VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 11, 2015, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
*sigh* I wouldn't give music like that a second glance usually, but hopefully the full soundtrack has more variety and will fit well in the game (which looks stunning) then I can eat my words.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student41269 View Post
*sigh* I wouldn't give music like that a second glance usually, but hopefully the full soundtrack has more variety and will fit well in the game (which looks stunning) then I can eat my words.
We have one month before the OST releases and weeks before the game releases. We'll soon see.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 02:28 AM

... ... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. .. . . . .

Last edited by Guitarist500; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 07:34 PM

You know, for the 'Attack on Titan' Original Soundtrack, you could at least try to argue that the track names had meaning as pictographs, or, well, something hidden behind the symbols. For this OST though, man, some of these look like he just mashed the keyboard. I don't really think I can extrapolate much meaning from "z5m20i12r04a28."
Old Apr 27, 2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustDontKnowAnymore View Post
You know, for the 'Attack on Titan' Original Soundtrack, you could at least try to argue that the track names had meaning as pictographs, or, well, something hidden behind the symbols. For this OST though, man, some of these look like he just mashed the keyboard. I don't really think I can extrapolate much meaning from "z5m20i12r04a28."
It starts out with z5. Then, if you remove the numbers, the letters spell 'mira'. The remaining numbers then tell the date that this track was recorded (20120428 = April 28, 2012).
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilliongalactica42 View Post
It starts out with z5. Then, if you remove the numbers, the letters spell 'mira'. The remaining numbers then tell the date that this track was recorded (20120428 = April 28, 2012).
The name "mira" makes sense now that you mention it, but the recording date seems a little far-fetched to be accurate here.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 02:27 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
The name "mira" makes sense now that you mention it, but the recording date seems a little far-fetched to be accurate here.
He did the same thing with attack on titan: http://vgmdb.net/album/40757
Old Apr 28, 2015, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
He did the same thing with attack on titan: http://vgmdb.net/album/40757
Well then, I guess I'm just way too out of the loop. Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 03:49 AM

Quote:
He had mentioned on his blog a while back that most the music had been recorded back in 2012.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:52 PM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, he spent the first half of 2012 composing the music. Right after he finished Guilty Crown.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:21 AM

Shows how far in the past game music can have been made due to the long development times.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:25 AM

Uploaded scans. Kind of wish they would stop with the only white pages. Makes it a pain in the ass to scan and makes it easier to mix up the pages.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:30 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for the scans leatherhead
Old May 26, 2015, 08:16 PM

If ya don't like the album sell it to me please.
Old May 29, 2015, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Ahahahahaha oh man, now a huge wave of video game music fans are going to be introduced to the hilarious majesty of Hiroyuki Sawano song titles. This is going to be fantastic.
I can appreciate eccentricity but won't know how endearing the song titles are until I've heard the music. Waiting to do so in-game for the full effect.

In the meantime, for a game that is by all accounts larger than Xenoblade, how on Earth did we go from five composers down to one?

Retro Gamer's Top 100 Games of All Time voting now open!
http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/...e-voting-open/
Old May 29, 2015, 12:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxattax View Post
In the meantime, for a game that is by all accounts larger than Xenoblade, how on Earth did we go from five composers down to one?
Sawano comments in the liner notes the original offer was for event music only. But since it was his first game score, he wanted to take responsability and do all tracks.
Though I don't know if there are more people involved in the final game (staff roll?).
Old May 30, 2015, 12:33 AM

That's respectable. Still, and I don't know if I'm trying to rub salt in my wounds before they've been formed here, but... Do we know what other composers may have originally been slated for Chronicles X?

Old May 30, 2015, 02:41 AM

Music is co-produced and directed by Yasushi Horiguchi. There is also a Jingle Writer (Takafumi Wada) and a Score Copy (Shoji Kobayashi) credit. https://youtu.be/bD0GUWqoEuo?t=802
Old May 30, 2015, 03:41 AM

Quote:
That's respectable. Still, and I don't know if I'm trying to rub salt in my wounds before they've been formed here, but... Do we know what other composers may have originally been slated for Chronicles X?
Tetsuya Takahashi, inexplicably, really likes Sawano and was going to ask him from the beginning to do at least some music. I still consider Takahashi my favorite game director, but I'd rather someone else inside Monolith Soft make the music decisions from now on.
Old May 30, 2015, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Tetsuya Takahashi, inexplicably, really likes Sawano and was going to ask him from the beginning to do at least some music. I still consider Takahashi my favorite game director, but I'd rather someone else inside Monolith Soft make the music decisions from now on.
Yeah, I'm afraid I'll find myself in this camp as well. Is Takahashi not the big Mitsuda fan, then? Someone at Monolith Soft is.

I don't need to reiterate how exceptional the Xenoblade OST is (especially if you don't agree). Guess because I was expecting something similar for the "sequel" my first thought was 'budget cut' when I read one composer had the lion's share of it. At least Sawano didn't get the gig by blackmailing Takahashi. ... We can confirm that, right?

Last edited by waxattax; May 30, 2015 at 04:55 AM.
Old May 30, 2015, 05:33 AM

I like this OST, don't get me wrong (except I wish a lot of the vocals had been left out), and I think Sawano is great what he does. But man, what could have been if Monolith had brought ACE+ back for this title!
Old May 30, 2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Is Takahashi not the big Mitsuda fan, then? Someone at Monolith Soft is.
On the contrary. From the Xenogears OST liner notes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuya Takahashi
To be honest, I had never thought that music was that important; that is to say, I had never even been conscious of it. Of course, I had understood that music had a vital role as one element of a work, I would never thought that it could save one to such an extent.

While directing the project, I came to a realization. Something feels wrong. There is something strange about it. There is something wrong with my blueprint.

When I felt like nothing would help, I chanced to hear some of the music that had been completed again. Hm? Whoa! These images are this good? ... I'm getting goosebumps. Somewhere coiled up in a corner of my consciouness my impressions had brightened. And again, I realized that the visuals had lost to the sound, to the music.

One of the people who has supported this project, Xenogears, is Mitsuda. Without Mitsuda's music, I would have fallen far short of the goals I had set, and probably would not have had the energy to keep going.

This soundtrack contains, in condensed form, everything that supported this work and helped elevate it.

The three vocal pieces are particularly spectacular. Paired with the visuals from Square, they are good enough to beat any other work's music hands down. It goes without saying, but I am proud to release this work.
It was no surprise when Takahashi brought Mitsuda on board for Xenosaga Episode 1. When Takahashi was removed from production for Episode 2 by Bamco, Mitsuda was not asked to come back. In 2007 or so, Takahashi was once again in charge of producing and designing a game: this time Soma Bringer. And again he asked for Mitsuda's participation (it also ended up being Mitsuda longest soundtrack!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuya Takahashi (Iwata Asks Interview on Xenoblade)
This title has 'Xeno' in its name and so partly for that reason, I got Mi-chan to work on the music for the epilogue.

...For that all-important final song, Mi-chan was the only man for the job. I've had a lot of opportunities to work with Mi-chan, and I've always felt that the music has played a really redemptive role. That's why I decided to ask him to work on this vital section.

Well, with Mitsuda-kun, for example, he would know what kind of music we were looking for. In fact, I'd even say it was the other way round: that when I requested something, I'd know what kind of music he'd come up with. So in a lot of cases, all I had to do was to communicate the atmosphere we were looking for and leave him to get on with it.
Then, suddenly, Xenoblade had a curious change in music direction. I'm still not entirely sure what went on during the development process. We do know that Takahashi specifically asked Mitsuda to do the ending theme, but whether he ever considered Mitsuda for the whole OST is uncertain. As for Shimomura, he says he chose her to have a different atmosphere--but didn't ask for a full soundtrack from her.

He didn't actually select Kiyota or ACE+; they were recommend to him by Uematsu's Dog Ear Records. Takahashi was in charge of music direction, as he kept in constant communication with them (and was severely critical of their submitted pieces).

Why didn't he ask Shimomura to do the whole OST? Who knows. As for Mitsuda, I would say he was too busy on four DS titles and other projects during Xenoblade's principal development.

Last edited by Jormungand; May 30, 2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old May 30, 2015, 08:04 PM

So Takahashi is a Mitsuda fan. I interpreted your post incorrectly. You no longer want him making OST decisions -specifically- after putting Sawano on Chronicles X. Based upon your statement I assumed someone else must have pursued Mitsuda for previous Xeno games' music. Takahashi being "at fault" didn't make sense to me since you obviously hold Mitsuda in some regard. Got it now. I think. Probably.

Sounds like Takahashi credits Mitsuda for 'gears successful completion. Wow. Though he eventually came around, it blows my mind anyone could dismiss the impact music has on games. Which is exactly why I'm on this thread. This was going to be one of the few games I dedicated time to this year and possibly the only JRPG. I'm concerned I won't enjoy it as much due to its OST and wanted to talk it out a bit.

And thanks for collecting the info here for easy reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
I like this OST, don't get me wrong (except I wish a lot of the vocals had been left out), and I think Sawano is great what he does. But man, what could have been if Monolith had brought ACE+ back for this title!
I also would have liked to see ACE+ make a return as I thoroughly enjoyed their work on Xenoblade's OST. Honestly a little surprised more didn't, but to each his or her own I suppose.

Last edited by waxattax; May 31, 2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 03:09 AM

Allow me to phase phrase this another way:

I'm not finding much to look forward to in the Chronicles X OST by reading the forums on our site. The closest he's had to an advocate is a post by nextday, though a follow-up was tempered by "on-second-thought..." apprehension. Of the threads I've read involving Sawano the focus will shift to imply the superior abilities of other composers. Even in the man's own Discuss section no one is sticking up for him. This is not a good first impression.

The plus side of all this is with my expectations so incredibly low if the songs are even average I just might love them. Some of my favorite albums/bands are those that I absolutely despised first listen (STP's Purple; Rush come to mind). I still need to consider the possibility that this might end up being the first game I play with the sound completely off, listening to other soundtracks instead. Think I'll go with the Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey OST (with all due respect Dag, that was for you).

Last edited by waxattax; Jun 1, 2015 at 03:39 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 04:30 AM

This board seems to be the polar opposite of the Xenoblade X board on GameFAQs, where everyone fanboys and worships Sawano so hard that if you say anything negative about the soundtrack, you're automatically trolling and/or have terrible taste.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 05:35 AM

I don't think any of the previous composers for Monolith Soft would have been able to produce the correct tone that Takahashi wanted for the sci-fi setting of Xenoblade X. Sawano fit that role perfectly. Before, I thought that it wasn't possible for Sawano to do a better job with the soundtrack than ACE+ and the others in the original game. Now that the soundtrack is out, I've been proven wrong. Personally, this is my favorite soundtrack of all time.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 06:18 AM

Maybe it's because I've gotten far too used to Sawano's style, but I don't get this "sci-fi feel" from this soundtrack. Sometimes it sounds like Shingeki, or KLK, or Gundam Unicorn. So, for me, it sounds like everything he has composed up to this point, not with Unicorn alone. I do love some songs, like z15f20i12e09l14d or fiKAIeldJOU, but all of the vocal songs used in battles and such are typical-Sawano, not to mention the other over the top songs like THEMEX and N周L辺A (back in the day, I'd love songs such as these, but nowadays I feel "anesthetized" to them).

That being said, as much as I loved Blade's soundtrack, I wouldn't say the answer is Ace+, Kiyota or even Mitsuda. My "issue" lies with Sawano alone
Old Jun 1, 2015, 02:02 PM

I don't see how it's possible to not like THEMEX. Note that Sawano composed this music before Kill la Kill or Attack on Titan.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post
This board seems to be the polar opposite of the Xenoblade X board on GameFAQs, where everyone fanboys and worships Sawano so hard that if you say anything negative about the soundtrack, you're automatically trolling and/or have terrible taste.
Haha, I was just going to post along those lines. It's actually a bit sickening.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 02:25 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilliongalactica42 View Post
I don't see how it's possible to not like THEMEX. Note that Sawano composed this music before Kill la Kill or Attack on Titan.
It's possible just like how people can have different opinions. And yours is not the only one "right" or anybody else's for that matter. It's just that - an opinion.