VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 9, 2008, 04:34 AM

I've been meaning to post this since I joined here but every time I either get sidetracked or completely forget about it...

I'm not sure if anyone is aware or knows about this, but a track was left out from this OST: Melk Ruins. Noriyuki Iwadare decided to host it on his site, which can be found here.

I intended to add this info in the note section but didn't know how to go about it, and if it would be kosher to include the link.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:49 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Perfomers credits information corrected with the help of the game credits.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:24 AM

Idk why, but listening to this soundtrack makes me think that maybe Noriyuki Iwadare was inspired by Motoi Sakuraba's RPG work (as he arranged some of his music in RADIATA Stories the same year). It feels less ... Grandia-like like the earlier works and more simple, improvised and progressive, almost uninspired if I may say. Battle Themes are the best example here, which are way beyond the quality the previous games (especially Xtreme) had. There are a handful of good tracks, but most of the (mostly short) tracks are not very memorable, even annoying ("Baccla", I'm looking at you! Worst desert music ever!)

I know, opinions about his soundtrack divide, but still ... it's missing the certain finesse.

Edit: It would be fascinating to read Mr. Iwadare's track-by-track descriptions in the booklet, if anyone could translate them (but I guess it takes too much time)

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Apr 20, 2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:54 PM

Uninspired is the attribute I have in mind for Radiata Stories (the three arrangements you reference are better but still a downgrade), not sure why you bring in Sakuraba's RPG work as the cause of this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:44 AM

I don't know, but some tracks remind me of Sakuraba's Tales of/Star Ocean soundtracks, which aren't bad, but feature this typical RPG clichéed sound. All previous Grandia soundtracks had unique styles, this typical whimsical Iwadare style, but it's hardly found here, exept for maybe some minor tracks. Wether it's battle, town or character themes, they all lack in some kind of originality and emotion, previous installments had.

The "Raflid" themes for example sounds like a typical Tales of town theme, same as some battle themes, like the final battle theme "GREAT ASSIZE", which reminds me of Sakuraba as well, albeit in a much less developed way. It could be my imagination, but all in all this soundtrack feels "different" than previous entries, even if it's the same composer. And not in a good way...