VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 15, 2021, 09:16 AM

Default Album Ratings not displaying correctly within Stats box on album pages

Not sure exactly how long this has been an issue but I noticed it fairly recently.

Any ideas what's wrong? I've tested with several browsers and all of them have this issue.

Note: you are still shown your own rating of a given album but no statistical information apart from that.

(As an aside, I tried to attach a screenshot to this post several times but valid PNG + JPG files failed to upload. However you should easily be able to verify this yourselves)
Old May 15, 2021, 09:45 AM
VGMdb Staff

It's intended.

https://vgmdb.net/forums/showpost.ph...&postcount=106
Old May 15, 2021, 12:32 PM

Ah ok. Thanks for the info.

Doesn't really make much sense to me if I'm honest. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has always found those public collective stats quite interesting and useful, so a little sad to see them removed.

As for what's available on the overall Statistics page, I don't think it's quite accurate to imply that the most viewed = most popular.
Old May 15, 2021, 01:42 PM

Sorry but this is a really dumb move, what was the reasoning for this change? You link to issue #245 which literally tells nothing...

If anything this site could use a more fleshed out rating system, track by track breakdown maybe, a written review section.
Old May 15, 2021, 07:54 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
Sorry but this is a really dumb move, what was the reasoning for this change? You link to issue #245 which literally tells nothing...

If anything this site could use a more fleshed out rating system, track by track breakdown maybe, a written review section.
Rating system is woefully underused and when it is used it's completely arbitrary. This is the best solution that isn't just flat out removing the ratings altogether.
Old May 15, 2021, 08:10 PM

Then flesh it out more, and it was nice seeing them because when someone also rated something highly that maybe you really liked as well, it allowed you to also see their other ratings for other things, which could lead to similar tastes in finding things you might not have heard before.

Was it using up to much hard-drive space? To much bandwidth? Server maintenance? All doubtful. So literally no reason to remove it, even if it was "woefully" underused... because a few people did use it.
Old May 15, 2021, 08:31 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
Then flesh it out more, and it was nice seeing them because when someone also rated something highly that maybe you really liked as well, it allowed you to also see their other ratings for other things, which could lead to similar tastes in finding things you might not have heard before.

Was it using up to much hard-drive space? To much bandwidth? Server maintenance? All doubtful. So literally no reason to remove it, even if it was "woefully" underused... because a few people did use it.
You have the option to see them if you turn the preference on. That is about as much support as you'll likely get for it but if you have any ideas you can always submit a git ticket.
Old May 16, 2021, 05:00 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
You have the option to see them if you turn the preference on.
Excellent! thanks for the advice Dancey
Old May 16, 2021, 06:05 AM
VGMdb Administrator

We ultimately decided to remove the public display of rating because it was a poor measure of album's quality. It works okay for albums once they accumulate enough voters, but the majority of albums will never have more than a few.

Moreover, we saw evidence that a bunch of accounts where created just to mass-upvote or mass-downvote all the albums of certain composers. That behavior is abusive, and while we should respond by deleting accounts, it just underscores how this feature isn't living up to its true intentions after 13-years in service, and probably never can.

We had already removed the rating amalgamation from artist pages, because it was subject to those same limitations. An artist may be rated 1.5 stars simply because they only have a rating on one album, and it was downvoted because someone doesn't like one of the other composers. Artists do visit VGMdb, and I don't think they should be insulted undeservedly.

You can still see your own album ratings because we know that people use them to keep track of their own impression of albums they've heard. We also kept the combined rating for those who really want to see it, but it must be enabled in the options. The general public who aren't logged in won't see any ratings.
Old May 16, 2021, 06:59 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't really care about ratings but I think non-obvious change reasons should be put upfront, in the git issues or forums. I guess they are walled under some discord now.
Old May 16, 2021, 10:49 AM

Fully appreciate the transparency, thank you SS (and everyone else)