VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 25, 2018, 09:12 AM

it'll make work for vgmdb users easier if all booklets were blank ahah
or asking a company "could you send me via email all credits, I'm too lazy to copy from the booklet ;p"

(don't know if it's even ok to copy info from booklets)
Old May 25, 2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
it'll make work for vgmdb users easier if all "could you send me via email all credits, I'm too lazy to copy from the booklet ;p"
Then, Nintendo would say:
"All including music are authored by Nintendo, and that is all."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
(don't know if it's even ok to copy info from booklets)
It is ok, but unfortunately it doesn't mean they are correct/accurate aesthetically, creatively and even sometime legally... And that often makes research very difficult indeed.
Old May 25, 2018, 09:38 AM
Trusted Editor

This, coincidentally, is why we need a speculative credit. There’s value in determining who did what but ultimately, even if directly confirmed, it is still speculative. But that’s a discussion for another thread so let’s not derail this one any further
Old May 26, 2018, 05:19 AM

Hi.
I have added the following...

<Possible>
Legend of Legaia
The Legend of Dragoon
Tales of series (mostly)

https://vgmdb.net/forums/showpost.ph...1&postcount=16
Old May 26, 2018, 01:06 PM

Will PayPal be an option once one of the projects starts?
Old May 26, 2018, 04:49 PM

Dear FPI

At this point, the company is considering to use Kickstarter for a crowd-funding. As far as I am aware (and correct me if I am wrong), they have different acceptable pledge methods for different countries, and depending on locations you live, Paypal might not be an acceptable method for Kickstarter platform.

But I am sure VGM Classics would be able to setup Paypal pre-order staff or something like that for people who only have Paypal as a method of pledge. But in that case, s/he might not be able to involve an initial go-or-no-go stage of funding. So, there would be a delay between initial Kickstarter and Paypal stage.
Old May 27, 2018, 07:28 PM

Hi Kentaro,

Out of curiosity: for the FFIV album, is getting a license to include the FFIV Minimum Album tracks possible, or is that a no-go?

If it is possible: do you think there's any chance they could get selected for inclusion? Or are they too niche for most audiences?
Old May 27, 2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrolack View Post
Hi Kentaro,

Out of curiosity: for the FFIV album, is getting a license to include the FFIV Minimum Album tracks possible, or is that a no-go?

If it is possible: do you think there's any chance they could get selected for inclusion? Or are they too niche for most audiences?
Dear Rrolack

There are things we could and we may not do.
Getting licenses of the pieces from the album is possible actually, and VGM Classics had done the research already.
However, like you wrote, it might be difficult for those pieces to be included since there are other pieces to be considered.
But at this point, that would be all I could say...
Old May 27, 2018, 10:17 PM

Thanks a lot for this project and for the research. I'd like to mention these FFIV themes in particular:

-"Sorrow and Loss"
-"Golbez, Clad in Darkness"
-"A Long Way to Go"
-"The Final Battle"

"Sorrow and Loss" is an arrangement of the main theme though. Golbez's theme could perhaps feature a real pipe organ if it's chosen for the album. "Mystic Mysidia", "Damcyan Castle" and "Another Moon", along with others I would have said, have already been mentioned.

For something newer, could orchestral arrangements for the Japan-only DS game Soma Bringer (https://vgmdb.net/album/7032), or the Wii game The Last Story (https://vgmdb.net/album/22773) be possible by any chance?
Old May 28, 2018, 03:02 AM

Dear Argl

Thank you for the suggestions. )

We certainly could consider video games which had only JPN region release.
In face, Japanese gamers suggested "Seikendensetsu 1/2/3" with 3 being JPN-only release, "Romancing SaGa 1/2/3" with 2 and 3 being JPN-only.
With that stated, I have listed "Soma Bringer" and "The Last Story" under "possible" category.

