VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:54 PM

It appears that this album contains the same music that you get from the Special Soundtrack, but without the bonus disc.
http://store.jp.square-enix.com/cate..._10547_50.html
Old Mar 22, 2016, 02:49 PM

Those tracks are recycled from Star Ocean 3 (and Director's Cut) and Star Ocean 4.

Disc 1: Welcome to the Darkness, Hour of Judgment, Momentary Reprieve, Good Morning, Miss Vineyard.

Disc 2: BrassWings, Take off From Home, The Outbreak of War, Arrhythmia, The Desolte Smell of Earth, Roles to Play, Calm Mind Reflected in the Pupil, Powerbroker, Lakes and Marshes with Doubt, Silk Road in the Sky II.

Disc 3: Wild Fight, No End in Sight, Event Horizon, Shotgun Formation, Tears in the Sun Make a Rainbow, The Divine Spirit of Language, Walking on Air, Imperial Garden.

Disc 4: Cosmic Voyagers (Peace & Love Mix), Influence of Truth Appearance, Seeker, Confidence in the Domination (Band Recording), Do Evil.

And maybe Incarnation of Devil and Mission to the Deep Space.

So 72 themes, 27-29 recycled, around 43-45 new themes.

PS. Pre-order open.

Last edited by Eriksharp; Mar 23, 2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 04:19 AM

Sakuraba's comment:
"This title, I was desiring it so much that composing the soundtrack was very very fun.
In this soundtrack, is not just new music, there are songs from previous works.
Those who played the previous games will enjoy it and remember some scenes.
On the new songs, I've made band style music with live instruments. The live instruments I used were Drum, bass, Hammond Organ, part of Guitar, Violin, Viola...
For the Orchestral style music I used Violin and Viola when was possible.
At the beginning I was worried about the balance of mixing previous games' songs and new songs but they doesn't differ so much, you can distinguish from where is every song but I think it's ok.
You can enjoy diverse era of Star Ocean, If you enjoy the soundtrack I will be happy."

If there is any english mistake, please tell me :P

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChNRMiuWUAAyEX4.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChNRQIfW0AEhon8.jpg:large
Old Apr 25, 2023, 01:47 AM

Here the complete list of reused tracks from previous games Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

Welcome to the Darkness
Hour of Judgement
Momentary Reprieve
Good Morning, Miss Vineyard
Flabbergasted
Brass Wings (Another Version)
Take Off From Home
Over the Planet
The Outbreak of War
Arrhythmia
The Desolte Smell of Earth
Roles to Play
Calm Mind Reflected in the Pupil
Powerbroker
Lakes and Marshes With Doubt
Silk Road in the Sky II
Wild Fight, No End in Sight
Event Horizon
Shotgun Formation
Tears in the Sun Make a Rainbow
The Divine Spirit of Language
Walking on Air
Fallen Leaves (Flute Version)
Imperial Garden
Cosmic Voyagers (Peace & Love Mix)
Influence of Truth Appearance
Seeker
Don't Be a Hero
Confidence in the Domination (Band Recording)
Mission to the Deep Space
Do Evil
The Incarnation of Devil

In my opinion the list should be in the album notes.

Last edited by PhoenixAeon; Apr 25, 2023 at 01:50 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAeon View Post
In my opinion the list should be in the album notes.
I agree.

And thank you so much for compiling the list. At least for me information on reused or rearranged tracks is helpful, because generally I don't want to listen to those tracks if I have the album the tracks originally appeared on (or plan to get that album).
Old Jan 13, 2024, 02:59 AM

The recycled tracks are a bit of a shame, because the original stuff is some of the better Sakuraba work I've heard in awhile. I started down a bit of a Star Ocean rabbit hole (thanks Second Story R!) and still (mostly) find 3 and 4 forgettable. I actually picked up a copy of the game, because of my recent addiction to Face Off (crazy, epic lead violin works for Sakuraba battle themes). Pleasant surprise, worth poking around in.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 06:13 AM

recycled tracks for so4 aren't bad, those from the planet so1 team visits
and the eden tracks aren't bad either (the rest fits the game but skippable if listening to the ost)
Old Jan 13, 2024, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
The recycled tracks are a bit of a shame, because the original stuff is some of the better Sakuraba work I've heard in awhile.
To be honest this isn't the first time I've seen criticism of this. There's a huge book I got a about Japanese RPGs and this is mentioned in there when talking about the game. However, the book says the soundtrack for Wild Arms 2 was a standout and that's the first time I've seen praise for what some consider one of Naruke's more inconsistent outings (I even think that as a fan) so take that with a gain of salt.

The book did praise the Wild Arms XF soundtrack tho and I have to agree with that one.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 01:17 AM

If it was that one by HG101 then they have a history of tone-deaf music takes. They once said Psycho Dream's soundtrack sounds "like it belongs in some kind of cheesy romance movie or a musical." Ah yes, all those rom-com musicals that implemented Steve Reich minimalism!
Old Jan 14, 2024, 04:10 AM

That sounds about right. I think HG101 took a lot of their entries and made them into book form. They did a full rundown on Wild Arms. They attempted a bit of...weird social commentary on WA2, so if you notice that, then yeah, we're talking about the same thing. I actually appreciate that they cover the soundtracks at all, since their focus is the games. Usually the discussion about the music gets glossed over in reviews. Still an amazing website.

FWIW (and being fully aware this is the wrong forum for this comment), WA2's synth hasn't aged well, but a lot of the underlying themes have. I'm okay with paring it down to my favorite 20-25 tracks or so and going with that, compared to the bloated tracklist. If they were to revisit it, ala Code F or Second Story R, I would snag it in a heartbeat. I vaguely remember XF sounding decent, but the music has been completely forgotten to me over time.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 04:35 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Japanes...0-4513d670b6bc

This is the book I'm referring to; I'm not sure if this is by the company/website you're referring to. I usually think books on video games are bad but I thought this one was decent enough as I didn't want to immediately get rid of it after reading it like usual.

I will say (again, I know I'm in the wrong place) but as a fan of WA2 I am pleased that it has gained somewhat of a legacy for it's story and themes these days. Yes, I know the game was outdated back when it came out, got it, but I still loved it. Still, I don't agree with this book in saying WA3 was peak WA. Just, no.