VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 23, 2008, 01:54 PM

Default Alternate releases

I just got the PC version of Comix Zone at a local shop - I bought it just for the soundtrack. I checked out the site's entry and everything is the same, except for the cover art (and the credits, they're incomplete.)

Do I add a new entry? The CD on file has different cover art (mine is just a cardboard sleeve with art) but I don't know if this warrants a new entry, because technically it has a different UPC/ISBN number than the Sega Tunes release.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 02:04 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

If it has a different catalog number and the contents are the same aside from the art, that certainly merits a separate entry. The only question would be whether to associate it as a reprint or not. Offhand I wouldn't, but let's wait to see what other say.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 03:01 PM

It doesn't have a catalog number - it was included as a bonus with the game, after all.

I have no idea if the CD is different, but neither the disc nor the art have "Sega Tunes" written anywhere. The FreeDB entry is the same, though, so the CD is exactly like the Sega Tunes version.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 03:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Yeah, it's the same music, but it's not the same album. In my opinion, this CD deserves to be listed independently.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 05:20 PM
VGMdb Administrator

You can add it as an independent album first. If it's supposed to be a reprint, an admin can link it later.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:12 AM

Album added:

http://vgmdb.net/db/albums.php?id=7142

I'll try to get my scanner set up to add scans for this (and my Fox Hunt Original Soundtrack, too!)

Edit:
Also, are we including the Wii as a platform if the game had a virtual console release? I added it to my entry, but it's not listed in the Sega Tunes release.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:21 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Isn't the virtual console just a way of emulating old games? I wouldn't bother with adding that to the game field. It'd be a little like adding 'PC' for every SNES soundtrack.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 01:38 PM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, I wouldn't add the Wii there. Also, we generally only add the platform(s) on which game was originally released, unless it's a soundtrack for a specific re-release.

Last edited by seanne; Feb 24, 2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
Isn't the virtual console just a way of emulating old games? I wouldn't bother with adding that to the game field. It'd be a little like adding 'PC' for every SNES soundtrack.
Well... considering MobyGames added it as a legitimate release...

http://www.mobygames.com/game/comix-zone

This is why I added the Wii as a platform. I work at Moby so I just went with the flow.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 03:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Yeah, part of the rationale for not adding Wii for games with Virtual Console releases are because the associated platforms should reflect what the soundtrack was for at the time of release. That being said, there's no way a 1996 soundtrack would ever have been released specifically as a soundtrack to a Wii or Game Boy Advance game. In the instance of that Comix Zone disc, it's specifically for the PC version of the game, regardless of what other platforms Comix Zone was released on. There aren't any instances I can really think of for soundtracks being released just because a game was emulated on a new platform. Could be wrong though.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liontamer View Post
Yeah, part of the rationale for not adding Wii for games with Virtual Console releases are because the associated platforms should reflect what the soundtrack was for at the time of release. That being said, there's no way a 1996 soundtrack would ever have been released specifically as a soundtrack to a Wii or Game Boy Advance game. In the instance of that Comix Zone disc, it's specifically for the PC version of the game, regardless of what other platforms Comix Zone was released on. There aren't any instances I can really think of for soundtracks being released just because a game was emulated on a new platform. Could be wrong though.
But this same soundtrack was released for the Genesis version. This is just a semi-reprint included with the PC version, so it should be included in both platforms at the very least.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:13 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I feel a soundtrack should only list the platforms that apply to it at the time of the release of the soundtrack.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
I feel a soundtrack should only list the platforms that apply to it at the time of the release of the soundtrack.
100% agreed. As an example, the entry for the SA2 OST should not have GameCube listed, just Dreamcast. And definitely don't add Wii for every game on the Virtual Console. GameFAQs does that and it's quite annoying.

-Mike