Since VGM Classics is an American company, we might put priorities on games released internationally. But again, if there is a need for it, and funding is met, why not.
But as a company, VGM Classics' founding goal was to bring music from games in 1990s and early 2000s to an orchestral realm. So, at least we probably start from there (at least initially), and we see a lot of possible game titles already!!!
Old May 28, 2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentaro Sato View Post
Japanese gamers suggested "Seikendensetsu 1/2/3" with 3 being JPN-only release, "Romancing SaGa 1/2/3" with 2 and 3 being JPN-only.
for sd3, there are mandatory tracks to make:
- Whiz Kid could be interesting with symphonic orchestration
these ones could be "ethnical/tribal"-like
- Raven
- Damn Damn Drum with real big drums (taiko)
- Swivel
as for:
- Sacrifice Part One (ahah, let's break some glasses ;p)

Quote:
Since VGM Classics is an American company, we might put priorities on games released internationally.
it's maybe a bit restrictive because of that, I guess american company would be wider than a japanese company
perso I only play in japanese, so naturally I prefer using jp names and speaking of jp games
localized games have no interest for me (esp when it's badly translated or rarely translated)
Old May 28, 2018, 04:11 AM

Romancing Saga 2 has been released internationally recently, for what it's woth.
Old May 28, 2018, 04:46 AM

Dear Phonograph

Ultimately, it will come down to whether titles attract enough funding or not. The things about international release are more on the side of practical reasons than anything. The company just doesn't know whether this whole concept is plausible or not until we start the crowd-funding, though of course we hope it is. So, naturally, they went for titles which they thought would be a good choice (FF4). But at this point, we are more likely to present multiple possibility at once, and see which one (ones) got funding or not.

Personally, I am fine with Japan release only games, given a fact that I played most of the JRPG titles and more in NE, SNE, PS1, SegaSaturn era...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraEpon View Post
Romancing Saga 2 has been released internationally recently, for what it's woth.
Dear TerraEpon
Really? I did not know that!

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; May 28, 2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old May 28, 2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
...I played most of the JRPG titles and more in NE, SNE, PS1, SegaSaturn era...
I only played SFC (some US sfc and as I'm french FR sfc with badly translated games)
then PS1/PSP mainly japanese (some US games and 1 french FFVII who vaccined me to re-play a french game)
I played some games on other consoles but it's too unsignificant to be mentioned

Quote:
...Really? I did not know that!
romancing saga 2 "CUTE-2D" remake on psv got localized
unlike seiken UGLY-3D remakes that are visual abominations

note that there is still no info about roma saga 3 remake since it has been announced
I really hope CUTE-2D and by pity as a rs3 fan not UGLY-3D
Old May 28, 2018, 05:18 AM

Haha.

It should have been easy for SQEX to do the Seikendensetsu2 for 2D since they have done so for smartphone app...

And, I did not know about RomaSaga 3 remake either!
I just google-searched about RomaSaga3. Though it got delayed, they seems to be still working on it. And I assume they will not go 3D.
Old May 28, 2018, 05:37 AM

I think the delay is due to the fact sony seems to have stopped ps vita consoles (and games?)
sony is probably working on a ngp3 aka ps <insert ridiculous name here> (like a rumored ps5)

so SQEX maybe stopped or whatever because of that, roma saga 3 could be out on the "expected" psp3/psv2/whatever

honestly, when I saw sd1 in UGLY-3D, I expected sd2 too and sd3 will come too
seiken in 3D is a sacrilege, all seiken shinjuu should give a good hiding to the seiken blasphemers =)
Old May 28, 2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Ultimately, it will come down to whether titles attract enough funding or not. The things about international release are more on the side of practical reasons than anything. The company just doesn't know whether this whole concept is plausible or not until we start the crowd-funding, though of course we hope it is. So, naturally, they went for titles which they thought would be a good choice (FF4). But at this point, we are more likely to present multiple possibility at once, and see which one (ones) got funding or not.

Personally, I am fine with Japan release only games, given a fact that I played most of the JRPG titles and more in NE, SNE, PS1, SegaSaturn era...
Isn't it also possible to raise a kickstarter for the label itself and make FFIV the first stretch goal/first project?

If the label, say, has all the possible rights secured and/or even got some of the original composers/artists involved and presents all sort of possible titles on their kickstarter page with FFIV, wouldn't that work better to figure out if the idea itself can work than individual titles?

If then more money than expected could be raised, enough for a second or even third project, wouldn't it be easier to set them up as stretch goals? Later down the line, albums could be kickstarted based on what the company and yourself think would work/deserves best if funding was enough.

