VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:21 AM

Default When to Add New Entries

I'm curious as to when it is time to add a new entry for an album. Example:

Wizorb Soundtrack originally came out as a digital enclosure in Humble Bundle 6. However, in March of this year, it was distributed via Bandcamp for $2 CAD. This would mark 5 changes to the entry's established information (Release Date, Publish Format, Release Price, Published by, and Availability). However, I've purchased and checked the Bandcamp release version and noticed no change to the tracklist/contents.

Question 1: Would I create a new entry for this release, or would I list it list it as 'Bandcamp (digital)' under Availability?
Question 2: Generally, what factors would call for a new album entry?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 06:25 PM

I think you should put the Bandcamp link on the album page, but don't change the other info. Maybe write a note that it was later released on Bandcamp and at what date and price.

The threshold I've observed for creating a new entry is when there's a tracklist difference or there's been a physical reprint (even if the original release was physical). If there are two albums that are otherwise the same but with different catalog numbers that is also probably grounds for a new entry. Of course I'm not staff and even staff don't always agree.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:00 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Yes, such "re-releases" are not worth a new entry if there are no new/different contents.
You can put the bandcamp link into the "available at", and if you really want to mention it, you can add in the notes "was also released on Bandcamp on the xx/xx/20xx for xx price".
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the info, _if & Myrkul. I'll keep that noted when coming across such instances. Much appreciated.