VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:19 PM

Do aliases need to be added so VGCD-0087 appears under his discography? Looks like he's credited as both Tanaka Hirokazu Extra and Tanaka Hirokazu in the booklet.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:59 PM
VGMdb Administrator

On the back scan, at the bottom copyright credits, his name is written "Hirokazu Tanaka" so I guess an alias entry isn't warranted, rather "Tanaka Hirokazu Extra" and "Tanaka Hirokazu" should be linked to the original entry #363.

I'll switch that Tanaka Hirokazu entry to someone else.

(Edit: done)
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:10 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Someone on Wikipedia (where else) thinks that Hirokazu Tanaka is "non-notable":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...irokazu_Tanaka

(excuse me while I facepalm)
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:34 PM

He made two arrangements (Super Mario Land & Metroid credits) tributed to Hiroshi Yamauchi: https://soundcloud.com/hip_tanaka Dang the production is so good. Imagine if he were still composing for video games today. :-O Maybe I should check out his Pokemon works. Anyone have any experience listening to those?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 01:46 PM
Trusted Editor

When did he do work for Pokemon? (musically)

BTW he still does sound work. he did some chiptune thing a few years back at a live event, I believe.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 02:31 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Tanaka writes a lot of vocal pieces for the anime series and films. (Haven't listened to them, so I can't help. Sorry!)
Old Sep 22, 2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strugglepoo View Post
Maybe I should check out his Pokemon works. Anyone have any experience listening to those?
They sound exactly as one might imagine Tanaka doing J-Pop would sound...whether that's appealing or not I'll leave up to you.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 06:04 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Tanaka writes a lot of vocal pieces for the anime series and films. (Haven't listened to them, so I can't help. Sorry!)
wow, didn't know this. any of the more popular/well known songs his?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident93 View Post
When did he do work for Pokemon? (musically)

BTW he still does sound work. he did some chiptune thing a few years back at a live event, I believe.
You have a lot of catching up to do. ^^

He was essentially fired from Nintendo for composing for the first Pokemon anime as Nintendo has some rule that employees may not work for external companies or something. He then joined Creatures (originally Ape, the Mother 1 & 2/Earthbound developer by Itoi) which is involved with Pokemon till this day. He still regularly does the OP/EDs for Pokemon animes as well as chiptune live music. http://www.hirokazutanaka.com/information.html

Very cool dude especially considering his age.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datschge View Post
He was essentially fired from Nintendo for composing for the first Pokemon anime as Nintendo has some rule that employees may not work for external companies or something.
That explains a lot actually... I always wondered why Nintendo/HAL composers were seeming nonentities and notoriously difficult to trace online.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 03:31 PM

However, it may be a blessing that he did get fired from Nintendo. They were having him do supervisory work rather than composition. It's too bad he hasn't been more active since his leaving, but had he stayed he may have ended up doing even less.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 04:36 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
That explains a lot actually... I always wondered why Nintendo/HAL composers were seeming nonentities and notoriously difficult to trace online.
I think they have a rule about social media too, because you can't find any of them online (maybe a few former guys)
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:20 PM

Jenkies--I wasn't aware that he was actually fired for composing for Pokémon. I thought he was given a choice between Nintendo or the TV anime, and elected for the latter.

I agree with _if--I would feel rather tortured if Mr Tanaka enjoyed nothing more than a supervisory role at Nintendo, even despite his somewhat sparse output, these days. I think that is because the Mario games that I grew up with were the Game Boy ones--chiefly Super Mario Land. Mr Tanaka's level 1 theme for that game is, in a strange way, what I consider the Super Mario theme; I don't necessarily think of Mr Kondo's work, for I never knew it in earnest until my adolescence. I think Mr Tanaka means a lot to me as a composer for that fact, for I recall very fondly my childhood experiences with Mario, much more than those collated with my adolescence.

Shed a tear or two at the Super Mario Land Yamauchi tribute. It was a bit of music that somehow always made me feel a bit lachrymose...but in this context and in that arrangement, it moved me further still.

Last edited by Uppa; Sep 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 02:48 PM

I think his Super Mario Land soundtrack seems like someone trying to capture the appropriate Mario sound that Kondo defined, but not quite reaching it. Catchy tunes, but not really true Mario. But I can hardly blame him; he was the first to compose for Super Mario after Kondo. Then he nailed it with Dr. Mario's "Fever", and the rest of the music ain't bad either (and Kazumi Totaka did a really good job with Super Mario Land 2. It's a shame that guy hasn't gotten to write more Mario music, because he seems uniquely suited to it).
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:53 AM
VGMdb Staff

Tanaka's tribute to Satoru Iwata: https://soundcloud.com/hip_tanaka/de...o-satoru-iwata

RIP
Old Nov 13, 2017, 03:18 AM

Tanaka is releasing on November 15 "Django", his first full independent album with 13 tracks. Here is a digest on his Soundcloud.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 06:59 AM
VGMdb Staff

Well that came out of nowhere. I added it here: http://vgmdb.net/album/72871

Would be pretty cool if he released a VGM arrange/remix album at some point. His SoundCloud tracks are awesome.

Last edited by cal; Nov 13, 2017 at 07:02 AM.