VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 16, 2008, 01:17 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Default 7244

With Liontamer's submission of The Legend of Zelda EP, VGMdb now has a total of 7244 album pages. This may seem like an odd number to post as a milestone, but it is an important one because the Japanese site JGML, formerly the largest VGM album database on the internet, has 7243 album pages. I've been looking forward to this moment for a long time, so I hope you'll join me in celebrating.

It's also fitting that we've taken the lead exactly 6 months after our public 'beta' launch.

I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed to our effort in one way or another. We'll keep on working here, and I can promise that there's probably enough stuff in the hopper to take us close to 10k by years end.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 01:28 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
This may seem like an odd number to post as a milestone, but it is an important one because the Japanese site JGML, formerly the largest VGM album database on the internet, has 7243 album pages. I've been looking forward to this moment for a long time, so I hope you'll join me in celebrating.
Does JGML list doujin-albums and albums related to game music (Like composer's soloworks or that kind of stuff).

But still, damn good work. And I should add few albums that are missing on this database which are in my collection, but I'm too lazy again.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 01:28 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Awesome. It's nice to help carve of a little piece of interweb history, and certainly always an honor to help the growth of VGMdb.

As a side note, I'm very glad to worked with everyone in reaching this milestone and doing my part in attempting to raise the profile of digital release doujin albums from North America and Europe, all too often overlooked as not being proper albums.

Let's keep going to 10,000.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 01:34 PM
VGMdb Administrator

JGML doesn't do doujins, Western remix albums (or even Western game music in general), or digital releases. We also give seperate pages for different printings, which is something that JGML doesn't tend to do. So yeah, the comparison isn't direct and there's plenty in JGML we don't have here yet, but then again, every database project has had its own rules and focus, so they are all different.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
JGML doesn't do doujins, Western remix albums (or even Western game music in general), or digital releases. We also give seperate pages for different printings, which is something that JGML doesn't end to do. So yeah, the comparison isn't direct and there's plenty in JGML we don't have here yet, but then again, every database project has had it's own rules and focus, so they are all different.
Even then, this site covers the info on albums in a much more deep and complete way than JGML IMHO.

I, for one, feel happy to contribute to this site if just a little bit and see that it acutally helps the site get bigger and more a point of reference (I'll definitely keep doing what I can ).

So, don't hesitate to give yourselves a pat in the back. Congratulations!

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!
Old Mar 16, 2008, 02:33 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

I am glad the site is going well, and keeps growing day by day.

There is sure enough stuff left to go for the 10K milestone. There is still lot of stuff from GMR to check and post here.

Thanks to the numerous contributors.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 03:48 PM
VGMdb Advisor

This is indeed a reason to celebrate!

VGMdb is an attractive corner of the Web, with new albums being continuously added to the already quite large database and ultra nice features not found elsewhere. And the best thing is that it's still growing, not even having reached its full potential yet.

A good example of how community/team work can lead to great results, although Blah and you deserve double-praises for reviving and revigorating Gamingforce Audio.

I'd like to contribute more, but my current game music research activities aren't so often around albums (or at least, ones not listed here yet). Still, I'm looking to continue contributing my share into what seems like a bright future for VGMdb.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 03:10 AM

I've added several albums, so I guess I can partake in the celebration! Good job, everyone!

Champagne!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 08:39 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I'll give an applause that vgmdb is still growing, improving, and maturing =)
Cheers to it's future!

(And an applause that JGML was and is entirely maintained by 1 person!!)
Old Mar 17, 2008, 09:34 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
(And an applause that JGML was and is entirely maintained by 1 person!!)
Which is pretty awesome.

But yeah, here's to 10 000th album submission, shall we start betting how fast VGMdb will see that.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:03 PM

Awesome amount the site has reached. Next is 10,000!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:09 AM

I'm ready to keep the data coming anytime, anywhere!
Old Mar 24, 2008, 01:24 AM
VGMdb Administrator

This is quite a significant milestone considering that, barely a month ago, VGMdb was on the verge of being completely wiped out.

There'll undoubtedly be many more storms to weather, but this time we'll be prepared!
Old Mar 24, 2008, 04:04 AM
VGMdb Administrator

In a strange twist, I finally noticed the text that shows after you perform a search on JGML.

6842件のデータのうち80件該当しました。

Looks like I was wrong. I got my number from the last record in their database, but like ours, there were many deletions over the years. It looks like JGML only has 6842 entires, so we're actually more than 500 ahead.