VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 4, 2010, 07:14 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Does this really contain music from the Sega Saturn, Sony PlayStation versions? This album is from 1995, so the music probably sounds different due to the hardware in each system even though the songs are the same.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 08:49 AM
VGMdb Staff

Generally Playstation/Saturn ports of Capcom arcade games feature arranged soundtrack of the original music (the Street Fighter Alpha/Zero serie is the most famous example) so they are different.
There's also a difference between ports on how music is played:
Playstation plays in the form of XA-Audio while the Saturn version plays in a streaming ADPCM (like the arcade CPS2 hardware), but it's near impossible to recognize differences.
Coming to this soundtrack and considering discriminates above, I'm pretty sure this soundtrack refers to the only arcade soundtrack.
For safety I'll make a check in those hours.

Last edited by depa; Jan 4, 2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 09:38 AM
VGMdb Staff

Check made: I'm surprise, the Saturn port has the same original soundtrack of the arcade counterpart (i don't know the playstation one).
Definitely, this soundtrack represents the arcade (confirmed also by the title which refers to "ARCADE GAME TRACK") and also the Saturn soundtrack although Saturn port was released on november 1996, eight months after this album.
Case closed
Old Jan 4, 2010, 09:43 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Thanks for checking up on that, depa. I guess with Redbook, it's possible to be the same on the PSX.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:06 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Thanks for checking up on that, depa. I guess with Redbook, it's possible to be the same on the PSX.
Yeah the PSX should be the same.
Only for reference making the comparison by picky, the saturn Redbook has a very slight difference in the sound incision/recording; this should be due a different adjustment of the equalizer when it was pressed, but the sound/arrangement is the same.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 03:35 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Does anyone have a scan of how the tracklist looks on the back? I'm not sure I like the replacement of "-" with "—".
Old Jan 4, 2010, 03:49 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Does anyone have a scan of how the tracklist looks on the back? I'm not sure I like the replacement of "-" with "—".
Back cover from Chudah's Corner:
Old Jan 4, 2010, 04:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Ew, Sonmay. Well that's a pretty long dash.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Ew, Sonmay. Well that's a pretty long dash.
They be called em dashes my friend. I'm glad I'm able to add those little, miss-able details; it makes the data feel more complete.

EDIT (02/25): This is where I got the Hideki-specific credits [the sidebar descriptions for both of these claim that these have been verified]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEPah_Mw0yE - Silver Samurai at 4:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnlABf3DhKo - Cyclops and Magneto [Questionable] ---> Liner notes please.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Jun 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:57 PM

Time for another unofficial breakdown:

Takayuki Iwai: Opening Title, Player Select, Mutant Hunting, Winner, Here Comes a New Challenger, Mojo World, Space Port, Continue, Game Over, The Theme of Battle, The Theme of Mojo 1, The Theme of Mojo 2, Staff Roll

Syun Nishigaki: Moon Night, Ice on the Beach, Genosha, Forest, Summer Beach

Hideki Okugawa: Danger Room, Samurai Shrine, Avalon

Isao Abe: Savage Land, On the Blackbird, The Deep, Get Out of Danger, Crossed in Love, Love and Friendship

Takayuki Iwai: Chimes, guitar, "!" jolt sound, synthesizer, cymbal, distorted guitar, drums/bongos/percussion, saxophone, tambourine, piano, low pitch vocorder [Main Theme]
Syun Nishigaki: Tropical instruments
Hideki Okugawa: Jazzy synthsizers/synthesizer guitars, organ, Japanese instruments, drum'n'bass (and above evidence)
Isao Abe: Fluttering flute

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 24, 2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:40 PM

Well, let me see if i can try doing an unofficial breakdown of my own here.

Takayuki Iwai: Colossus, Juggernaut, Cyclops, Spiral, Magneto, Player Select, Continue, Intro, The Theme of Mojo

Syun Nishigaki: Wolverine, Storm, Psylocke, Sentinel, Match End, The Theme of Battle,

Isao Abe: Omega Red, The Theme of Mojo 2(Just a leap of faith, it actually reminds me of Mike Bison's SSFII Ending theme, whoever made that one)

Hideki Okugawa: Silver Samurai, Iceman, Get Out of Danger, Love And Friendship, Crossed In Love, Summer Beach, Forest, Staff Roll

Just my guesses.

Last edited by HarukameiKasumo; Oct 24, 2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:55 PM

Sorry for the double post, but allow me to update my breakdowns. Bold Text shows what has been confirmed, and bold yellow text shows what is obviously the case but has no confirmation to support it. I have excluded some elements from the list because i haven't studied them well enough to be sure, and there is a lot less blind guesses.

