VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:56 PM
VGMdb Staff

Just a note that アルトリア is Arthuria here (it's not Altria for instance). The reason - Fate/Zero's version of king Arthur is a woman.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:50 PM
VGMdb Staff

Official art has it romanized as Artoria.

Scan from May 2012 Newtype:
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:08 AM
VGMdb Staff

Their romanization is kind of a screwed up at times, for instance, 'servant' of Rider class in F/Z, Alexander the Great is "Iskander" (simplification I guess), but when his 'master' (the person who summoned him) Waver Velvet browses the bookstore, we see a book about Alexander, titled correctly. (here is Alex holding the book telling Waver why he isn't asking him directly what he wants to know, instead of reading the book, a bit of lol material...)

Anyway, I see that's official art, though Arthuria is acceptable as an alternate title at least.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:37 AM
VGMdb Staff

Hmm... both names appear to be legit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iskandar
Quote:
Iskandar or Eskandar is the Persian version of the name Alexander, after Alexander the Great.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Artorius_Castus
Quote:
Lucius Artorius Castus was a Roman military commander. A member of the gens Artoria (possibly of Messapic or Etruscan origin), he has been suggested as a potential historical basis for King Arthur.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:17 AM
VGMdb Staff

Well Alex conquered/looted A LOT of the known world at the time (Persia inluded), it's no wonder a Persian version of his name was created after those events.

About Lucius Castus, aka king Arthur's name, that is still a great debate in historical circles, plus, Fate universe Arthur is based purely on legend, without trying to bring him (her) down to historical basis:

Quote:
The origin of the name Arthur remains a matter of debate. Some suggest it is derived from the Roman nomen gentile (family name) Artōrius, of obscure and contested etymology (but possibly of Messapic or Etruscan origin). Some scholars have suggested it is relevant to this debate that the legendary King Arthur's name only appears as Arthur, or Arturus, in early Latin Arthurian texts, never as Artōrius (though it should be noted that Classical Latin Artōrius became Arturius in some Vulgar Latin dialects). However, this may not say anything about the origin of the name Arthur, as Artōrius would regularly become Art(h)ur when borrowed into Welsh.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_arthur#Name
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:25 AM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, I'm only saying that Artoria isn't just some strange romanization.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 08:15 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I was making some searches for this and it seems the official romanizations are Artoria (most used) and Altria (from the Fate/complete material III book), so I've moved the old title to the alt. line.