I can only say based on the success of Turrican, and how many people were willing to pay large sums for vinyl/bookletart and whatnot and how many showed up for Amiga/Nintendo/Square Enix game music in the concert hall here in Germany, that there should be a market for it.

Last edited by VIN; May 28, 2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old May 28, 2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinphonic View Post
Isn't it also possible to raise a kickstarter for the label itself and make FFIV the first stretch goal/first project?
Dear Vinphonic

Thank you for your suggestions! But I don't think that would be possible at Kickstarter, including stretching the projects in a sense you described. And even though it was possible, I personally think the company should not go that direction for some legal concerns.
It makes things easy for the company to keep a project simple, clear, and manageable. A single-title (with the series in mind) approach does just that. I hope you understand. But we will always fix our course if there is a better way!

Now, unfortunately, involvements of the "credited" original composers and visual artists is something VGM Classics has to avoid or may not be able to do for most of the cases. VGM Classics have already had, or will be able to obtain the recording/arrangement licenses for a lot of game titles because VGMC kept this issue out in negotiations with the copyright holders, representatives, governmental institutions and/or what have you, for legal protections of makers, credited people and VGMC.

As an industry insider, I have to say that not all people currently working at game makers are happy about the credited composers/artists using the company products and names for their freelance gains. Some companies openly refuse to give any detailed individual credits to begin with. They have legal reasons why they have to do it, and VGM Classics will honor and comply whatever the conditions the copyright owners or whoever have permissions to give licenses would give to VGMC for a possible recording project.
Old May 29, 2018, 04:17 AM

No problem, it was just a suggestion/question afterall

A shame about the other points you made but I guess there is so much legal obligations going on behind the scenes oblivious to most people. Maybe that's the reason Merregnon Studios (The company of Thomas Böcker) couldn't get the original artists for their classical game arrangement albums involved despite having Nobuo Uematsu on board.

I guess they could do that for Turrican because there was nothing legal or artistically interfering in the way.

Not to mention the worries about "ghostwriting" and taking credit for personal gain. Sometimes you kind of know it when a composer has a distinctive style and voice yet the credits say it was done by someone else, "I could have sworn that was X but its Y". If that was because of a simple booklet error or indeed done by someone else uncredited, when such things come to light its always a bit disheartening.

Last edited by VIN; May 29, 2018 at 04:30 AM.
Old May 29, 2018, 03:57 PM

Just a thought I had about this project: I think going only for the big popular titles that have already been orchestrated a lot might not be the best way of going about this project. FFIV has massive appeal for sure, but people may not be willing to back it if they're already satisfied with 20020220, Distant Worlds, Symphonic Fantasies, Symphonic Odysseys, FF Orchestral Album, etc. As timeless as the FFIV OST is, there is a level of saturation here. And as Vinphonic keeps bringing up, the Turrican orchestrations got an overwhelming amount of support for a relatively unknown series. Of course Turrican isn't that "out there" since a lot of folks from a certain generation seem to have fond memories of it, but it's a far cry from the big players at Nintendo or Square. I think that should be your niche. Obviously don't go for projects so obscure that no one but the most dedicated VGM fans will know what they are, but try and find stuff through asking around here and other community forums that strike that balance of reverence and novelty. And of course there are plenty of bigger titles that haven't gotten the orchestral treatment either.

Also, since I don't think anyone's suggested it yet: the Shadow Hearts series. It's an eclectic OST, but I think there's a lot that would work for orchestra.

Last edited by Aifread; May 29, 2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old May 29, 2018, 04:33 PM
Trusted Editor

I think that everyone should focus on listing things they would like to hear (as originally requested) and leave the copyright, fundraising, viability and/or production to Mr. Sato and his company. I think we're starting to veer a bit off-topic in terms of his original request. Let them handle the logistics, we shouldn't be worrying about that all that much.
Old May 29, 2018, 06:26 PM

Thank you, dancey.
Yes, let VGM Classics take care. Although there are staffs the company may not be able to do, it was created in a way to serve VGM fans, after all.