Takayuki Iwai: Colossus, Juggernaut, Cyclops, Iceman, Spiral, Magneto, Player Select, Continue, Intro, The Theme of Mojo

Syun Nishigaki: Psylocke, Sentinel, Match End, The Theme of Battle, Theme of Mojo 2

Isao Abe: Wolverine, Storm, Omega Red

Hideki Okugawa: Silver Samurai

Explanations

Takayuki Iwai - Colossus: It bears uncanny resemblance to Marvel Superheroes music(the ones such as Captain America's theme, Spider-Man's theme) to the point of it sounding as though it can be placed in there and fit with even a couple instrument changes, i also notice he tends to give songs a sort of "abrupt intro" if you will. Another reason being that if you listen closely to the guitar riffs in the intro you will notice how similar it is to the opening guitar riff from Zabel's theme from Vampire Hunter: Darkstalkers' Revenge.

Takayki Iwai - Iceman: What can i say? lol, it sounds like something from Vampire: Night Warriors.

Isao Abe - Wolverine, Storm, Omega Red: They all seem to share that same echo effect that abe almost always uses if not completely always, they also share the same rythm guitar, which abe also uses in SFZ1. They also share a few other common instruments as well, and they use that same atmosphere as Guy's and Sagat's theme from SFZ1. Omega REd and Wolverine's theme also both use Instrument blending, a common abe trait, storm's doesn't, but as i said, not all of abe's songs use this. I also notice the melody to storm's theme is similar to that of Dee Jay and T. Hawk's theme, two confirmed abe songs. Omega Red's theme sharing similarities with these is not the only reason for guessing this, but also it starts off similar to Dee Jay's theme, NTM i have grown to be an Abe fan and am pretty familiar with his style, the one song i don't care for from him is sagat's theme as well as any arrangements.

Just a few i wanted to comment on.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 01:53 PM

Hey guys just to let you know, I'm in the process of scanning the packaging of my copy now, including all of the pages of the booklet. I mean I can't read any of the text in it but I'm sure somebody here can so you can pull any information you need out of that. Scans should be up soon, maybe within the next hour or so.

EDIT: Okay I started with the booklet pages because I figured they'd take the most time.. and they did because that was all I had time to do today before work. Submitting them now and the rest of the scans should be coming soon.

Last edited by Max; Mar 22, 2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:20 PM
Trusted Editor

I removed the 16-17 scan, it was a dupe of 14-15.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:37 PM

Yea that was weird, the thumbnails on the Manage Covers page showed the different scans but they ended up as duplicates.. should all be sorted out now.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Yea that was weird, the thumbnails on the Manage Covers page showed the different scans but they ended up as duplicates.. should all be sorted out now.
Thanks for all the effort. Glad to finally know whatever information was in that booklet (such as why the dashes in the track titles were originally small, among other things).

EDIT (03/24): Confirmations from page 17 of the liner notes

ANCHEY TAKAPON (7 tracks): 3 stage themes (Colossus, Spiral and Juggernaut via exclusion below) 2 ending tracks (Spiral's 2 related ending themes) last two are surely Opening Title and Player Select because they are in the same style and represent the main theme
*Here Comes a New Challenger and Staff Roll though not listed, are also surely his (similar to Player Select and Felicia, respectively).
7/25; 9/27

SYUN: Psylocke, Iceman, Sentinel, Continue, Ending (Forest (Psylocke), Summer Beach (Iceman), Winner, Game Over and The Theme of Battle (Continue) also his by extension)
9/25; 9/27

HIDEKI OK: Cyclops, Silver Samurai, Magneto (This is all he appears to have done)
3/25; 3/27

Oyaji: (6 tracks): Wolverine, Storm, Omega Red, Wolverine Ending (Crossed in Love) (other 2 must be Get Out of Danger and Love and Friendship because the former has essentially the same composition as the beginning of Crossed in Love, and Love and Friendship has characteriscs of Crossed in Love and The Deep)
6/25; 6/27

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Mar 26, 2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old May 9, 2011, 06:14 PM

One of the scans for 16-17 seems broken.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 07:03 PM

I have a copy of the PS1 game and here are some notes about the Redbook on it.

- Has everything outside the ending pieces and credits theme. Yes, you do get the "Here Comes A New Challenger" piece, but again, it's a no on the credits theme.

- Character select theme comes in at about 2:00 instead of 0:30 (uh, is it sad that I bought this somewhat becoming rare game just for this? I love this piece.)

- some tracks are longer than they are on the OST, and some are shorter. The ones that are shorter tend to fade before completing the double loop.

- Somewhat of an oddity about the game. If you think, hey, I'll buy a copy of the Japanese version because it's probably more common than the NTSC or PAL versions which are climbing in value, yeah, that's not going to work. The PS1 didn't receive a Japanese version for some reason? Kind of odd.

- The Redbook on the Saturn is a little different. You get everything, INCLUDING the credits theme. All the stage themes come in at 3:31, however, the stage select theme only comes in at 0:56.

Anyway, I have both the soundtrack and the PS1 version for the audio. However, if you don't need the stage select to be longer for erm, "personal reasons," there is no reason to go with the Redbook unless you want the credits theme on the Saturn.