VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:20 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Default 302 066 826 2: Shrek The Third Original Motion Picture Score

Do we really need Shrek movies soundtracks?
It's not (Eastern) Anime & the lisence is not based on a game.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:44 AM
VGMdb Staff

I've seen a number of other albums & artists that are far more secondary while still being kept, if they're submitted good .

Gregson-Williams's discography looks better now

I also think this is a very minimalistic "sample" of western animation OSTs that will not hurt the database while still being connected to some notable artist (at least to MGS franchise) and having good amount of info per entry.

I will not deactivate these albums. If SS thinks it's really, really not good and puts them on the ice, I won't object of course.

...I mean, don't get me wrong, here's this artist for example, only one game title with two non-related original works added to the database without any other notable artists involved. I personally don't have anything against it and think these works albums are very nice addition to the db.
So Gregson-Williams deserves to have just a little more albums in the database, plus these albums aren't 'works' not related to anything; they are very much the future interest of vgmdb - western animation.

Another thing - some artists have very poor discographies because they are related (much) more to western animation, like John Powell who is primarily seen as a composer for western animation films. So when this database stops being Japanese animation exclusive, certain artist pages will have some noticeable benefits, so to speak. But for now, I say again these Gregson-Williams's scores won't do harm to the db.

Last edited by Efendija; Jan 12, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:31 AM
Trusted Editor

@Efendija: You should add Powell's How to Train Your Dragon. Which is just awesome (was even nominated for an Academy Award).
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
@Efendija: You should add Powell's How to Train Your Dragon. Which is just awesome (was even nominated for an Academy Award).
Not that even winning an Oscar is any guarantee of exceptional quality. The Academy voters really don't know music very well. I mean, How to Train Your Dragon is far better than the winner of its year.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:26 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
Not that even winning an Oscar is any guarantee of exceptional quality. The Academy voters really don't know music very well. I mean, How to Train Your Dragon is far better than the winner of its year.
Academy voters usually do get their votes right, as it was on 83rd Academy Awards, The Social Network had the best soundtrack. :P

Also, now that Powell's stuff has been added, can we start add his movie scores, because he's more known of composing stuff for movies, instead of animations.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
Academy voters usually do get their votes right, as it was on 83rd Academy Awards, The Social Network had the best soundtrack. :P
Eh, I didn't hate The Social Network's score the way some film music fans did, but I thought How to Train Your Dragon and Inception (what? me standing up for Zimmer?) did a better job of enhancing their respective movies.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:19 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
Eh, I didn't hate The Social Network's score the way some film music fans did, but I thought How to Train Your Dragon and Inception (what? me standing up for Zimmer?) did a better job of enhancing their respective movies.
Haven't yet actually seen/hear How to Train Your Dragon, really should, being somewhat a small Powell-fan. Prolly should fix that.

But for me TSN score just did work better in the movie and outside, compared to Inception which did work damn nice in the movie, but was sadly bit meh outside.

I wish we could hear reasonings why Academy voted for X instead of Y, would be interesting time to time. But that's enough of offtopic I guess :P
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:53 AM
VGMdb Staff

I did add it and hidden it right away, and yes, the score is freakin' awesome.
On a second thought, I will unhide it now and see how the heads roll LMAO
there it is XD

Last edited by Efendija; Jan 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:58 AM
Trusted Editor

...and added to collection!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:50 PM
VGMdb Staff

^ Powell has a lot more animation scores to add: Antz, Ice Age/Happy Feet/Kung Fu Panda movies, Chicken Run, El Dorado...
He scores no games or anime so he's problematic at the moment and I don't know if his live-action movie scores will be welcomed unlike say, Joe Hisaishi who has all kinds of albums added here (which is ok by me).
I've added four Shrek OSTs because Gregson-Williams, but How to Train Your Dragon has only Powell so...
I probably mustn't add more stuff 'cause even this is wtf to some... (considering the current limitation to eastern animation)

Last edited by Efendija; Jan 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:19 PM

are there no "western" sites having info for "western" animated stuff music releases?

if I ask, that's because I had in mind that vgmdb was mainly destined to people who can't or don't want to search for japanese anime/game/etc. and would prefer "readable" info
same remark for digital releases or anything "readable" (i.e. n/a, europe, etc.)
it's just for cataloguing?

(note that it's just something I'm wondering)