Last edited by Kentaro Sato; May 24, 2021 at 11:19 PM.
Old May 29, 2018, 08:41 PM

Hi, Mr. Sato! It seems that other regular members here have done a great job of advising you on Final Fantasy IV and you agree with them, so anything I'd say would probably be redundant on that front. I look forward to the album if game music fans like us are the people you're aiming to appeal to, rather than taking a crowd-pleasing approach.

I appreciate your diligence in looking into the possibility of all these games that have been suggested and your openness. If I could make a request, something I would love to hear, although it may be a real challenge to orchestrate (or even transcribe!), is Alien Soldier. It's not a super well-known game, but maybe it has enough cult appeal to attract enough of crowdfunding support. Since you said you'd like to make dreams come true, one of my game music dreams is an orchestral Alien Soldier album arranged in the style of the anime Death Note's orchestral music by Yoshihisa Hirano. Here are a few examples of its music to see if you can imagine music like this being orchestrated. There are some pieces that would more obviously lend themselves to an orchestra, but I wouldn't want you to get the wrong idea about what the majority of it sounds like.

RUNNER/AD2025
FROM OBJECTOR
3-PRAYERS

Regardless, I'm optimistic about your projects, the label, and that I'll be a repeat backer and customer of your endeavors!
Old May 30, 2018, 07:01 AM

Not sure if my opinion is worth anything but here are the items that interest me:

Quote:
At this particular point, here are the candidates for the initial fundraising:
5) Project "Vandal Hearts series" starting from VH1
6) Project "Quintet series" starting from Soul Blazer, including Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia (if possbile), and ActRaiser 1/2 in mind for future.
In particular, I am fond of Vandal Hearts I, Terranigma「天地創造」, and Illusion of Gaia「ガイア幻想紀」.

Quote:
<These titles would be also possible>
Lufia 1, 2
Treasure of the Rudras
Xenogears
Xenosaga 1

<Need to do homework>
Alundra
Elemental Gearbolt
I don't mind which tracks are chosen, as long as we are given the opportunity to experience the forgotten classics again.

If I could make one more suggestion: Yasunori Shiono's「塩生康範」Energy Breaker「エナジーブレイカー」.

And if I can make another suggestion! Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand 「イースV 失われた砂の都ケフィン」which could also be considered a forgotten classic, by Ys standards.

Last edited by layzee; May 30, 2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old May 30, 2018, 07:35 AM

speaking of Ys (series I don't care tbh --I only played Ys V)
I wonder about some legend of heroes series, my concern would be kiseki series
Teioh's concern could be gagharv trilogy (loh 3-5) I think he said he liked music

a track in particular from loh6 sora no kiseki sc "The Merciless Savior"
but I don't know how sora tracks could sound symphonically(?)

perso, my fav kiseki series is loh7 (zero in particular, but not really ao)
sen no kiseki 1-2 being older, it could be possible
but for sen 3 and sen 4 (out on 9.27) I guess it could not be possible (or exceptional permission, but I doubt)

Last edited by Phonograph; May 30, 2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old May 30, 2018, 02:48 PM

I think all the people who have shared their ideas in this thread are very knowledgeable about this niche music genre of ours and the even more niche realm of VGM orchestral/symphonic arrangement albums.

I'm sure that we all want that VGMC have success in their endeavour to establish a commercially viable model to give birth to many of the projects that are already listed as "possible". So, before getting carried away about what projects or what pieces we'd would like to see performed in orchestral fashion, I'd like to discuss what are the best ways to make this venture a perdurable one.

As Aifread has mentioned before, it's likely that for a franchise as musically covered as Final Fantasy there is little room for bringing anything new to the table. Although FFIV is far from being the most covered title of the series in the various orchestral FF albums, its music has received some attention before in form of orchestral/celtic/piano arrangements. In this case, or any other case that involves FF arrangements of the main series, if you want to attract casual and serious fans of vgm I'd put emphasis on the "how" as much as on the "what".

I mean, some have said that certain pieces ("Theme of Love", "Battle with the Four Fiends") should be avoided because its overarranged status. I understand why they think so, but in my mind it's not a problem if a famous piece gets arranged in this project or only the overlooked ones, the real question is how you want to tell story of FFIV. It's a good thing that you know well enough the plot of FFIV, that's the first thing to do for adapting a title in symphonic form, then come the matters regarding structure, orchestration and the like. In short, what I'm trying to say is that if a piece/motif is essential to tell the story of FFIV there are a lot ways of including it in and that still sounds fresh and exciting (reharmonization or similar techniques).

