VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 7, 2020, 11:03 PM
Trusted Editor

Default Unreleased OST's

This is especially rather painful if the OST's in question are really good, and I wonder why there are still so many unreleased ones even past the year 2000. It's a thing in both Japan and the West, especially bad in the West though because BGM's for material like cartoons aren't valued much at all.
However, why don't anime studios bundle it in one of their expensive blu-ray sets for anime series that have those, or at least put it up for download on one of their sites? There's almost no excuse not to release an OST at this point in time as long as people will be there to buy it if they like it.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 01:14 AM

That´s true, but it is far more better situation than with "western territorials".
Almost 60% of anime series will get soundtrack CD release as standalone release or enclosure or you get both in span of 2-3 years (I am talking about you greedy aniplex).
And situation when you still can buy proper CD release in this digital and LP music age is almost unbelievable. Thank you Japan.

It would have surprisingly something common with money
IMHO anime studios are glad that they have enough money for their staff, voice actors etc. and even for releasing the series. Releasing music isn´t always that important.
And maybe composer is against releasing it ... lot of speculation here.

Would be nice to know how are rules for releasing anime soundtrack CD if it is mentioned in composer contract or in something else.

On Japan TV drama side NTV & TBS TV dramas almost always get soundtrack CD releases for their series, but they are mostly connected to two music agencies - Miracle Bus & One Music.
Maybe they have deal...who knows?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 04:25 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
That´s true, but it is far more better situation than with "western territorials".
Almost 60% of anime series will get soundtrack CD release as standalone release or enclosure or you get both in span of 2-3 years (I am talking about you greedy aniplex).
And situation when you still can buy proper CD release in this digital and LP music age is almost unbelievable. Thank you Japan.
That is true, the West tends to look down on non-film/game OST's even more than Japan does, no matter how good it may be.

Quote:
It would have surprisingly something common with money
IMHO anime studios are glad that they have enough money for their staff, voice actors etc. and even for releasing the series. Releasing music isn´t always that important.
And maybe composer is against releasing it ... lot of speculation here.
I wish it was though. And the cost of making the CD's was mentioned in some places, but how much does it cost just to have them as digital files, or special bonuses if they aren't released?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:21 PM

I just finished Keijo and it's such a shame the soundtrack for that never came out.
Keiichi Oku talking about this here: https://twitter.com/k1oku/status/1209265580781342720

Last edited by ladatree; Mar 30, 2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 03:34 AM

KINGDOM HEARTS III lol. Wtf is Square Enix waiting that long... maybe we'll get a full box set including soundtracks of the still upcoming new games in ... 2028 ? Seriously ...

Super Mario Sunshine is also a good candidate, I'm still hoping for a switch remake and a proper soundtrack release.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:38 AM

On the subject of animation, there are a few that I really want to see get releases:

Beast Machines is probably my single most-wanted animated show without a release. Gargoyles is a close second.

I've managed to obtain unreleased music from ReBoot and GI Joe The Movie, but not official releases that I'd prefer. Since I no longer visit any place where I would get unofficial music, if Beast Machines or Gargoyles showed up, I'd miss them at this point.

I'm also disappointed with recent releases that were vinyl only, like Transformers. If I recall correctly, there was also a TMNT release that was vinyl only. But there are a host of others that have come, frustratingly, only to vinyl. Or Limited Run ...