings~忘れられた翼~," where the Japanese text also translates to "Forgotten Wings." Examples are here, here, here, and the drammatica tracklist. So, I changed it.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 04:24 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I wonder if the official tracklist is actually:

Battlissimo (バトル曲アレンジメドレー)
Forgotten Wings ~忘れられた翼~ (中世編フィールドアレンジ)

since two of those sites give the extra parenthetical info.

Aside from that, I'm never quite sure what to do when the tracklist provides a translation for itself, because it becomes redundant. Sometimes I go for Forgotten Wings ~Wasurerareta Tsubasa~ which serves as an indicator that the original tracklist wasn't doubling up for any specific purpose, aside from translating the English that their customer might not be familiar with.

And that reminds me, we have a ton of Dragon Quest soundtracks where there are English and Japanese trackname kind of like this, but we've been using just the English ones for ages. The problem with nearly all of them is that the English and Japanese don't match up on a lot of them.

So yeah, there's a lot to think about.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:36 AM

Not that it counts for much, but I'd go for something like the full track name (dual language as in the examples above) and then a translated version in italics or similar afterwards, or on a separate page. That way you still retain the true written versions of the track names but still give people something they can say too

Just a thought, and I guess it would be a lot of work!