But, even more important for this project or any future project is that the arranger (Mr. Kentaro Sato) take some creative risks. Obviously, an arranger can stretch the work of another musician to a certain point without stripping completely its identity and that's why is always better to contact the original composer in the first place for projects like these. That would be the ideal approach because this way the arranger could take advice and make its own rendition of the original material more in line with the vision of its creator.

Anyway, whatever route you decide to take in this VGMC venture, be ambitious and offer mature arrangements. There is so much potential in vgm orchestral music...
Old May 31, 2018, 02:48 PM

Dear _if
"Alien Soldier" is now under "possible" category!

Dear layzee
"Alundra 1, 2" "Energy Breaker" are now under "possible" category!
"Ys" as a series, most of the titles are under "possible" category

Dear phonograph
"英雄伝説 or the Legend of Heroes" as a series, most of the titles are under "possible" category!

I have updated the list accordingly

Dear isdapi
Thank you. VGMC strongly feels that I should play the games VGMC would feature for a recording project. I feel the same way, and fortunately I have played most of the games in the list And I, personally, do have very large collections of games and their soundtracks (This goes the same to Japanimation of 90s). I had never believed those become handy one day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdapi View Post
... and that's why is always better to contact the original composer in the first place for projects like these. That would be the ideal approach because this way the arranger could take advice and make its own rendition of the original material more in line with the vision of its creator.
Aesthetically we should, and therefore VGMC would take this direction, if we were permitted. I wrote the reason here and there, but if VGMC did not go this route, I hope you understand the company had legal reasons why not to, or may not to. It's complicated, and that is the only way VGMC is able to obtain licenses from authors and rights holders. Since this is OT, I will stop here, but the company will write Q&A on this related issue since this is very important.
Old May 31, 2018, 03:40 PM

Is it too late to add another one to the list? This is an odd one, one that will NEVER happen (even more with the.. well, fame this trilogy has..) but The Legend of Spyro trilogy by Rebbeca Kneubuhl and Gabriel Mann have some REALLY interesting super epic orchestra tracks. The orchestra is synth but the voices are live, I think. And it's amazing. It'd sound lovely live, it's just like out of some sort of fantasy "demonic"? opera. It'll never happen but adding to the suggestions is free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxAcwSqdP2M
Old May 31, 2018, 04:11 PM

NEVER ever?

Well, try some Rogue Squadron (I,II,III) by Chris Huelsbeck, from the N64 to the Gamecube, the non-John Williams parts anyway.

Rogue Squadron 1
Rogue Squadron 2
Rogue Squadron 3

The collection for the Wii that was cancelled had a live orchestra, and the Skywalker Symphony no less, the only piece that made it out was for a promotional trailer: Rogue Squadron Wii

A terrible shame it got cancelled and the score will never see the light of day (The original company wants to port it to Switch but I doubt it will happen). The only compensation would be a Rogue Squadron orchestra album.

I imagine it's impossible but as Turrican demonstrated, if you give any of Huelsbeck's game work to a full symphony orchestra, it just works so well: East Meets West Concert

Since he worked together with Yuzo Koshiro its not too far out as far as suggestions go

Last edited by VIN; May 31, 2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:02 AM

Dear Vinphonic

"Rogue Squadron 1, 2, 3" is under "need to research" category.

Now, the series was developed by a German and an American companies, and that makes research difficult because VGMC does not have German and/or European copyright specialists. If you want to help us, it would be great if you let us know whether the original soundtrack CDs (or iTunes etc) have been released officially or not in the US (or in Germany or anywhere in the world)...

As for the music from any unreleased game titles, VGMC will not be able to touch them. A rule thumb is if the author/copyright owner (this is not about "composer") has decided not to release their materials to the public (regardless of their medium films/games/tv etc), then there is NO WAY for others to record or to perform.

By the way, VGMC does have a Japanese government-licensed intellectual property specialist on board, and the company has a very good relationship with an individual who serves as an expert witness on music copyright in the US.