VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 4, 2013, 03:25 AM

There's a slip-up regarding the "distributed by" credit...
Old Oct 4, 2013, 03:49 AM

Fixed. With that release date, it can't have Bandcamp as a distributor anyway. Plus, this being a single track release, it really shouldn't be on the database.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashiec View Post
Fixed. With that release date, it can't have Bandcamp as a distributor anyway.
Well, it's being distributed by Bandcamp, so... The date it's probably when it was made/conceptualized. I don't see any problems with it if that's what the artist chooses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashiec View Post
Plus, this being a single track release, it really shouldn't be on the database.
I only added it due to the "prolific artist" rule. Given the circumstance, I was expecting to receive notice by Secret Squirrel, or any other staffer for that matter, regarding it, but it was approved (by Secret Squirrel), so I concluded the entry was eligible for the purposes of the database. Past one-track entries, as far as I've seen, have been for explicit, one-off fanmade releases.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 413/0 View Post
Well, it's being distributed by Bandcamp, so... The date it's probably when it was made/conceptualized. I don't see any problems with it if that's what the artist chooses.
I know, but it's just the rules. The release date should reflect the date a specific release was made available to the public. It's like MusicBrainz has different release dates for old albums that were originally released in vinyl and cassettes and later made available on CDs, despite the music being exactly the same. Maybe the Bandcamp release is a "reprint" of the same track he made available years ago, or he just chose the date in which he finished working on it, like RushJet1 did with his Mega 9.5 album.

Not that I'm the more suitable one to ask about this, though, as it's something I only learned about a few days ago . I ran into the same issue with some albums, and I was told to contact the author and ask for the actual release date, not the one that he chose. Which is important anyway, as it's additional information for the album that we can add in the notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 413/0 View Post
I only added it due to the "prolific artist" rule. Given the circumstance, I was expecting to receive notice by Secret Squirrel, or any other staffer for that matter, regarding it, but it was approved (by Secret Squirrel), so I concluded the entry was eligible for the purposes of the database. Past one-track entries, as far as I've seen, have been for explicit, one-off fanmade releases.
Ah, didn't know about that specific rule. Plus if SS approved it, I won't challenge his approval
Old Oct 4, 2013, 06:19 AM

Okay, I've emailed Graeme.

Also, I edited the "classification" to arrangement, as I kept it as original soundtrack.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:09 AM

Response received!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme via e-mail
Hi there.

Thanks for the email.

I can see the confusion

I originally made it in December 2000, and the Human Race track was May 2001.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Graeme
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:52 AM
VGMdb Staff

The release date here is the one that reflects when the music was made available to the public for buying/downloading.

An example - CD may had been released in 1995 and digital iTunes "reprint" came in 2010. iTunes may still list the release date of the CD (as I've seen few times), nevermind the fact iTunes didn't exist back then. If we choose to make an iTunes specific entry, we'll certainly use 2010 as the release.

So, if you want to keep this entry Bandcamp specific, you should find out at least the year when this was added there. Wayback Machine has a snapshot from 2012 so that's a start - if no more info can be gathered (while still leaving this as Bandcamp specific release), we can use 2012 as the release year.

Last edited by Efendija; Oct 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM.