VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 14, 2008, 04:16 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Default Redundant artist credits

I would like to know the policy on redundant artist credits. For example, if an artist completely writes an album by himself, should he be credited as both composer and arranger? Also, should he be credited as performer if he plays live instruments and/or sings, lyricist if he writes the lyrics?

On a tangent, I'm wondering if there could eventually be a way to designate between "composer of new material" and "original composer of newly arranged material". I feel it would be very informative, as some artists have their work arranged for new official releases, but aren't directly involved with "composing" for it.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 07:23 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Redundancy is required, since eventually we'll be having track-by-track credits. The interface for managing them will draw the artist information directly from the album credits, so you'll need to make sure all roles are covered.

For your second question, what do you think of using a checkbox in the artist management interface to designate "non-original" credit?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:38 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Redundancy is required, since eventually we'll be having track-by-track credits. The interface for managing them will draw the artist information directly from the album credits, so you'll need to make sure all roles are covered.
OK, that's sounds good to me. I just wanted the official word.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
For your second question, what do you think of using a checkbox in the artist management interface to designate "non-original" credit?
I think that would be perfect, as long as nobody feels it's too intrusive or "anal".
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:25 AM

Actually it may prove useful when performing advanced search queries
Old Apr 24, 2021, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the majestic necrobump but are track-by-track credits still being planned? I can't find any mention of such plans after 2009.

I know it would be hell to implement and to maintain from the database side but with Semantic Web being a thing, I just can't dismiss the ramifications this could have for future academic research and such. You could easily create lists of all pieces composed or arranged by a musician and compare musical styles, collaborations and workloads (e.g. who composed what in a given time frame?). Heck, you could even link arranged music to their original composition(s) in an attempt to avoid credit redundancies and to identify the most prolific pieces in video game history.

Not to add that individual track credits are easier to read than the consolidated credits in album notes.