VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:10 PM

I remember seeing somewhere that Mick Gordon said that parts of track 14 "Harbinger" reference Chris Vrenna's DOOM 3 theme.
Should Vrenna be listed as a composer?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 01:09 AM

I'm thinking probably not unless the soundtrack mentions a credit for Vrenna. Might be worth putting in the notes section, however.

Musical references are kind of a tricky thing. A track from the Transformers: The Movie soundtrack by Vince DiCola has a reference to Weird Al's "Dare to Be Stupid" (playing right around that time in the film) but none of the soundtracks give Yankovic credit.

I'm happy to hear part of the DOOM 3 theme is in there, though. I wasn't sure if it was just me imagining things.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 01:37 AM
VGMdb Staff

I've heard that the music of DOOM 3 is used elsewhere in the soundtrack too - something that does not surprise me given how Gordon went about things when composing for Killer Instinct. We'd need something more concrete in this instance before assigning a credit I feel - Mick Gordon is a pretty active communicator so it's something we may well get information on in due course.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 11:47 PM

By the way, if a credit for the DOOM 3 theme were to be given, it would have to be to Chris Vrenna & Clint Walsh (who was also a member of Vrenna's band, tweaker at the time).
Old Oct 29, 2017, 05:02 PM

Confirmation for "Harbinger" referencing DOOM 3's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2YG8DX0ees (no mention of Clint Walsh though).

Additionally, "Rust, Dust & Guts" and "Transistor Fist" also contain elements from Bobby Prince's music, but I'm not too familiar with the original DOOM's soundtrack to pick them out (YouTube comments say "Transistor Fist" uses "Kitchen Ace (And Taking Names)").
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bed8NPkVHRQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMmTrCnCMfI
Old Jul 22, 2018, 07:57 PM

It's possible Gordon neglected to credit Walsh for "DOOM 3 Theme". Data entries for the vinyl single on VGMdb and Discogs both credit Walsh as co-writer.

https://vgmdb.net/album/12550
https://www.discogs.com/Chris-Vrenna...release/591668

Before DOOM 3 came out, the news was that tweaker was doing the title track; for the game itself, Chris Vrenna and Clint Walsh were credited, rather than using the band name.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 09:41 PM

Digging a little deeper, it seems as if Vrenna hadn't even written the track but is credited as producer, while Walsh is the sole composer. I'm not 100% this is the case and I'm more comfortable with citing Vrenna and Walsh as composers, but it confirms Walsh at the very least co-wrote the song.

Here are the in-game credits from DOOM 3: BFG Edition on 360 (screencap taken with my Xbox One):

Which is backed up by the booklet from my original PC copy of the game:

An old IGN interview seems to confirm they're co-writers.

Last edited by KriztofferSwank; Jul 23, 2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 01:19 AM
VGMdb Staff

I think we go with the IGN interview here rather than the game's credits. In that interview there are two very specific questions about the writing of the piece giving Vrenna ample opportunity to correct the interviewer's assertion that the piece was a collaboration between the two. If it was a sole composition by Clint Walsh, you would have thought he would have mentioned that in his answers.

Last edited by Jimby; Jul 24, 2018 at 01:25 AM.