VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:42 PM
Trusted Editor

Default Scitron and registry cards

I know this topic may be a little strange, but I'd like to post it nonetheless The question is: is there any distinct trait of the registry to tell if it is from the right release? The only one I found is the date presented in the lower part of the registry, which is almost 2 years later than the printing date, but that's not distinct enough. It also seems, as several types of registry cards were produced and added over several releases without changing the card itself Is there anything else to tell the right release from the registry card?

Last edited by suicider; Mar 23, 2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:43 PM

Not sure I understood correctly, but if you mean "what is the best way to know if a registration card belongs to a certain album", then I can tell you that some Scitron albums have "unique" reg cards with the catalog number printed on them, while others have more general reg cards where I couldn't find anything that could relate them to the album.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 02:39 AM
Trusted Editor

Yup, you understood me right. To make it explicit: I have the Darius OST (PCCB-00093) with a blue text registry card with a date at the bottom of March 1995. As the Soundtrack was released 1992, I'm pretty unsure, if this is the correct registry. All other inserts are also included (booklet, sticker, obi), which is mostly a sign of completeness. But I can't be 100% sure
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:16 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
some Scitron albums have "unique" reg cards with the catalog number printed on them, while others have more general reg cards where I couldn't find anything that could relate them to the album.
Yes exactly; I made some research and I discover these things which I summerise:

- Scitron reg. cards with the "unique" cat.no. printed have the code "102" on the top.
The last album with the code "102" I've seen after research on the net should be the PCCB-00123.

- Scitron reg. cards without the cat.no. printed have the code "150".
The first album that comes with the code "150" I've seen is the number PCCB-00134

Suicider your album so has the "102" code on the reg. card but I don't know where the date came from. All my "102" reg. cards don't have a date printed. Can you put a shot?
I've also made further research about these "102" card and I discover that three kind of these exist:

- one type with BLACK ink without any squares around the code "102"
- one type with BLUE ink without any squares around the code "102". It's the same of the first type but on the back it misses the word "Cassette" on the second line printed.
- one type with BLUE ink with squares around the code "102" with two additional squares near. It's totally different on the back.
Also the first two type may have or not the "GSM 1500 series" word printed (depends from the album), while the third type may have also the name of the album printed.
Here'a comparative between the three types:

As you can see there's no date printed, so I'm curious to see the reg.card you tell about.

I discover also that some early Scitron albums come with one or another type of "102"reg.card: my CAPCOM GSM4 album has the first type (Black ink), but this one on ebay has the third type (Blue with squares).

Why this? Maybe the explanation can be find on different stock pressed in the past.
Also Obis have these strangeness, especially looking colour like below:

Mine is also different from these two, it's totally light orange (like the middle portion of the Obi of the second snap)

Last edited by depa; Mar 24, 2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:54 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
This looks like discoloration resulting from sunlight. Probably only the middle part has faced direct sunlight, but you can also see that part of the left part of the obi has 'yellow stains' as well.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:30 AM

But was the center part exactly of the same colour in principle? The auction picture seems to have a lighter but still much darker than yellow colour in the middle. I'm pretty sure it's decoloration indeed, but does that never affect blacks? I have a few spines and obis decoloured and the blacks don't seem to care really.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 08:43 AM
Trusted Editor

depa: thanks for your detailed answer. My Darius registry has number 150 with the squares, so I guess it's the wrong registry Concerning PCCB-00056: my copy also has the black printing, so I guess the one on ebay has also the wrong registry.

@LuxKiller65: the original spine is completely orange, also the middle part
Old Mar 25, 2010, 06:16 AM
VGMdb Staff

mmm, probably the first obi posted have discoloration problem but look this one, it seems all three portion have a different orange tonality, so I'm not sure about discoloration due to sunlight

This one is my Obi light orange that should be perfect:
Old Jul 4, 2010, 06:23 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
As you can see there's no date printed, so I'm curious to see the reg.card you tell about.
Sorry for the late answer, but I meant the date in lower region of the registry card (guess it's the closing date for sending the registry card in), which gives a very rough indication about the release it belongs to.