VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 23, 2017, 05:52 AM

I think they are just crediting also the composers of the original songs that are covered in the game music, all under the "Music" tag.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 06:33 AM

Maybe, but it's really strange (at least from Nintendo) and confusing. I hope this is an isolated case they don't start screwing sound credits this way from now on...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 09:04 AM
Trusted Editor

I'm 99% certain they are only credited due to them being the original composers of the DLC music. Does the battle mode include new music?

Last edited by dissident93; Apr 23, 2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 03:28 PM

Yep, as I mentioned Battle Stadium and Lunar Colony are the only new songs. The retro tracks are remixes from other games (although GC Luigi's Mansion uses music from DS Luigi's Mansion actually, and Wuhu Town uses the Wii Sports Resort main theme; only the SNES Battle Course plays music that appeared in the original map).

Sweet Sweet Kingdom uses the music of Sweet Sweet Canyon and Dragon Palace from Dragon Driftway, only both slightly arranged. Urchin Underpass uses a remix from the Splattack theme from Splatoon. Dunno if there is more new music but that's pretty much what I could get.

Probably it's indeed true that they are only credited for original compositions, but why in the in-game staff roll instead of a separate soundtrack release? And why only them if there are more "featured" composers (Manaka Kataoka and others)? This seems honestly too weird for me.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:17 PM

I dont know,this new track surely sounds like totaka to me.
https://twitter.com/samred/status/854945218822520832
Old Aug 3, 2020, 04:39 AM

The "music" credits in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe does not necessarily mean "composition" but could be for some of the new arrangements.
Crediting Hayazaki, Minegishi, Totaka and Kondo for their re-used compisitions but not Manaka Kataoka, Shinobu Nagata or Mahito Yokota who are still working at Nintendo makes absolutely no sense. And crediting featured composers was never made before for the Mario Kart series.
And actually, Totaka's case is pretty clear : he did not compose any of the original game and DLC songs, so he must be credited under the music section for having composed and/or arranged some of the new music featured in the Deluxe version.
And Minegishi, Totaka and Kondo not having composed any music for the past games in the series does not mean anything. For example, Minegishi didn't made any music for the Super Mario series up to 2013, but that did not stop him from composing for 3D World.
I think that all of the new credited composers for MK8DX did make new compositions and/or new arrangements and that they kind of were "guest" composers/arrangers.

(Also, asking help from all four of them makes sense : Hayazaki was NSMB's and MKWii's main composer, Minegishi is Splatoon's main composer and has participated to 3D World, Totaka was Luigi's Mansion's main composer and Kondo was the main composer for the Super Mario series so they all have some connection to the Mario universe)

So I think we should not credit them as featured composers on Deluxe's page since this is pure speculation based on absolutely nothing. They should be credited as composers.