VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 26, 2010, 05:09 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The FF7 OST booklet says her maiden name was "Fukushi," but the U.S. end credits says "Fukushima." It's written 福島 (source: Masashi Hamauzu's blog, 2007-10-18 entry), which I think would usually be Fukushima, but both are possible according to ENAMDICT. Does anyone know which one is right?

(also I just noticed that Matsue writes "Hamauzu" as 濱渦, but Masashi uses the simplified 浜渦; maybe some variations are in order)
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:06 PM

I didn't know Hamauzu himself explained this.

From his old blog (not sure how to get a permanent link)
Quote:
私の姓の「浜」の字ですが、ある時までずっと「濱」と書いていました。入社する頃だったか、謄本か何かを確 認していたときに、実はこれは間違いで、ウ冠の下が眉に足二本のが本当だということに気付きました。何でそ んなことになったのか、大した理由はなかったようなのですが、慣れていた事や正しい方が普通には変換できな いこともあって、しばらく放置していました。で、サントラで名前を乗せるときになってハッキリ決めておこう ということで「簡単な浜で」ということになったのですが、それ以後も社内用のシャチハタ等は「濱」のままで 、稀にそっちの方で公式に名前が出てしまう事もありました。日本には浜渦姓は1500人くらいいるらしいで すね。色んな職業の方がいるようで…。
According to this, his actual given name was 濵渦 in Kanji, but he had used "濱", a bit simplified variation, until he joined in Square and decided to go with "浜", an even more simplified variation. So even if we occasionally see them use "濱", it's not correct nor is preferred by Masashi.